• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Line Drawings

YoImIzzo

Hello to all who read this. I'm posting here as I'm not really sure where this thread should go. Mods and admins, if this is the wrong area, I apologize and please post it to the right spot. FNGs. What are you going to do with us?

A bit of introduction: My husband and I run a small business out of our home that involves scale model military. We are not trying to sell on this website, simply trying to gain research and resource information. You guys are working in what is known as 1:1 scale. It's the real thing. We work in 1:160 scale, but we need it to all be as exact as possible. I found this site while searching for line drawings for a CUCV, took a look around and thought that people who are way more familiar with multiple vehicle styles would be perfect. I am a veteran, my husband is not (I'd never marry a soldier, you know how crazy those people are?) and while I am pretty familiar with some types of vehicles, we want to expand our line of military equipment.

A short list of what we are looking with regard to line drawings would be as follows: CUCV in both the Blazer and pickup body styles, 1.5T Trailers, 2.5T cargo trucks, 5T cargo and wreckers, tank and pump units on 5T trucks, 7.5T fork lifts, front end loaders, any modern 2.5T cargo trucks. With regard to a lot of what we do, in some cases a simple picture with something in it to give a sense of scale works. In this instance, because there are so many different things mounted on the vehicles, that won't really work. An example: On the CUCV, there are towing clevises, blackout lights, the brush beater mounted in front of the radiator, antenna mounts at the rear.

Allow me to express my thanks and gratitude in advance for any assistance and information given. I can be reached through private message here on the website, at joan@kenraymodels.com or info@kenraymodels.com and if anyone would like to see what we do, our website is www.kenraymodels.com

Thanks for your time

Another Ahab

Hey YoImIzzo, welcome to you from here in Virginia.

Don't know a lot about scale modeling, and always interested to learn something new:

- What material do you manufacture your modeling with; looks like some kind of zinc alloy. Am I seeing that right?

Last edited:

YoImIzzo

Thanks for the info, Jeff. Appreciate it =)

Hi Ahab, thanks from northwestern PA.

We use a jewelry grade pewter and a two part resin. We do both spin casting and poured casting.

Another Ahab

You guys are working in what is known as 1:1 scale. It's the real thing. We work in 1:160 scale, but we need it to all be as exact as possible.
Izzo, what's the story on that scale? I'm wondering who came up with it, and why?

I mean, maybe it's just random and "The First" Model Railroader just pulled it out of the blue, but is there a story behind it?

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As I know it....

HO scale is 1:87. They wanted a scale about 1/2 that, but settled on a "more round" number at 1:160 and called it N-Scale (or some refer to N-Guage). I believe it was based on the available small motors that were being produced for other applications, and established the "scale standard" around that technology.

There is also Z-Scale now. It's about 1/2 the N-Scale standard.

Google is your friend - check it out there.

Another Ahab

As I know it....

HO scale is 1:87. They wanted a scale about 1/2 that, but settled on a "more round" number at 1:160 and called it N-Scale (or some refer to N-Guage). I believe it was based on the available small motors that were being produced for other applications, and established the "scale standard" around that technology.

There is also Z-Scale now. It's about 1/2 the N-Scale standard.

Google is your friend - check it out there.
You're right, of course, ColdWarrior.

And I apologize. Sometimes I'm just plumb lazy!

YoImIzzo

Cold Warrior is correct. That is the origin of N scale or gauge, however a modeler chooses to call it. The origin of KenRay Models into military is more modest: my husband wanted WW II military equipment on flatcars and there were none available without scratch building. So he scratch built some, our original partner asked if they could make some money with the cars and that was the birth of a small business.

As a veteran myself who did work many years in unit maintenance as a PLL/TAMMS clerk, my gear is stowed and I'm ready to roll out!

Another Ahab

Cold Warrior is correct. That is the origin of N scale or gauge, however a modeler chooses to call it. The origin of KenRay Models into military is more modest: my husband wanted WW II military equipment on flatcars and there were none available without scratch building. So he scratch built some, our original partner asked if they could make some money with the cars and that was the birth of a small business.

As a veteran myself who did work many years in unit maintenance as a PLL/TAMMS clerk, my gear is stowed and I'm ready to roll out!
Hey Izzo, that's a great story on your start-up. Wishing you all total fulfillment and continuous success in your new small business.

Please keep us posted (you know, in whatever the correct forum is, just no moderators feel a need to sweep up around us) of your developments and goings-on.

I'm not a modeler, but I learned a long time ago that you can learn something about everything in almost anything (there's Truth to surprise one sometimes in the unlikeliest of places). Glad you all are on board. Cheers.

Last edited:

YoImIzzo

The WW II era deuces we produce now are designed to work with the 40 foot flatcars. You have a couple options on this: 1. Put the deuces on with some sort of trailer, i.e., a towed artillery piece, or even another vehicle. 2. Give us a couple months, we'll have M35 deuces and 1.5T trailers to go with. Keep checking the website, it's under pretty constant construction, but we are trying to keep up.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks