• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Yukon Model M1950 Multifuel Stove

RangerBob

Oh so many moons ago, this airman was sequestered to northern Alaska, on the side of a mountain, in not much more than a portable meat locker. Quietly keeping tabs on Ivan and other ne'er-do-wells, 'feasting' on LRPs, counting the days until the return of the Jolly Green, and listening to the low rumble of the Yukon stove as it sipped JP-4. Ahh, those were the days. Ok, actually, they pretty much sucked, but how I appreciated that Yukon stove when it was -40 on the other side of the wall!

So many moons later, I'm passing through eastern Idaho and stop at a surplus store. Dozens of Yukon stoves on the shelf! Everything there...stove pipes, liquid fuel burner, jerry can adapter, tool kit, and the TM. There was even some oil-saturated tinder (newspaper) stuffed in the draft diverter. Do I have a use for one? No. Does that matter? No. I load one in the work truck. I drive around with it for a couple of years until I finally have a chance to drop it off at my secret desert location. There it sits for a few more years. Then, little sister calls with trouble on the home front. Between power outages and furnace failures, she's desperate for an emergency heating solution. RangerBob and his trusty Yukon stove to the rescue.

TM 10-4500-200-13.jpgYukon M1950 Operating Instructions.jpg

Last edited:

RangerBob

Little sister lives in a single-wide, a nice one, but a mobile home nonetheless. Generally not a place for a wood stove. There is an unheated room added to one side of the mobile home, and that seemed the best place for the stove. The room has a lot of windows/glass, and would otherwise not be very economical to heat. This is oil heating country. I threw this together kind of quickly, so it's not real pretty, but it does the job, and hopefully with a measure of safety. It was -25 the morning before, so I didn't want to spend too much time trying to find the exact right parts, like blued/black pipe. After installation, I over fired it and took the shine off of the galvanized pipe. Later I'll either paint it black or replace it.

I believe the room is about 300sqft, and the stove got it from frosty to toasty in less than 30mins.

Stove Left Front.jpgStove Exterior Chimney 2.jpgStove Firebox 2.jpg

Last edited:

RangerBob

Still looking good for Feb. Not yet scheduled for any work trips during that time frame. Hope I can bring my own ride and not be a JAFO.

Last edited:

RangerBob

The Yukon comes with a set of telescoping exhaust pipes; great for compact storage and standalone operation, not so great for adding off-the-shelf parts. The lower exhaust pipe that attaches to the stove is 5" in diameter, and the next 4 pieces reduce by about 1/4" per section until just under 4" at the draft diverter cap. I decided to get a 5"x4" reducer to put on the lower section and run 4" pipe for all the rest.

Stove Tee.jpg

At about the 5' level, it takes an elbow and heads for the upper glass panel of one of the windows. There is a slight incline in the horizontal pipe so as not to collect chimney snot (creosote, etc.). I removed the upper glass panel (easily done with these mobile home windows) and replaced it with a piece of 1/4" plywood. A hole was cut in the middle of the plywood for a piece of tin flashing normally used to pass an exhaust pipe through a roof/ceiling. This keeps the plywood and exhaust pipe a few inches away from each other.

Stove Interior Slope.jpg

The plywood slides into a pocket at the top of the window and sits on the lower panel. It is latched into side pockets with a couple pieces of scrap aluminum. This way the entire thing is easily removable with no permanent changes to the wall or window.

Stove Board Keeper.jpg

On the outside, the pipe takes another elbow and rises to 2' above the tin roof. It is anchored to the fascia about half way up with a support bracket.

Stove Exterior Chimney 1.jpg

Fire. Purrrdy.

Stove Purty.jpg

Last edited:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice. The safe side of me wonders how many smoke alarms and CO detectors you have?

I's like some other than our all electric house but my wife says no to anything that burns. So I have to pay a wonderful electric bill and hope that power stays on in the winter... :-(

RangerBob

Currently one smoke and two carbon monoxide detectors in sisters house. An equally important safety concern is ensuring an adequate fresh air supply to replace what is consumed by the heater/stove. One rule of thumb I've heard is 2" per 1,000BTUs (from my Camco Wave 3 manual), but that seems high. The Yukon is rated to 60,000BTUs, so would require 120sq". That's one completely open window! I think half that is more reasonable. Anyone know different?

Meanwhile, a video of the completed installation...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqeySfw9HTI

Last edited:

RangerBob

A few people have asked me where they can get a Yukon. I've only found one for sale online, and it ain't cheap (update: and now it's gone). So here is an alternative...

A company called Kni-Co Manufacturing sells a line of what appear to be almost Yukon clones, except no liquid burner. However, the place where I got my Yukon does have the burners in stock. So cut a hole in the top of one of the Kni-Co stoves and drop the genuine Yukon burner in, presto, you have an evil-step-twin of the M1950 Yukon. Pictures are linked to the parts.

packer.jpgyukonline.jpg

hmmm, pic links funky. try these... http://www.kni-co.com/packer.shtml, http://www.armysurpluswarehouse.com...sories/m1950-yukon-stove-burner-assembly.html

The site with the Yukon burner also carries the Yukon pipe assembly (which also acts as the rear leg of a Yukon) and the flue cap, but no fire box or jerry can/55gal drum adapter. I have found the bare fire box for sale at a well-known auction site with a 'buy it now' option, but I can't post that info here. Put all of those together and you almost have a complete Yukon for about $130, not including shipping.

Last edited:

mentalist205

[h=2]Yukon Model M1950 Multifuel Stove[/h]I'd really like to know where I can buy one. I live in Canada and sometimes we have problems with the cold. If the hydro goes out then we are done. Could you please tell me how I can order this stove in its entirety and how much will it be including delivery costs?

Thank you very much
Graham Miles
P.S. This will mostly be used in an emergency.

jnordland1

I just came upon one of these, and knowing nothing about it, paid only $50 in a social media buy and sell group. It included the adapter and hosing and all the accessories. What a genius piece of equipment!!!! I'm a prepper-minded woman (hope for the best, prepare for the worst) and I'm in love! Thank you for the great pics and the included instructions. Joni

Blackrat

Oh so many moons ago, this airman was sequestered to northern Alaska, on the side of a mountain, in not much more than a portable meat locker. Quietly keeping tabs on Ivan and other ne'er-do-wells, 'feasting' on LRPs, counting the days until the return of the Jolly Green, and listening to the low rumble of the Yukon stove as it sipped JP-4. Ahh, those were the days. Ok, actually, they pretty much sucked, but how I appreciated that Yukon stove when it was -40 on the other side of the wall!

So many moons later, I'm passing through eastern Idaho and stop at a surplus store. Dozens of Yukon stoves on the shelf! Everything there...stove pipes, liquid fuel burner, jerry can adapter, tool kit, and the TM. There was even some oil-saturated tinder (newspaper) stuffed in the draft diverter. Do I have a use for one? No. Does that matter? No. I load one in the work truck. I drive around with it for a couple of years until I finally have a chance to drop it off at my secret desert location. There it sits for a few more years. Then, little sister calls with trouble on the home front. Between power outages and furnace failures, she's desperate for an emergency heating solution. RangerBob and his trusty Yukon stove to the rescue.

View attachment 468174View attachment 468175
I don't suppose you might have uploaded that TM here in the forums have ya?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks