• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Securing a HMMWV

rmgill

So, in working on this friend's slantback, we've been discussing how to secure it.

Key Switch is in hand for install.
I've suggested he purchase a battery cut out switch.

We've discussed locking door latches.

That still leaves the slantback hatch and tailgate. What's the ways folks have secured that without their trucks looking like a poor bodge?

One thing we've also discussed is a weapons/tool locker set on either rear fender under the slantback, that way he can stow critical gear and have a second layer of protection for them.

Any suggestions?

Al Harvey

Our's had steel cable that would loop around the steering wheel and just put a lock on it. Prevents the steering wheel from being turned. Someone could still start it and drive off but they will only go one direction.

gcbennet

Yup. The cable with an eyelet is built into the humvee around where the hand throttle is and will only pull out far enough to secure around the lower steering wheel with a padlock.

xmiltm998

I use the cable around the steering wheel, installed a keyed battery disconnect, and have a brake pedal lock that's kind of like a "club." I also put a land mine under the drivers seat, you just have to make sure you remove it and don't sit on it

jwaller

Kascar sells key locks for the doors. Maybe they have something for the hatch. The upper hatch has a lock built into it from amg. Maybe you could rig a chain on the lower rear hatch latch.

rmgill

Yep, I know about the key locks for the doors from Kascar.

Security of the vehicle is best accomplished by a key switch/battery lockout/steering wheel lock.

Security of it's contents when running around in the vehicle....that's tougher as the tailgate has ZERO security on it by default. Even if you lock the doors they can just open the tailgate.

dilvoy

Come on man, haven't you thought of what old men have been using for years to keep "punks" from stealing their gas? Just get some hasps! Enough for all four doors, the top hatch and cargo hatch to tail gate area. Then for good measure get one for the fuel tank fill door that you will install. You can get keyed alike pad locks to make it easy on yourself. One look at your truck and anyone will think you are crazy and leave it alone. Job done!

rmgill

I did specify that it should NOT look like a poor bodge. Padlock hasps would look like a poor bodge.

At this point I'm contemplating a pair of 24VDC Solenoid latches that can be thrown from the driver's area and which secure the tail gate and slant back. Have those throw a pair of catches that lock both the gate and the hatch at the same time.

Last edited:

zout

Throw this at you - how about elec door solenoids - I would imagine there are remote types as well out in the realm of civy world you could work with. Google electric door lock solenoids and there dead bolt styles.

Al Harvey

If you got the locks for the doors and the rear hatch, then couldn't you just use a slide pin lock on the tailgate. The slide pin lock I'm thinking of would be like one on a double door for a house. The pins that hold the second door locked. Or a hasp style mounted on the inside that you could just put a pin in it when the tailgate is closed. That way the tailgate is pinned from the inside and with the hatch locked it couldn't be opened from the outside. A clean installation wouldn't be too hard and it would not be seen from the outside at all. Not sure if my explanation makes sense or not, but I hope so.

rmgill

The trick is getting something that is mechanically inside the vehicle and not on the tail gate, but accesible from some places other than climbing through from inside.

I suspect that some sprung cable type latches would also work and would be simple in that they could be manual or solenoid fired. What ever is put together should be simple and yet robust and solid. Water proof as well.

dohabandit

I put a key on mine, here is how...

So, in working on this friend's slantback, we've been discussing how to secure it.

Key Switch is in hand for install.
I've suggested he purchase a battery cut out switch.

We've discussed locking door latches.

That still leaves the slantback hatch and tailgate. What's the ways folks have secured that without their trucks looking like a poor bodge?

One thing we've also discussed is a weapons/tool locker set on either rear fender under the slantback, that way he can stow critical gear and have a second layer of protection for them.

Any suggestions?
I have 3 ways to secure mine:
1) I chock the wheel
2) I have a cable strap that pulls out and I put an American lock on the steering wheel
3) I took my KDS box and opened it up, drilled a hole on the side for a security/barrel style SPST switch. I then located the lead that energizes the KDS PCB box when the start/run lever is thrown and set the switch to interrupt this power. I noticed that the 3 wires that go into that paddle switch, the top one had a lot of WEAR on the rubber. Looked like someone had really been messing with it a lot. I talked to some friends in the military and they told me that they reach up there and just YANK out the lead to disable the vehicle. You could do that as well, so long as the person stealing it has no prior military experience, lol!

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Could you just slip a long (hasp?) style lock through the chain tie in points for the tailgate and the body point? wouldn't take care of the hatch, but would the tailgate.

samsays

You could also use a mag lock I've used several of these for different projects...works well uses a 12 volt back up battery with trickle charger..

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks