• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Restoration Thread for M32 w/sidecar WW2 AAF Flight Line untility vehicle

Torisco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very Cool Project! There is a thread on the site for Electrolysis rust removal that uses soda soap, water, a battery charger and some homemade dip tank apparatus. That might be helpful for the big parts.
Thanks, I appreciate the information. I have been wondering what I am going to do when I have to remove some heavy rust from under the frame of the vehicle. It is a little over 5 feet long and is an oddly shaped single piece.

Torisco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A definite need to buy something green

I could not resist posting the pictures below. My brother went wild with the M35A2 and M43B1 that I had restored. He went with me to Tower Park in the fall and almost went away with a M38 jeep, and then almost went away with a m38A1 jeep and trailer. But, he just did not quite bite the bullet.

As we all know...the O.D. Green disease can be really wild in some folk. So, when I said I was going after a little 3-wheeled steel soldier it sent him over the edge. He wanted to help me on all aspects of the restore of the little steel soldier and, did in fact, help with dismantaling and parts acquisition.

But he lives over 250 miles away and simply can not be here for the majority of the restore. So the green disease finally got into his cerebral cortex and produced what you see in the pictures below.
He sent them to me with explicit instructions as to the sidecar attachment.

The doctors say there is no cure......

Attachments

Another Ahab

I could not resist posting the pictures below. My brother went wild with the M35A2 and M43B1 that I had restored. He went with me to Tower Park in the fall and almost went away with a M38 jeep, and then almost went away with a m38A1 jeep and trailer. But, he just did not quite bite the bullet.

As we all know...the O.D. Green disease can be really wild in some folk. So, when I said I was going after a little 3-wheeled steel soldier it sent him over the edge. He wanted to help me on all aspects of the restore of the little steel soldier and, did in fact, help with dismantaling and parts acquisition.

But he lives over 250 miles away and simply can not be here for the majority of the restore. So the green disease finally got into his cerebral cortex and produced what you see in the pictures below.
He sent them to me with explicit instructions as to the sidecar attachment.

The doctors say there is no cure......
ODGD -the virulent bug- claims another victim.

Torisco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Front wheel assembly done.

I rebuilt the hubs and finally assembled the front tire axle bearings and hub ready for the front forks.

Working on the front fender now and on the rear wheel, hub brake & sprocket assemby.

Still sending out feelers for a side Kar body.

Attachments

Torisco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Still preppping parts

I am working on the fender more than the rear wheel and hub assembly so I threw in these pictures of the fender work at this stage of the restore.

I was amazed at the number of colors the vehicle had been painted. I found Yellow, Blue, Red, and two different greens along with a decorative arrow painted on the fender... Well it is a 1943 frame.

The front portion of the fender hade three small holes and a metal tear of about 2 inches on the front lip I welded those up and with a little grinding and body creme got rid of the defects. Also had to straighten out some dings, dents, and bends on the fender.

Attachments

Last edited:

Another Ahab

I was amazed at the number of colors the vehicle had been painted. I found Yellow, Blue, Red, and two different greens along with a decorative arrow painted on the fender... Well it is a 1943 frame.
You sort of wish you could know all the stories behind old iron. Some more than others of course. But if only "paint could talk".

Torisco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rest of fender front pics

Here are the rest of the front fender pictures

Attachments

Torisco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You sort of wish you could know all the stories behind old iron. Some more than others of course. But if only "paint could talk".

I picture a dozen different scenarios all made up in my imagination when I am doing this work. It would really be nice if this vehicle could be traced from its origin to tell the true stories about it.

They did not use frame numbers on the early Cushmans. The only number to trace was the 4HP engine serial number. After the war Cushmans began to have serial numbers placed on the frame. Until then you had to know the little variances in the frames, springs, bodies, braking, lighting, etc. to determine the year of the vehicle.

I agree...if only "paint could talk"

Last edited:

Torisco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rear hub sprocket brake axle wheel work

The pictures each have an explanation at the bottom

Attachments

Torisco

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Torisco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rear hub sprocket brake axle wheel work (continued)

More of the same operation.

Only have the tires and wheel assembly to the hub sprocket left to do for this operation.

Attachments

Torisco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cool. I've learned something I didn't know about Cushman brakes...

I was also surprised by the lining placement.

Later models have the lining riveted on the brake shoes rather than riveted inside the drum.
Also, many early models only had the rear brake to stop with and had no brakes for the front wheel assembly.

Last edited:

Torisco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rear wheel assembly finished

Description is on each picture.

Starting on front forks.

Attachments

Torisco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Start of Fork restoration.

Explanations are on the bottom of the pictures.

Next: Will be de-rusting and removing paint from forks

Attachments

Torisco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
More work on Front Fork

Pictures have description.

Throttle tube limiting pin was tack welded in side of handle bar end..

Going to make a removable pin so the throttle tube can be removed and easily lubricated as needed.
Forks required some straightening of the handle bars, forks, and fork ends.

Attachments

Torisco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fork restoration continued.

Currently working on the frame and rear suspension of the frame.
Also the brake pedal and brake pedal rod.

Each picture has a description.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks