• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Leaking Fuel Pump

soldierman79

Cranked up the M1009 yesterday and went back inside to let her warm up. When I came back out there was a small puddle of diesel fuel on the driveway.

It appears to be coming from the center seam in the fuel pump, from what I can tell.

So, before I replace it, I wanted to ask y'all what you thought. Should I go with an electric pump? If not, any tip for replacing the original manual pump? Will I need to bleed the lines after I replace the pump?

Hasdrubal

Get an AC Delco pump, dont use a Carter, they are worthless junk that fail prematurely.

On the lift pump replacement ; Its easier to get the rear most bolt started first as it has the worst access. Its the harder one to get in so do it first, doing the front one first can lead you to spend hours trying to get the rear bolt aligned. Just thread it on a few turns..then install fuel fitting and tighten fitting, its almost impossible to do if you do the bolts up first. Then install the forward bolt, lastly tighten the rear bolt. On rear bolt I use a 1/4" ratchet with combination of short socket and extension and just a deep socket. The clearance is very tight, Helps to put some gasket sealer on gasket so it stays in place.

If your push rod isn't seated in all the way, put a socket with extension bar on one of the crank pulley bolts and you can turn the motor over.

You'll need to bleed the fuel filter, disconnect the pink wire to the IP solenoid so you dont introduce air into injection lines.

I_Publius

Having just changed out my fuel pump, I can tell you that I did not bleed the line immediately after changing it out. It started fine the next day, but........after running it for about 30 miles, I couldn't get it started again. Finally, after three weeks worth of troubleshooting, I finally determined (through help from the members on this site) that it was most likely air in the line. Since I have a spin on fuel filter, someone suggested I add a petcock to it and bleed the air out that way. After I did that, it started right up.

All that to say, Yes...be sure to bleed the air. :)

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm looking at this thread;
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?76287-Electric-fuel-pump-recommendation

Looks like I may go with the Airtex E8153 Electric Fuel Pump instead of replacing the manual lift pump.
I have the Airtex, same type on M62 but in 24 volts. I have burned out 2 of these pumps before going back and fixing the mechanical pump.

If you do go that route I would recommend you that have a tested spare in the vehicle at all times as they are not that reliable.

So do you really want to add another failure point into the system??

soldierman79

I have the Airtex, same type on M62 but in 24 volts. I have burned out 2 of these pumps before going back and fixing the mechanical pump.

If you do go that route I would recommend you that have a tested spare in the vehicle at all times as they are not that reliable.

So do you really want to add another failure point into the system??
Dangit!

I already bought it and have it mostly installed. Thanks for the heads up! I'll keep an eye on it. I've done the 12v conversion on this CUCV, I purchased the 12v fuel pump. How long did it last until it burned up?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What part number 24 volt pump are you referring to.

Are you 100% your voltage is correct?

I'd disagree with your statement of reliability.

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What part number 24 volt pump are you referring to.

Are you 100% your voltage is correct?

I'd disagree with your statement of reliability.
Airtex E8135

One died during running
One died when the fuel tank ran empty and the pump was shut off within 30 seconds but it did not matter

That is my experience.

Voltage has not been checked since the initial installation.

The third pump now is installed but only used for priming.

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dangit!

I already bought it and have it mostly installed. Thanks for the heads up! I'll keep an eye on it. I've done the 12v conversion on this CUCV, I purchased the 12v fuel pump. How long did it last until it burned up?

Just for future reference when you buy your next CUCV you could have pulled 12 volts from the front battery, lights, heater etc. The starter circuit is the only 24 volt circuit in the system.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Interesting, thanks for the reply.

I've had good luck with that very same pump.

soldierman79

Well, got the electric fuel pump installed and wired up. Put a new fuel filter (really easy to bleed with the electric pump).

Truck started up and ran great!

In fact, she seemed to start easier and had a little more pep in her step.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks