• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Denton, NC rally set for April 11-13, 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

wilfreeman

According to the MVPA Events calendar, the Denton, NC Steel Soldiers rally is set for April 11-13th this year, although many show up on the 10th. It will be held at Denton Farmpark

North Carolina, April 11 -1 3, 2014: Military Vehicle and Collector Show at Denton Farm Park, 1072 Cranford Rd., Denton, NC sponsored by J&R Productions. Trail rides, large spaces, abundant shade, concessions, camping and restrooms on site. Admission is $10 for weekend pass; active and retired Veterans receive $5.00 discount. Camping reservations: (336) 859-2755. Contact: Jim Henry; (704) 983-5940 days; $910) 439-6292 evenings, or Bob Jeffreys; (910) 980-0771, kjeffreys08@aol.com
Here's the links to the 2012 and 2013 threads:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?77947-North-Carolina-MV-RALLY-April-6th-7th-amp-8th-2012 and

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?101389-2013-NC-Steel-Soldiers-MV-RALLY-April-11-12-13

Neither Jim nor Bob do the internet thing, so this will obviously be another "organize on your own" rally as last year. If I had the extra time, I would try to organize it like Kevin did the first year. There was a major turnout that year - last year not as many, but still plenty of spectators on Saturday and Sunday. All that attended still had a good time with the fellowship!

The trail rides are about 10 miles away in the Uwharrie National Forest. The trails we rode on in 2012 were kind of rocky with mud, but maybe someone else local to the area knows of other trails?

We set up and camp in the wooded area. They have electric and water sites or primitive sites depending on how far away you want to be from the "action". Decent restrooms and hot water showers close to the camping areas. It mentions "concessions", but last year they weren't open when I walked around to that area. Cabel was gracious enough to come down and provide us with GREAT hot meal service via the MKT again last year!

As always, there will be many vendors there. Jim Henry always brings truckloads of stuff to sell and a LOT of his vehicles to show.

I will try to answer questions, but if someone posts a question on here, anyone who knows the answer please speak up! Like I said, I am not organizing this rally, I just want to get the word out so we can have more folks show up this year.

If anyone would like to start a 2014 Denton Rally For Sale/Trade thread, please do. We didn't have one last year.

Last edited:

ATPTac

If I can get everything done on our truck that needs to be done to make it road trip worthy, I'll be there! I still have quite a bit I want to get done on the truck before I take it on any trips. I think I'm supposed to work that Saturday so I'm either going to have to try and get it off or come up Saturday night.

Also, to clarify, this isn't an actual Steel Soldiers rally? It's a MV rally put on by somebody else and SSer's show up as well? Or am I reading that wrong?

wilfreeman

Correct. It is called Military Vehicle and Collector Show. Denton Farmpark posted a flyer on their Facebook page. I will post it here when I get home from work tomorrow. It is about 50/50 - Steel Soldiers to others.

Last year I showed up on Thursday and left Saturday at lunch b/c I had a wedding to go to Saturday afternoon. I'll more than likely be there Thursday - Sunday this year.

ATPTac

I'm honestly kind of surprised to see there is a number of people with MV's that aren't members on here. Either way, sounds like a good time! How many people/MV's typically show up?

wilfreeman

the first year there were over 100 trucks and trailers - I don't know if anyone even kept track last year, but there were significantly less, probably caused from not getting promoted. There were a lot of visitors on Saturday - I hate I had to leave, but while I was there I was able to give a few old vets rides in the Jeep. Even though the numbers weren't great, I believe everyone had a good time sitting around the MKT shootin' the breeze!

wilfreeman

My brother and I are hopefully going to get finished bobbing our deuce and get it presentable by then too. If not, I will just have my Jeep there again. You live in Charlotte man, make sure the brakes work and it runs ok and bring it on to the rally!

ATPTac

My brother and I are hopefully going to get finished bobbing our deuce and get it presentable by then too. If not, I will just have my Jeep there again. You live in Charlotte man, make sure the brakes work and it runs ok and bring it on to the rally!
I just went through and did the front brakes. I'm hopefully getting to the rears sometime soon if the weather permits. I have a couple other issues I want to get addressed before taking too far, namely a coolant leak/consumption, as well as 2 flat rear tires. It should be mostly good to go, I just don't want to get stranded.

wb1895

I just went through and did the front brakes. I'm hopefully getting to the rears sometime soon if the weather permits. I have a couple other issues I want to get addressed before taking too far, namely a coolant leak/consumption, as well as 2 flat rear tires. It should be mostly good to go, I just don't want to get stranded.

Did the spring on your parking brake fix your reverse problem?

ATPTac

Did the spring on your parking brake fix your reverse problem?
It sure did... What's funny about that is I went under the truck to get a measurement for the spring and it was still hanging there, just not attached to the shoe. So I just reached up and hooked it back up, problem solved! Once again, thanks for catching that. One of those things where my mind immediately went to worst case scenario and didn't even think to look at simple stuff like that. Also, my horn started working again :confused:. Once it starts to warm back up a little bit I'm going to start going through the truck more thoroughly and doing more PM work on it. I might have a leaking steering gear box that I need to address. Saw a puddle of what looks/smells like gear oil under the LF side of the truck coming from the engine compartment, haven't really had the time or opportunity to look much further into it. Are you planning on going to this rally? Or are you going to be into your engine rebuild at that point?

wb1895

It sure did... What's funny about that is I went under the truck to get a measurement for the spring and it was still hanging there, just not attached to the shoe. So I just reached up and hooked it back up, problem solved! Once again, thanks for catching that. One of those things where my mind immediately went to worst case scenario and didn't even think to look at simple stuff like that. Also, my horn started working again :confused:. Once it starts to warm back up a little bit I'm going to start going through the truck more thoroughly and doing more PM work on it. I might have a leaking steering gear box that I need to address. Saw a puddle of what looks/smells like gear oil under the LF side of the truck coming from the engine compartment, haven't really had the time or opportunity to look much further into it. Are you planning on going to this rally? Or are you going to be into your engine rebuild at that point?

I hope to go to the rally, but that will depend on several things. I just got all the parts to do the rebuild, I just gotta wait for it to warm up some

wilfreeman

Bring it on! I'd like to take the Jeep out one time if I had a trail guide. I don't want to go on anything difficult - to keep from breaking the 60 year old girl!

ATPTac

Bring it on! I'd like to take the Jeep out one time if I had a trail guide. I don't want to go on anything difficult - to keep from breaking the 60 year old girl!
Are you definitely bringing the Jeep? I'd love to see it. I don't foresee taking the Deuce out on any trails this go around. I'd really prefer to get it painted before "showing" it (not a fan of the current paint job), but I highly doubt that's going to happen between now and then.

wilfreeman

Oh yeah, the Jeep will definately be there - maybe the deuce if we finish it. The trails that I have seen are for smaller vehicles like pickup trucks and Jeep size.

michigandon

I think some of the trails @ URE might even be a bit on the tight side for pickups, although huffalump took his CUCV in there a couple years ago and did just fine.

wilfreeman

I think some of the trails @ URE might even be a bit on the tight side for pickups, although huffalump took his CUCV in there a couple years ago and did just fine.
Yeah, but he did tag that new bed cover with a tree one trail. He did real good for his first time offroad - AND his passenger had a broke leg!

ATPTac

Ok, I wasn't sure if a Deuce would fit or not. I went out there YEARS ago with a few Jeeps and a Blazer, we only went on one trail and it definitely wasn't big enough for a Deuce. I thought I saw someone on a different thread a while back mention taking a Deuce on one of the trails, apparently I was mistaken.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks