• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Paint Information (Codes and Sources)

bimbly

I've had a few private messages of people not being able to get some paints successfully at Home Depot anymore. I just got done looking through our computer system at the paint mix desk. It seems we purged some of the older paint codes from our system. More modern codes, 34094, 30051, etc. are still in the system. You can get a list of the codes in our computer by going under Competitor Color look up and selecting Federal Standard as the manufacturer then have them enter the five number code. Hope that helps some of you guys out.

Last edited by a moderator:

SturmTyger380

Yesterday I had to run by Home Depot to pick up some plywood and decided to by a gallon of Behr paint to try out on some parts I have. I want to do the 4 color MERDC and would like to use Forest Green FS 34079 as the base.

The guy at the paint counter had no problems following the instructions I printed to go to the Competitor / Fed Standard look up.

The thing was when he got there he could pull up a bunch of the FS34*** paint codes but could not pull up the FS34079. Has anyone else had that problem or was this FS number replaced by another number or discontinued?

I might try another store but he indicated his computer connected to a server to look the codes up.

Alan

SturmTyger380

I found this very useful website that is in the UK but it lists paint colors for codes you enter. If you click on the color it will list all its alternatives in order of the closest match. So I put in 34079 which is a flat paint and clicked on the color and it came up with the closest match of 24079 a semi-gloss.

http://www.e-paint.co.uk/Colour_alt...079&metallic2=False&cDescription=Forest green

So I went back to Home Depot and had the guy look up 24079 and he found it. Then we just used a flat base instead of the semi-gloss.

So I am good to go and thanks to jeepsguy I will get a rebate on 4 gallons. Whoohooo!!! :jumpin:

1954 COE

Went to Home Depot today with a copy of the picture posted last year

and they made it up without issues. Going to get the $10.00 rebate from the folks at Behr, and the lady who made the paint up for me asked if I had a Pro member
account and I told her I wasn't aware of what she was speaking about. Long story short, you can set yourself up as an individual account and they will give you a
minimum of 10% and up to 20% depending on the amount of the sale on paint products only. Not bad. Worth looking into, got 10 bucks plus 5 bucks off for a net price
of $30.00 a gallon on the paint. Took some Rapco 383 green and placed a sample on the top, and when it was dried, I couldn't tell the difference between the two.

mikey

I've had a few private messages of people not being able to get some paints successfully at Home Depot anymore. I just got done looking through our computer system at the paint mix desk. It seems we purged some of the older paint codes from our system. More modern codes, 34094, 30051, etc. are still in the system. You can get a list of the codes in our computer by going under Competitor Color look up and selecting Federal Standard as the manufacturer then have them enter the five number code. Hope that helps some of you guys out.
I am still having a hard time with HD finding the actual 24087. I printed off this actual post and brought it with me and they could not find it. I even went on the day that the "paint guru" at my local store was working and he could not find it using the above instructions.

I have tried color matching and it is close but not true.

Does anyone have a color code for HD Behr Premium Plus for 24087 OR a method that works to locate it in the HD computer system? Again, I'm not looking for a close match, I have done that myself. I'm looking for true 24087 and this is year two of this search.

Thanks!

Mikey

Csm Davis

I am still having a hard time with HD finding the actual 24087. I printed off this actual post and brought it with me and they could not find it. I even went on the day that the "paint guru" at my local store was working and he could not find it using the above instructions.

I have tried color matching and it is close but not true.

Does anyone have a color code for HD Behr Premium Plus for 24087 OR a method that works to locate it in the HD computer system? Again, I'm not looking for a close match, I have done that myself. I'm looking for true 24087 and this is year two of this search.

Thanks!

Mikey
The great David Doyle says if you do find it in the new FS codes it will not be the same color as was the 70's color. Because the color for that code was changed with the new codes.

sent from my decrepit fingers

mikey

The great David Doyle says if you do find it in the new FS codes it will not be the same color as was the 70's color. Because the color for that code was changed with the new codes.

sent from my decrepit fingers
Thanks to you and Mr. Doyle. If that is what he says, and his advice carries significant weight, then there is no point in me stressing over trying to find it. My color matches have been "good enough" for parade duty. I'll stick with those.

Thanks again

Mikey

TwistedOaks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
100% Match to Rapco 686 was found through HD this week, using the words "Competitor Color Match, Federal Standard, 33446". Why I ever wasted my time with 12 packs of Rapco, I'll never know. 30 minutes with my HF crap gun, and it came out amazing. Took 3 days to fully dry in here in humid FLA.

drivebymashing

I went to HD and had them type in 34088 od green in behr 4300. 27 dollars for a gallon. Came up in their system easily. Is there a lowes brand paint similar quality to behr that can be used on our trucks?

TwistedOaks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I went to HD and had them type in 34088 od green in behr 4300. 27 dollars for a gallon. Came up in their system easily. Is there a lowes brand paint similar quality to behr that can be used on our trucks?
I went 10 rounds with Lowes, even went so far as to try and color match... Don't bother. Lowes is far closer to me than HD, but there's some things that they just can't do.

gahi

100% Match to Rapco 686 was found through HD this week, using the words "Competitor Color Match, Federal Standard, 33446". Why I ever wasted my time with 12 packs of Rapco, I'll never know. 30 minutes with my HF crap gun, and it came out amazing. Took 3 days to fully dry in here in humid FLA.
Do you have the actual Behr code for this? My local hardware store doesn't have FS lookup, but they can look up Behr.

Thanks,

Last edited by a moderator:

orgnal

Can one you please tell me the color code for the green interior on HMMWV m998? Is it same as 383 CARC?

Here is Mike/wsucougarsx formula for 383 CARC

"Home Depot - Base = Behr Premium Plus Exterior Flat, Matte Deep Base #4300

Colorant............. OZ... 384th
AX-Perm Yellow... 2....... 68
D-Thalo Green..... 1...... 16
KX-White............. 0...... 112
L-Raw Umber...... 8....... 80 "

Thank you in advance.

fasttruck

I recall when they were new in 1977 they were pained solid 383 green with no aircraft stars etc. Units added additional camo colors depending on their environment.

wilfreeman

I just got back from Home Depot with a gallon of Behr Marquee exterior 24052! The color looks like USMC green, but I won't know for sure until I spray some.

Last time I went the guy couldn't find the number (a couple of years ago). Kind of pricey, but cheaper and quicker than ordering it.

Anyhow, here's the sticker for it:

20170115_111650.jpg

Turned out pretty good. Painted the driver side of my USMC M38a1.
20170115_161736.jpg
Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I want the black that is equal to FS 37030, for the bottom but don't want latex acrylic, like the Behr or Ace that I recently had made. I want Rustoleum oil based.

When I get flat black in Rustoleum, it isn't the same as the FS 37030 black. I watched at Ace and noticed that when they mixed the FS black, there was half as much blue that went in as the black.

So my question is, to improvise for an oil based flat black, can I have the store add in the same amount of blue colorant as the FS that Ace mixed and expect to have a flat black oil base paint that is "near" perfect match to the acrylic black 37030?

Last edited:

Csm Davis

I want the black that is equal to FS 37030, for the bottom but don't want latex acrylic, like the Behr or Ace that I recently had made. I want Rustoleum oil based.

When I get flat black in Rustoleum, it isn't the same as the FS 37030 black. I watched at Ace and noticed that when they mixed the FS black, there was half as much blue that went in as the black.

So my question is, to improvise for an oil based flat black, can I have the store add in the same amount of blue colorant as the FS that Ace mixed and expect to have a flat black oil base paint that is "near" perfect match to the acrylic black 37030?
Who are you having mix your oil base? Most places have gone to computer based mixing and can look up the codes, if you can get them to spend some time looking, if not ask if the can use the mixture codes off a can of Behr or as a last ditch just add blue.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Jeff. I got the amounts off of Ace by mixing up the FS 37030 and there was twice as much black put into the base as there was blue. I have the amount of blue noted in the formula on top of the can.

I'm going to use Rustoleum flat black oil as a base and add the same amount of blue as the acrylic latex mix.

I'm having a problem, I used thinner in my rustoleum red primer and it was kinda old. I put some oil black over that and I seem to have some small orange peel. That makes me wonder about the primer, since the OP is widespread. I'm going to give a few days more to dry and then scrape to see if it comes loose. Glad it's just the under frame and not the entire trailer. The bed portion will be the Behr Acrylic latex over CARC, not rusty bare metal like the frame.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
AWESOME READ AND AWESOME IDEA TO USE BEHR PAINT... BUT:

As of November 25, 2018, I'm totally confused by this thread.

Seems like the thread goes back to 2013.

Some later posts say formulations have changed (seem like some time around 2016?). Other posts say use 5 digit codes. Other posts give ingredient formulas to make certain colors. One post talks about giving 5 digit codes to Home Despot paint people under "Competitor Color Guides".

Which and what is it?

Alls I want is formulation for a HMMWV to repaint as green based camouflage, with matching paint to turn a tan M1102 trailer to match the Camo HMMWV.

I guess I need to know WHICH green to use, as well as WHICH Black and Brown. I have no problem with 5 digit codes or recipes or both.

Maybe the paint codes could also be arranged and grouped as year/conflict/military division specific/specific uses (like Camoflage).

MODS - Please consider removing this post or changing it to just answer about camouflage green/black/brown for present conflict vehicles.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I always have them look it up in their computer by the 5 digit # . A lot of the "matched" and other "sort of" are off. These are the (FS) Federal Standard 5 digit # since before the HMMWV came out, and are still the correct US/NATO 3 color cammo paint colors.

Tell the Home Depot clerk the list of the FS codes in the HD paint computer is found by going under "Competitor Color look up" and selecting Federal Standard as the manufacturer then have them enter just the five number code.

Green 383.............34094
Black...................37030
Brown 383............30051
This a pic of the last 383 FS34094 I got, it can also work with other Behr grades
34094.jpg

Do you have the actual Behr code for this? My local hardware store doesn't have FS lookup, but they can look up Behr.

Thanks,
You got a guy that doesn't know how to use the puter, the "competitors color match" is in the Behr program of their color computer

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks