• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Transmission top removal

m139h2otruck

Can the top of the 5 ton transmission (part with all the shift rails and forks) be removed while the trans is still in the truck? The new tractor has a bad leak on the back at the top to case joint and it would be great if the top could come off while in the truck so I could cleanup and use RTV ("blue glue") to reseal it.

Scrounger

The cover on the Trans comes off very easily; just make sure it is in neutral. As far as a gasket, you can cut one out or use sealant. My recommendation is a gasket maker from Permatex. It is called Right Stuff, product number 29208. It comes in a “kit” with three tubes and a baby caulking gun. I use it for the axle flanges and even for the little cork thingy when doing bearings. It is basically uncured rubber and won’t harden or crack.

acetomatoco

Why not just put in a new gasket? It is a standard Spicer tranny.. Same thing for the axles which are Rockwell.. If it is leaking badly, must be overfull or have some light oil in it... Remember to use 90 weight GL1 and only fill it to about a finger knucke below the hole...

m139h2otruck

Gasket must be broken in one place, as it runs out good when driving. Oil it Sam's club 85-90 and about 0.5" down from fill hole. Looks like leak has ben ongoing for a while.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks