• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Paralleling two or more MEP 002A or 003A

peapvp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I did this Video Tutorial today. I really don't want to rain on any ones parade, but I thought I might put my 25 cents in on this one.

But there are three ways of doing this:

The wrong way - it somehow works way and a right way of doing this

This Part 1 of 4 - I will do the other parts as time permits.

http://youtu.be/kgR-gEquVqs

Munchies

You had me right until digital control. I think thats the BEST way, but the 004-007 are basically using the 'lightbulb' phase sync method and you are instructed to flip the control switch for the contactor. The only difference in my mind between an 002/003 and an 004-007 is that the 004-007 use the control lead between sets to slave the voltage regulators. But how precise is this? Major benefits here being that the slaved VR's can respond with loads being applied and removed keeping the voltage the same.... Good talking points.

edit. watched the rest, you did touch on common control..
If i was going to make one I would add in contactors on both and have the parallel board close it for me for simplicity sake.

Last edited:

LuckyDog

Dupe Thread:

Sewerzuk already showed how to parallel the 002 and 003:
Here

I can't see the video due to firewall at work. Pics and Videos are always good though.

Just curious, if there are 3 ways to do it, why is there 4 parts? :rolleyes:

And are you going to really show the "Wrong Way"? :razz:

peapvp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the comments

Here is what we are going to cover in the other Video Tutorial Parts:

Part 2: Theory of synchronizing and locking in the Output Frequencies, discussion of general problems of paralleling Generators with two or more independent Governors

Part 3: Operating both Voltage Controller Boards from one Potentiometer / Rheostat - explaining the wiring changes and parts needed

Part 4: A Simple automatic switch to connect the 2nd(3rd etc) Generator at exactly the right time and modifying the Governor system to assure locked and synced operations, even under heavy load - explanation of circuit, wiring changes and parts needed

each part is going to be between 10 to 20 minutes - that's why I broke this up into four parts

Last edited:

Munchies

You are absolutely correct re the timing and light method, but I think one thing is being overlooked perhaps.
There is a decent amount of wiggle room, and as long as your are more IN phase than out, after flipping your breaker you lock the rotors together effectively. When this happens it will not lock each right where its at, it will violently speed or slow both sets very slightly and lock them perfectly in phase. This is why the military equipped the 004-007 sets with dual phase indication lamps and is done by looking at the lights and flipping a switch to close the main contactor. The slight mismatch in voltage between sets is a much bigger concern, but can be fixed as mentioned by tying the VR's together.

peapvp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am currently quite busy and the remaining videos will have to wait a couple more weeks.
Thanks

PeterD

Just to add, I know another MEP-003 user who parallels them. He only does it if he has to, but he can do it. Once paralleled they stay in sync until either the connection is broken or you have some mechanical failure.

3dAngus

Just curious, what is the hazard if there is a failure in one of the two MEP-002s.
If the VR went out and voltages fell from 120v to 100v, would this create a house brownout?
Any other risks?

peapvp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the VR goes out then the generator will not produce any Voltage anymore. The excite Voltage collapses and that will trip the circuit breaker of the unit which is still running. This situation is not as bad as two gensets paralleled with a small voltage difference. This situation will overheat the lower voltage generator and burn the coil over time (usually several ten's of minutes) without tripping the circuit breaker of the higher voltage genset. See my first video of this series in a post below(above).

peapvp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wanted to add the formula on how to calculate the currents flowing in an unbalanced parralled Genst last night, but my sausage fingers were to big for my Android Tablet with it's touchscreen.

So, I am going to post it now from my PC. I like when guys like 3DAngus ask questions.

The internal Resistance of the Generator Coil is 0.1 Ohm for both Units 002A and 003A

I would like to give you the formula based on 3DAngus question about the 120Volt to 100Volt imbalance:

First we subtract the lower Voltage form the Higher Voltage:
120VAC - 100VAC = 20 VAC Differential Voltage

Secondly, now we can calculate the current flow with Ohms Law:

I = U/R where U=20VAC and R=0.1Ohm Internal Resistance

I = 20/0.1 = 200 Amps

This will trip the breaker definetly on the Higher Voltage Generator almost instantaneously - meaning no damage to either Genset

another example:

120VAC - 116VAC = 4VAC

I = 4V/0.1Ohm = 40 Amps

This example will not trip the Circuit Breaker, depending whether or not there is an additional load attached to the paralleled Gensets. Assuming a no external load condition, this paralleled Genset Pair will get damaged within less then 20 minutes of operation due to overheat of the coil.

Again, a small Voltage difference between say 1Volt to 5 Volt will most likely not trip any Circuit Breaker since the Amp Values are to small, but will cause the Coil on the Genset with the lower Voltage to burn out over time.

peapvp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Original Video Part 1 posted 12.08.2013: Introduction to Paralleling Generators (prim

Back by popular demand. I had inadvertently made changes to my YouTube channel and deleted the 4 videos

This is the original Video Part 1 posted 12.08.2013: Introduction to Paralleling Generators (primarily 002A and 003A)

This was pre-HD......
https://youtu.be/6UuEonP4qAY

I did this Video Tutorial today. I really don't want to rain on any ones parade, but I thought I might put my 25 cents in on this one.

But there are three ways of doing this:

The wrong way - it somehow works way and a right way of doing this

This Part 1 of 4 - I will do the other parts as time permits.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks