• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to me M Gator A1

Milspec33

This is my newest addition a 2009 M Gator A1. I am looking for a TM for the A1. I have a 2002 M Gator also and I have full TM if anyone needs it. The A1 changed enginesphoto (34).jpg

Milspec33

I have posted the repair and parts TMs for the M-Gator in TM upload section. I also posted Yanmar shop manual for the engine in the A1 Gator. I would love to hear from other M-Gator owners

Milspec33

Great find! My 2002 has a cracked head. My A1 is missing valve cover and starter...going to check head and cylinders on it this week. The engine parts are $$$$

Milspec33

Any more M-Gators on here??? My 2009 A-1 will be modded as an off road emergency vehicle and equipped with a standard ambulance cot in the rear (Modified bed) and equipment compartments. I also have race seats and 5 point harnesses that will be installed with a new tubular ROPS set up. The front rack will hold trauma bag and talon litter. The 2002 will be restored to stock military with military radio. It has mount and wiring for radio and had a cargo cover with bows that looks like if was a motor pool fab. I will post pics soon

Stonepicker1

I just won one of the A1 Gators out of Bragg on Friday. I was trying for three, but only snagged one.
I also have a 2001, M-Gator.

Thanks for posting the TM's

My new Gator below.
Update on my new gator.

It was missing the Radiator plastic aux tank(2ea) and the radiator hose to the front radiator. I went to the john deere dealer and orders the parts...$$$$$

I called the other day to check on my order(they had my cell and was going to call when the parts came in)

***They said I picked the parts up yesterday***** I said I didn't, and asked who picked up the parts. They repeated my name and said I paid for the items and picked them up.

LOL...must be more than one of me here.......and I think some one has the wrong parts.

The dealer reordered my parts. I told them only give them to me and only after I show them my Military ID.

But good news. The gator started right up after changing the fuel filter. I drove it a short distance to make sure the transmission was working right.

Best of all....the wife likes it.:-D

Milspec33

g6 head on.jpgg6 at stndby.jpgg6 trailer.jpg
2009 M Gator A-1 rebuilt and in service as an off road ambulance
The med bags, back board and other equipment is made by North American Rescue for the military
I replaced the John Deere seats with low-back racing seats and 5 point harnesses. The seat covers and harnesses are not installed in the last picture on the trailer. I fabricated new seat mounts out of 1/4" steel plate

Milspec33

photo 3.jpgg6 rear rep.jpgg6 front rep.jpg

Various pics or tear down and rebuild
The engine was missing the valve cover, starter and some bolts. I had the head pressure checked and a valve job done, pulled the oil pan and cleaned everything. After a lot of detail work I reassembled everything. She started right up and runs super!

Last edited:

Milspec33

engines.jpgparts.jpg

Engine from 2001 and 2009
Various parts
**Use only hydraulic oil or JD recommended in transmission, if you use gear oil the brakes will lock up(The brakes are housed in the transmission) if gear oil has been put in transmission drain it, fill the transmission with clean diesel and run the unit at idle 3-5 min and then drain. Repeat until clear. The TM can be confusing regarding the transmission oil requirement

Milspec33

JD recommends Hi Guard hydraulic oil. I have full M-Gator A1 tech manual I will upload soon. I also have a good new JD parts source.

The gator cruises at 20mph max and is a blast to drive.

Stonepicker1

I just won one of the A1 Gators out of Bragg on Friday. I was trying for three, but only snagged one.
I also have a 2001, M-Gator.

Thanks for posting the TM's

My new Gator below.

i ordered a Warn 3,000 lb John Deere Kit and the brown truck just dropped it off.

Getting the Gator ready for the GA Rally.:grin:

Attachments

Milspec33

I like the winch kit! When is the GA rally? I may bring my medical gator down. I am installing a military Go Light spotlight, siren and strobes soon. I am also working on a full cot mount for the bed. I have also ben sketching out a full roll cage to replace the ROPS. I need to make a canvas sun cover and have mounts for medical equipment

nickd

I recently picked up an M Gator. Did a bunch of work to the engine, rebuilt water pump, head gasket, rebuilt the injectors,new fenders and cleaned a bunch of sand out of it. Plus the usual filter and fluid changes and new seats. It's running well now so it's ready for paint.. Any suggestions for unit markings?

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
View attachment 488704View attachment 488703

Engine from 2001 and 2009
Various parts
**Use only hydraulic oil or JD recommended in transmission, if you use gear oil the brakes will lock up(The brakes are housed in the transmission) if gear oil has been put in transmission drain it, fill the transmission with clean diesel and run the unit at idle 3-5 min and then drain. Repeat until clear. The TM can be confusing regarding the transmission oil requirement
I just aquired a 2001 M gator. I noticed it doesn't roll very easy...tough to push around. It does move on it's own when in gear and idling. I read your comments on the oil and wonder if the previous owner put the wrong fluid. the brakes don't lock up and it seems to accelerate easily upto 20 MPH. Any comments?

Madmedic

You should replace ALL fluids any way. Along with flushing the fuel tanks, water separator below it, fuel lines, radiator, etc etc, just like any other used military vehicle. But ALL M-Gators are hard to push as dead weight.

Whiterabbit

I like the winch kit! When is the GA rally? I may bring my medical gator down. I am installing a military Go Light spotlight, siren and strobes soon. I am also working on a full cot mount for the bed. I have also ben sketching out a full roll cage to replace the ROPS. I need to make a canvas sun cover and have mounts for medical equipment
The new date for the 2015 event is Oct. 21-25th, 2015. It's a must attend event if you live within 10,000 miles of it! :-D
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...15-Ga-Rally-info-thread-DATE-CHANGE-FOR-EVENT

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks