• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923 No Mess oil and filter change.

wrlacy

Hello everyone. This is my first ever post on this great site!!! I hope my nooby credentials won't show too bad to all you Generals. I desire to change the engine oil and filter on my newly won M923 w/NHC250. However, when I look at that horizontally oriented oil filter canister, I worry that as soon as I loosen the bolt I will have a HUGE oily mess on my hands. Is there some way to drain the filter canister first before I open it up??? Mucho thanks in advance.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the site, lots of good info and tech manuals are listed and available. Your answer to all your tech questions are contained in the TMs. Down load and retain. The canister has a small drain plug at it's 6 o'clock position. Drain into suitable container prior to loosening the canister through bolt. Upgarde your oil filter with a spin on oil filter adapter. Oh by the way I have the for sale listed in the classified. Make future filter changed a breeze. Read up, have fun, and enjoy your new truck.
JC

wrlacy

Thank you Scar... I have been reading for a month now and I missed that lower drain bolt. I already have the spin-on modification but when I opened the box there were instructions about a different thru bolt length (not included of course). I don't have the spin on filter itself yet. Will I be able to re-use the original thru bolt on the new spin on filter? That bolt is pretty long. Oh, and forget my title about a NO MESS oil change. All I've ever changed is a 5qt capacity oil pan. The pressure of that 27qt oil pan blew the bolt & washer right out of my hand and directed a black spray horizontally over the top of my pan. :sad:

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used a section of heater hose after I pulled the plug on the canister to direct the flow into my drain pan. It will only drain for a few minutes maybe 2-3 qts of what was in the filter housing.

The spin on filter conversion should have its own bolt which is much shorter maybe 5 inch than the one on the canister. Normally they have 2 gaskets for a vertical or horizontal application. Make sure to use the horizontal gasket. The bolt size might be listed on the forum in a different thread.

Hastings or fleetguard (oe for Cummings) make the spin on. Baldwin is a reboxed hastings. Many have reported issues with the wix (same as NAPA) filter base not fitting right.

I got my hastings (with bolt) from B line filter in Odessa Tx for $69. It takes a very common Cummings spin on filter. They can be purchased also in extended drain intervals or efficiency. NAPA 1970 or 1970XD or 1970XE . For wix part numbers add a 5 to the beginning of the part number.

You can see pics of my install under my thread "Major Zippidy"

Last edited:

wrlacy

Thanks for the info juanprado. Wouldn't you know I have the WIX spin-on adapter and it did NOT have the bolt with it. I will check out your pictures.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't recall why but I remember the wix being an issue when I researched as a former NAPA mgr I would have preferred a wix as I had hook ups with NAPA pricing :)

Search the 5 ton forums or NHC 250 spin on conversions. I suck at searching so I probably just stumbled on it .....

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
WR,
The adapter kit I have in the classified is complete with correct bolt and Fleetgard spin on filter. As for a drain pan to catch the oil pan deluge, a small kiddie pool is not a bad idea.
JC

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Stoner, I have them listed in the classified "Parts for sale" $130.00 includes shipping. Kit also includes "the bolt". PM me for purchace details. Thanks JC
oil filter.jpg

kennys@wi.rr.com

I found out that a friend of mine had one of these in his shop so I grabbed it and tried to put it on. For the life of me I couldn't get the base of it to get any closer that an inch away from seating to the motor. It had been in the shop a long time and of course there was no form of direction with it so what am I missing? Part number is the same and it looks the same so I don't think it was misslabled.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kenny,
Not sure what would cause your concern. Once the original filter canister is removed, the engine pad should be clean of all hardware and the bolt hole open. Do you have the bolt that came with the kit? A small rubber gasket is required on the adapter bolt flange and a large rubber gasket seals the outer edge of the adapter/engine mount pad. Has the adapter been modified?

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I found out that a friend of mine had one of these in his shop so I grabbed it and tried to put it on. For the life of me I couldn't get the base of it to get any closer that an inch away from seating to the motor. It had been in the shop a long time and of course there was no form of direction with it so what am I missing? Part number is the same and it looks the same so I don't think it was misslabled.
Did you remove the rubber that might have been left on the inside bolt shaft on the motor and use the thinner of the two inner rubber washers.

kennys@wi.rr.com

All former gaskets had been removed. As you can see in the attached picture I couldn't get it on any farther than that. It hit the original metal nipple hard and that was it. That's why I figured I must be missing a step or something more needed to be removed.

Attachments

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's-not right. Takes pictures of just the engine filter pad. Something remains from the canister. This is one of the simplest jobs to be accomplished.

kennys@wi.rr.com

I have to run the truck to my dads for the weekend but when I get it back to my house I will pull the can off and take a picture of the pad straight on. Like I said I knew I had to be missing something here.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It might be the wrong adapter. The first one I got was wrong. I'm not home or I would check the number. I don't think there is anything to remove before installing the adapter other than the filter.

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Better yet, take a couple photos of the adapter plate, both sides, you may have a similar but different adapter. If
all fails, I sell the adapter and filter kit. Posted in the classifieds. I have sold several dozen kits, and other that a little confusion over what O ring to use, (#3 ,thinner one). All kits have gone right on. Keep us posted.
JC

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
looks like something is in the hole of the adapter plate in the pic like a piece of rubber and washer. Yea the right one go on easy,

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks