• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923a2 estimated fuel mileage?

2mtrucks

My A1 has no respect for a gallon of fuel but who cares...just listening to it idle is worth it. The 855 is a fantastic motor with a great exhaust note. Its like owning a locomotive without having to buy your own tracks.

Last edited:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
My A1 has no respect for a gallon of fuel but who cares...just listening to it idle is worth it. The 855 is a fantastic motor with a great exhaust note. Its like owning a locomotive without having to buy your own tracks.
Straight pipe sounds even better, you can HEAR my 819 from 5 miles away at full throttle.

RedBlok

I just drove 225 miles from Northern Va to Covington VA - including driving across the Blue Ridge mountains on I64. I kept my M923a2 between 50-60 (1800 RPM) the majority of the way. I averaged about 8 mpg. I was very happy.
Good Luck

jwesley74

On a recovery from Atlanta to Port Charlotte, FL we drove a 923 & 925 with the NHC-250 and both trucks got same 9.1 MPG. We ran pedal to the floor at 57-58 MPH the entire 600 miles. I'll beable to tell you what a 925A2 get after this weekend. Driving mine from Fort Polk area to Port Charlotte, FL. 940 miles. So I'll have real accurate MPG from this trip.

CJ781

Seeing this post in the forums I thought "If you bought this truck, you dare not worry about fuel mileage." If you are you should sell it. Where as making sure you make it to the next fuel station is another matter! I havent gone far enough in my M923 yet, but I have a Kenworth with the 855 in it, and it gets about 5mpg on a good day although it is turned up. The fact that you either use this for work(my case) and have it for a specific job, or as a toy, in which case toys cost money in all respects, negates the mpg factor.

jwesley74

I agree a toy is a toy. But it's still nice to know what to expect. I bought 2 trucks 925 & 923 and drove 600 miles from Atlanta with the 855 in both and both averaged the same at 9.1 mpg.

I just drove my 925a2 from Fort Polk, LA to SW Florida, 1000 miles, and averaged 5.1 mpg. BUT, I will add the 925a2 had MAJOR fuel contamination issues with algae in the tank. I drained and cleaned as good as I could by hand and threw tank cleaner in it, new filters on it and rolled on down the road. Changed the primary filter about halfway thru trip and it was caked in carmel looking algae. Just thuroughly cleaned tank, drained, put gasoline in it, let soak for a day. Drained again and all that crud came out. Now tank is shiny clean. Changed filters again and installing new primer pump since the original one had a stuck check valve and leaked. Filling truck today with fresh diesel and shocking system with Algae X. I expect once system is clean and after another set of filters it should be back up around 8 MPG. But now I don't care since we only drive 100 miles max and most of the time it's spent in the woods/mud. Just my 2cents

rbr0203

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dont shoot the questioner/ messenger but what would happen if you converted a M927A2 from a 6x6 to a 4x4? Im assuming with losing 2500lbs from an axle and wheels, one less driveshaft, less gears to turn would help with gas mileage but also reduce load capacity. Correct or not?

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dont shoot the questioner/ messenger but what would happen if you converted a M927A2 from a 6x6 to a 4x4? Im assuming with losing 2500lbs from an axle and wheels, one less driveshaft, less gears to turn would help with gas mileage but also reduce load capacity. Correct or not?
Please don't hack up a LWB A2 truck... they're worth a premium. If you want a bobbed truck, sell your LWB truck, buy a standard cargo or tractor length A2 truck, pocket $4k or so in value difference, then hack that one up. The end result is the same, except you'll have an extra $4k.

Dropping an axle might net you 1-2mpg.

Load capacity is anyone's guess. The data plate and the manufacturer's rating would no longer apply. My guess (and it's just that) is that you'd hit the axle rating first. DOT in WI MN NE and IA want anything over 8000lbs to go across the scales, commercial or not. They weigh each axle individually. My guess says that's the first thing that'd exceed the limit.

71DeuceAK

Please don't hack up a LWB A2 truck... they're worth a premium. If you want a bobbed truck, sell your LWB truck, buy a standard cargo or tractor length A2 truck, pocket $4k or so in value difference, then hack that one up. The end result is the same, except you'll have an extra $4k.

Dropping an axle might net you 1-2mpg.

Load capacity is anyone's guess. The data plate and the manufacturer's rating would no longer apply. My guess (and it's just that) is that you'd hit the axle rating first. DOT in WI MN NE and IA want anything over 8000lbs to go across the scales, commercial or not. They weigh each axle individually. My guess says that's the first thing that'd exceed the limit.
I second that. If you were to elect to bob one, I would highly suggest getting an M923A2 or M931A2 or something for that. In fact, the 931 tractors are about the right frame length already for a bob without cutting the frame.

The XLWBs are kind of rare anyway (only about 500 ever built) and many have already been hacked up so they are arguably a bit of a collector's item in original condition which adds a fair amount of value to the right person.

tobyS

It would make a good truck for roll off's or a super camper build.

I like the 931 in 4x4, keeping full length frame and putting the axle to the rear. I'm doing something similar with my deuce.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks