• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Transmission Removal Crossbar

misterbill64

I read a lot of posts on here about different ways of removing a deuce transmission, and liked the thought of a cross post from the dash to rear of cab, well while gathering parts for the transmission I thought I might try to come up with abetter mouse trap so to speak. I took a piece of 2 ½ outer diameter pipe I had laying around cut it to length and welded a piece of angle iron on each end tolay on the cab. I have a hard top so I made it just fit between the center windshield post and the hard top, that makes it so it can’t move back and forth, angle iron won’t let it roll. Then I took a piece of ¼ steel and bent it around the pipe, took a 3” caster wheel and bolted it in the u saddle then drilled and put an I bolt in the center. I hooked a chain hoist to the I bolt to raise and lower it, and it rolls back and forth on the pipe. Total cost was 19.00 at lowes for a caster, ¼ steel, and an I bolt.

DSCN2802.jpgDSCN2803.jpgDSCN2804.jpgDSCN2805.jpg

Last edited:

Al Harvey

Having the caster wheel will make it nice. I used my tractor boom with a chain hoisted attached to it. Work great until installing, had to use a pry bar to hold the tranny forward while trying to start the bolts.

JH1

You can also put a 4x4 across the cab sideways, resting on each door, but it makes it harder to work in there. Don't forget to use a load balancer if you have one (HF cheapie works great) so that you can tilt the tranny just right to insert it into the clutch.
Jim

machinist75

I may be wrong but it looks like you have a piece of aluminum tacked up on the back side. Be carefull of that if it comes loose, it may want to roll. If its steel my apologies.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I put the pipe though the back and front window, rig a chain over the pipe, hook a come-e-long to the trans and another come-a-long from the back of the pipe to the chain, this pulls the trans back or rig off the other end to pull it in, real easy to pull or install a 5t trans, a deucs trans should be even easer

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That looks like a great idea!

Thanks for posting it.

ptg530C

That is a good idea. I generally start by putting a 4 x 8 plywood board down to create a surface to roll a trans jack on and it makes it a little nicer to lay on the ground. Removing the trans is the easy part.

Beyond Biodiesel

I am now 3 6-hour days into pulling the transmission out of my M756A2, and cannot seem to budge the transmission. I of course have removed all of the bolts that I can find holding it to the engine, as well as all of the linkage, and the transfer case.

I have the transmission rapped with chain and a come-along attached to a tow strap which is rapped tightly around my hard top. Also, does anyone know how heavy the deuce transmission is?

I have read through every thread here that I can find on the subject, as well as downloaded every TM on the deuce here, and have not found a single discussion in those TMs regarding removing the transmission. So, it would be very nice if someone could direct me to a detailed description of pulling the transmission out of a deuce. Thanks folks, you have all been great guiding me through the other repairs that I have implemented on my deuce.

Last edited:

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
I am now 3 6-hour days into pulling the transmission out of my M756A2, and cannot seem to budge the transmission. I of course have removed all of the bolts that I can find holding it to the engine, as well as all of the linkage, and the transfer case.

I have the transmission rapped with chain and a come-along attached to a tow strap which is rapped tightly around my hard top. Also, does anyone know how heavy the deuce transmission is?

I have read through every thread here that I can find on the subject, as well as downloaded every TM on the deuce here, and have not found a single discussion in those TMs regarding removing the transmission. So, it would be very nice if someone could direct me to a detailed description of pulling the transmission out of a deuce. Thanks folks, you have all been great guiding me through the other repairs that I have implemented on my deuce.
"around the hardtop"!?
look in here, much information and photos
https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?66526-Transfer-Case-removal-replacing

and in here is a video which hurts my brain to watch it
https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showt...-of-M35A2-w-w-transmission-removal-spice-3053

Last edited:

Big Z

TM9-2320-209-34-2-1, chapter 8 has transmission removal. If everything is disconnected, I'd think either your input shaft is stuck in the pilot bushing or you otherwise have too much bind from how you're lifting it.

davidb56

What Big Z said. I pulled a 460 engine off a ZF5 transmission last week and it was stuck bad. I have a engine cherry picker and a transmission jack with 4 way adjustment. I ended up putting in bolt/studs so I could measure the gap between it at different spots to make sure I didn't have it in a bind. Doesn't help that it was in the forest sitting for 7 years.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The real one...
Real: yes. But a practical tool for Deuce owners to have: absolutely not!

I have seen it installed and in service - heavy, bulky, not really user friendly. By the time you have it ready to work you would be halfway done with much more simpler methods.

winfred

i always modify my engine hoists with a winch or come a long for either a tilting device or extra grab point (this is version 3.0 and would be perfect if the folding hoist wasn't such a floppy POS, the legs will be welded solid when i don't need it to be easily stowed) but it also makes it a crane, which worked well when i swapped transfer cases, i suspect it would work for the tranny too

image1.jpgimage2.jpgimage3.jpgimage4.jpgimage5.jpgimage6.jpg

silverstate55

Useless
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Since I didn't see it listed, have you tried the rapping on wood blocks placed against trans with a dead-blow hammer method? As in trying to tap it loose/out?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks