• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M561 Steering Gear boxes

mendo

I think the Frenchman did his, I know that he installed a zerk fitting and pumped it full of grease instead of oil. I got one off of fleabay pretty cheap. you might want to check.

frenchman

i sure did and beleve me it make a big difference in stering glade i did it and i filled it full of grease and rechecked later on during the sumer month it was room for little more grease but what a job when you are 65 years old
frenchman

m561gamagoat

I'd read that before reference the grease. I'm trying to think of a reason that would be bad ! Can Anyone explain the downside to filling a steering gearbox with grease ?

m561gamagoat

Ok new question. I have a replacement rear steer gear box. Is there a center point in the mechanism I need to find before installing. In other words will the box continuously spin or is there limits inside where I need to find the middle of its limits?

frenchman

PM GamaGoat1. He has rebuilt just about everything on his, or the Club's Goat.
hello
dont remember but i think you have to find the midlle equal on the right and equal on the left i replaced mine and dont realy remember need two personne to do it
sorry if im not clear on this but i do remember it was not bad to replace compere to the front gear box this is another story that also require two people
frenchman

goat whisperer

As I remember the gear box spins continiously, just make sure all wheels are straight to the body and connect everything. There is a mark at the center bolt (don´t know if it´s called bolt?)
It helpes u to adjust the steering system...

Lenkung 01.jpg Lenkung einstellen.jpg

Some more pics, might be helpfull...

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
i sure did and beleve me it make a big difference in stering glade i did it and i filled it full of grease and rechecked later on during the sumer month it was room for little more grease but what a job when you are 65 years old
frenchman
What type of grease did you use? GAA, bearing, hub, chicken (ok I threw that last one in just for fun)?

Terra1936

I cannot find what oil is specified for the steering gear box. Usually I use 90+ weight gear oil and i read about corn head and other steering gear box grease? Ok? What has anyone had success with? Can someone point me to the page in the Tech manual on the Specs? My GOAT steers fine as long as its in a straight line. :-D

m38inmaine

I use Lucas heavy duty oil stabilizer in mine @ 100% and use 50% in the transfer case. Its "sticky" and less likely to leak if the seals have wear. The lube order calls for 90wt gear oil.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks