• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A Squids M1008 Plan/Build

Squid in a CUCV

Ok, so I disconnected the grund on the driverside radiator and most of my lights work. The rear side markers illuminate with switch on, turn my blinkers or hazards and they ont blink. I am wondering if I can temporarily tie into the front side markers to make the rears work? Any thoughts on this? I think the PO was having issues and did this. He had a wire from the fron directional to the rear and when I would press the brake pedal the turn signal would illuminate.

Another Ahab

Need electrical help. All lights work as they should except the right turn signals. What am I missing?
Really sounds like a floating ground somewhere - it only takes bad apple one to make it fail like this.
Ok, so I disconnected the grund on the driverside radiator and most of my lights work. Any thoughts on this?
Electrical problems inevitably seem turn into a Royal PITA:

- I mean you can always solve them eventually

- But the nit-picking, methodical, exacting process to track what is typically a short in the circuit somewhere will drive a person nuts.

I think I read a thread here somewhere (maybe even this thread) about a SS who worked with some colleagues who LOVE this stuff; spending days working it out. And yeah, once you solve it you feel real good, sure, but getting there just gives ME a blown fuse, you know?!

Fuse.jpg

Last edited:

Squid in a CUCV

Electrical problems inevitably seem turn into a Royal PITA:

- I mean you can always solve them eventually

- But the nit-picking, methodical, exacting process to track what is typically a short in the circuit somewhere will drive a person nuts.

I think I read a thread here somewhere (maybe even this thread) about a SS who worked with some colleagues who LOVE this stuff; spending days working it out. And yeah, once you solve it you feel real good, sure, but getting there just gives ME a blown fuse, you know?!

View attachment 524030
I work with a guy who played with high voltage splicing on the Island but, between working and life in general that dude is hit or miss. Plus, I am learning more and more... I kinda miss the simplicity of my old Jeeps, wiring them was cake... then again I started from scratch. lol

Squid in a CUCV

Had fuel dumping past and into the intake when sitting.... I removed the fuel line and to my surprise, it sprayed fuel like a fire hose! LOTS OF PRESSURE. I think I may have hooked up to the wrong line for my return? On the passenger side frame rail I see the line going back towards the tank but just behind the wheel well there is a block, is this to adjust the low side fuel pressure for when it had the diesel or does it act like a check valve?

Squid in a CUCV

Found the diagram to be in 34(?) I have the lines correct. Found that I needed a vented gas cap instead of the diesel cap.

I didn't get too much done... basically removed the cast iron intake from the 454 and tossed on an Edelbrock Performer 2-0, and put new brake pads on the front.

Things to do...

Swap fuel lines Didn't have to
Install coolant hoses and top off Done
Drain engine oil and toss in 15w40 diesel oil Thursday
Check tranny Thursday , t-case Thursday , front diff Done, brake and steering fluid levels Thursday , top off if needed
Install steering stabilizer Will have to fabricate mounts for dual set-up.
Tighten driveshaft bolts Done
Bring motor to 4-6* BTDC, drop in Distributor set rotor to #1 Done
Cut and Weld rear shock mounts Done
Finish my dash Done
Bleed brakes Tuesday
Fabricated a throttle bracket from scrap steel and some old brackets.

Last edited:

Squid in a CUCV

Found the diagram to be in 34(?) I have the lines correct. Found that I needed a vented gas cap instead of the diesel cap.

I didn't get too much done... basically removed the cast iron intake from the 454 and tossed on an Edelbrock Performer 2-0, and put new brake pads on the front.

Things to do...

Swap fuel lines Didn't have to
Install coolant hoses and top off Done
Drain engine oil and toss in 15w40 diesel oil Done
Check tranny Done, t-case Done, front diff Done, brake and steering fluid levels Done, top off if needed
Install steering stabilizer Will have to fabricate mounts for dual set-up. (This Week!... Saturday is Deer Season!)
Tighten driveshaft bolts Done
Bring motor to 4-6* BTDC, drop in Distributor set rotor to #1 Done
Cut and Weld rear shock mounts Done
Finish my dash Done
Bleed brakes Done
Fabricated a throttle bracket from scrap steel and some old brackets. Done

Took the truck for her maiden-voyage... around the block a couple of times... it's safe to say that, the 454 is an AWESOME upgrade in the power/torque areas, especially when compared to the 6.2L. When I want to go fast, I give it gas and she moves! Not to mention she will spin the 40" Boggers with ease... hehehehe [thumbzup]

Squid in a CUCV

Tomorrow morning after I get out of work, I will go through the suspension and engine compartment and check/tighten any loose nuts & bolts... Engine is set at 10* BTDC, might back it off to 8*.. Was at 4* but felt lacking on the top end...

Anybody know where I can find dash lights like what the voltage meter uses. Small light with + & - wires... I have a miss-match instrument panel/wire harness and I want dash lights (old school/simple style) lol.

Squid in a CUCV

Think it may be time to change my 1985 Distributor, pull the carb and rebuild it... Check the plugs and wires. She runs like a raped ape at RPMs now at idle she doesn't want to idle... checked for vacuum leaks, all good there.... might be a mixture of the idle circuit and a bad wire/plug. right bank is running rich. Stay tuned for the next episode on the same bat channel same bat time... lol

Last edited:

Squid in a CUCV

Interesting turn of phrase, I don't think I'm going to get that image out of my mind anytime soon :)
I actually just sat back in my chair and visualized what a raped ape would look like running... needless to say, it was kind of disturbing but, still kind of funny. lol I blame it on all of those years in the Navy. ahahaha

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks