• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

24v to 12v Using Relay

1985mustanggt50

Im wanting to add 2 LED round lights to the back of my deuce bed where the original reflectors are. 24v lights are 40 bucks each and 12v lights are 10 each. I am wanting to use a relay to drop the voltage and I might be totally wrong here but thats why Im asking!

Using this drawing ( but with a 24v relay ) Get 12v from one of my batteries to batt side of relay. Use 24v from the original tail lights to pull in the coil and that should give me 12v out to the light? I already have a box of old relays I could use or I wouldnt even think about this. If I do it this way I would need 3 relays, 1 for both brakes and 1 each side turn correct? Or will 12v even pull in a 24v coil?

relay15a.jpg

Last edited:

steelandcanvas

How are you wanting to use these lights? Back-up? Night utility lights? Wire them in series (Suprman's idea) or use a convertor (Tigger's idea). Either way is correct.

1985mustanggt50

Thanks! Wanting to use them for stop/turn/tail, just a simple 4" round to flush mount on the bottom of the bed. May just end up getting the 24v lights to keep it simple lol. I have 3 LED light bars for the truck to install as well but they are 9-30v input.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is a bad idea to tap off of one battery for 12v when they are charged in series.

You will end up will a dead battery or both(the other one will overcharge)/

papakb

If you plan on using them as STT lamps then you won't be able to put them in series since each lamp will be powered from a different source. Use the KISS principle and get a couple of 24v lamps. That way you don't have to worry about dropping the voltage and you can wire them directly to the existing lamps.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks