• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

TRI AN/PRC-152 UHF VHF Radio , knock off of Harris Felcon III

digitaldust

Has anyone had complaints about signal reports with this radio for this radio transmitter dropping off frequency in the 2 meter band I tested one and it turned out to be a real piece of garbage

ohaniazx

You can use the H-250 handset with modification to the pins/wiring. I bought one and it is doing a descent job- for the money I rather buy an ICOM as it would be a $300 radio and not a $45 radio that looks likes a $5000 radio.
However, IF you are looking to play a mil part and need to communicate to couple of miles the 6 pins model will be a good alternative.

Z

erasedhammer

As soon as I can find amount for the 117F it'll be installed in my HMMWV. I think the mounts for the PRC-138 and 150 might work but can't fine any of them either. I do have a 117D in it's vehicle mount but it's too deep to put on the HMMWV radio shelf. If you ever see a mount for the 117F I'm interested.

Kurt
KG6KMJ
I've mounted the Tri 117 to the lower radio deck in my hmmwv. Connected it up to a shakespear 30-512 mhz military surplus antenna. Works great! Practically plug n play.

erasedhammer

You can use the H-250 handset with modification to the pins/wiring. I bought one and it is doing a descent job- for the money I rather buy an ICOM as it would be a $300 radio and not a $45 radio that looks likes a $5000 radio.
However, IF you are looking to play a mil part and need to communicate to couple of miles the 6 pins model will be a good alternative.

Z
What kind of modifications need to be made to make the h250 work with a tri 117? The only problem with my setup is the speaker on the surplus handset won't work with the tri radio.

Stef234237

Na

Hey CW2 cjtroutt I've been trying to find you. I belonged to the Yahoo TRI 152 user group. I have used your pin out and software to program my 152. Did you ever modify the firmware on it or make a program cable for the 117g. I have that as well. There is a group on Facebook now for TRI and TCA radios. I hope to hear from you. 73's

Last edited:

KitchenCannon

There is a new version of the TRI 152 coming out that will work with Mil-Spec headsets / handsets out of the box. It also will include the 6 meter band.
Supposed to be available this summer.

mhawley

Greetings, I am new to the forum. I have been trying to find a programing cable for the TRI AN/PRC 152 radio. I tried one of the usb program cable for the real Harris AN/PRC with the Baojie software, but have not been able to connect. I believe I was using the UV 88 software. Does anyone know where to find the TRI programming cable and if there is dedicated software to program the TRI radio?

Thanks

okto

Anyone interested, try to find the TCA version instead of the TRI. The TRI is a repackaged UV-5R, right down to the LCD, whereas the TCA uses a dot-matrix display that at least copies the appearance if not the function of the RF-310 interface.

I don’t believe either one is type-approved for the US, and I have no personal experience with either radio.

John Black

Well the TRI AN/PRC-152 UV IPX7 works very well and as for the programing it's not bad I bought the hand Microhone for it and work just fine and they put a resistor on wire PIN A & E the blade antenna works very well as a test on vhf & uhf
as for the TRI AN/PRC-117G UV this radio is works very well and hard to get them due to high sales of them I just bought my 2nd one and waiting for it to be shipped out also I bought the VRC-103 Shock Mount to mount in my CUCV.
as for the TWO radios able to talk to each other well it gets the job done, also the AN/PRC-117G works with all of the Mil
accessories and tried it with every thing and all works with it.
So the TRI AN/PRC-117G is it my choice for all out comms as for the TRI AN/PRC-152-UV make shure you get options IPX7 and in the news on the prc-152 they are going to incorporate a GPS and updating it circuit board to be more like the 117 and alot easier to program it PRC-152 programming Cable it took awhile to get to work but the radio uses BAOJIE UV88 software and it is a PITA if you get a genuine TRI AN/PRC-152 UV IPX7 and the AN/PRC-117G UV these radios work very well one radio o bought through on a popular auction site that every one knows it and i wont buy from them again.
I went right to the distributor who sell them out right.
I gave all this info to Digitdust a few monts back and contact info how to be able to obtained them Directly.
Monda International is main Distributor for TRI for these Radios.
and PX Airsoft is also sell genuine TRI products.
When I Get some time to post some photos of both 117 & 152 next week.
Till Then
25U5O SGT C.E. Troutt out.
Chief,

I've just joined the forum in order to ask a question regarding a thread that I acknowledge is five years old. I have acquired a TCA AN/PRC-152A and a TCA AN/PRC-152(UV)GPS clones of the Harris radios. Unlike some of the radio aficionados on this thread and elsewhere, I am sufficiently pleased with the performance of these radios for voice communications, especially for the price. For milsim/airsoft, in which I am sometimes participating, they are ideal, but it's very difficult to obtain technical documentation and information about their capabilities, beyond the basics.

However, my interest in these radios and in the TRI AN/PRC-117G are for commercial work in IoT data fusion. I need to know, if any of these radios are capable of wideband networking, like their genuine counterparts. Do you know anything about the capabilities of any of these radios to transmit data and to support IP networking? Can it be achieved by connecting the radios to computing devices, via the 32-pin data cable interface on the right side of the AN/PRC-152 clones? Does the AN/PRC-117 clone offer an interface to network computing devices and bridge to a WAN? I've got experience, doing it with Silvus, Trellisware, and Persistent Systems tactical MIMO MANET radios -- easy peasy, after a little work. The radios provide easy to configure, self-healing networks that can move a lot of data. However, I have no experience with PRC-152s (real or replica), and for the project I am working on, which will involve bridging to low-power wireless mesh networks, I am unable to get enough MANET radios to do what I need to do. I need to determine if the replica 152/117s will work. I don't need a ton of bandwidth. I'm not pushing video, just small messages from the mesh-networked sensors.

I appreciate your letting me bend your ear. BTW, I am USAR, and after 30 years in FA, MI, and CBRN/CWMD, I am joining the Signal Corps and the Warrant Officer Corps to become a 255A Information Services Technician.

V/r,
John

John Black

Neither radio is type certified for use in the US.
Thanks for your reply, @[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]papakb.
I would not expect these clone/replica radios to be type-certified.
Externally, these radios resemble genuine articles, although I understand that internally, they are completely different and based on different chipsets. However, they appear to match many of the functions of genuine radios and are software-defined, like the real ones. I am trying to find out how far this replication of functionality extends. Obviously, they do not support Type 1 cryptography. My application is R&D that requires radios that mimic or closely approximate the size weight and power (SWAP) characteristics of the real radios, that have the same I/O interfaces (or ones that can be adapted), and that can be used to pass data from an externally connected device and transmit it to other radios and to a base station that is connected to a WAN. It's definitely possible. I just want to know, if these radios have the I/O interfaces and programmability that will allow it. I'm probably going to have to engage an interpreter to talk to the manufacturers.

[/FONT]

CallMeColt

Supporting Vendor
I stumbled on this thread via a Google search. Use the site for my other stuff but didn't realize there was radio stuff on here as well.

The thread is old I know, but, I recently got one of the newest TRI 152 radios (July 2021+) and it is MUCH different than the older ones. Much more improved. Still has some firmware flaws.

I'm making a video series on YouTube covering what I learn with it & figured I would share the first video here.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks