• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Az Registration cost for a 1990+ 5 ton {not yet historic}

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Right, you don't pay any weight fees on a historic plate.
CB, I know you're correct as far as the law goes, but they stuck me with an 8000lb weight fee along with my historic plate.

When I pointed out that there was supposed to be zero weight on historic plates they said 8000lb was as low as they could go. When i pointed out the truck's weight empty was 23,500 they insisted 8000lbs was the correct plate for it. Summoning a supervisor failed to resolve it as the supervisor tried to tell me I couldn't register my 1983 truck as historic.

I ended up with an historic plate that shows 8000lbs on my 5ton truck, and a fee of just under $100 for a plate valid for 2 years.

X number of DMV employees will give X number of mutually exclusive answers to any question that is the least bit unfamiliar to them, each insisting that they are an expert.

A trip to DMV is a roll of the dice as to who you get behind the counter.

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
CB, I know you're correct as far as the law goes, but they stuck me with an 8000lb weight fee along with my historic plate.

When I pointed out that there was supposed to be zero weight on historic plates they said 8000lb was as low as they could go. When i pointed out the truck's weight empty was 23,500 they insisted 8000lbs was the correct plate for it. Summoning a supervisor failed to resolve it as the supervisor tried to tell me I couldn't register my 1983 truck as historic.

I ended up with an historic plate that shows 8000lbs on my 5ton truck, and a fee of just under $100 for a plate valid for 2 years.

X number of DMV employees will give X number of mutually exclusive answers to any question that is the least bit unfamiliar to them, each insisting that they are an expert.

A trip to DMV is a roll of the dice as to who you get behind the counter.
No doubt, thats definitely the biggest hurdle - getting someone who knows what they're doing. Or at least someone who is willing to learn.

Here are two MVD documents, one old and one much newer that show that historic plated vehicles do not pay commercial fees. The highlighted portion is what is relevant.

You could probably go back in armed with the policy memo and get your money back. Being that these are their own documents, I should think they should be sufficient. The bad thing is it may be easier and perhaps even "safer" to sacrifice the $15.00 in weight fees towards the fact that you've got it working for at least two years.

Attachments

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My thoughts exactly - I have a valid plate and I don't want to risk any changes. I figure $50 a year is actually ridiculously cheap.I do thank you for the document though, as I have other vehicles to register and will carry that in with me when I do so.

mhenshaw

Well, it worked! Thank you all!
Took my '84 M923 to the MVD, along with Florida Title, and prints of the Arizona laws that Castle Bravo mentioned, and after several "We can't do that...", flip out the vehicle code, " Let me make a call...", I have my historic plates, and registered for 5 years for roughly $150.
Now I am looking for a respectful plate holder. Would like to honor all branches. I am a mere civilian. I don't want to convey that I have served. Any recommendations?

Thank you all, again!!!

Mos68x

Well, sorry for bringing back a dead thread, but I thought I'd share my dealings with ADOT today. Took the truck in today to get it registered. First they told me that the ADOT Policy 14.1.3 mentioned above is old and no longer valid even though I brought it in with me, and then they told me that because they didn't recognize the vehicle make that it had to be inspected even though it is a military vehicle. So far I e had no luck finding any references to historic vehicles and exemptions for them in the AZ Legislation website (www.azleg.gov). It almost seems as though they have intentionally removed them from their files. If I can't find anything they will hit me for $400 just for weight fees alone, even though I have no intentions of using it commercially. I'm waiting for them to also tell me that they will need me to get a CDL to drive it too, I'll flip biscuits then.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mos68x

I think I found enough supporting legislation on that website that will help me avoid them, but we shall see since it will be based on "vehicles designed and maintained for commercial purposes". I'll update after I go to deal with them again.

Mos68x

I dealt with one in PA and it certainly was WAY EASIER, but I didn't know they had them down here in AZ. I'll try to see if there are any available in my area.

Mos68x

Found a listing on the ADOT website that showed a few in my roaming area, thanks for the tip! When I searched on google the only ones that showed up were in the Phoenix and Tucson area so I was bummed till I saw the total listing on the ADOT site.

Mos68x

Figured I'd add a closing comment. AZ and other third party DMVS will NOT acknowledge the above mentioned documents as they are no longer binding by AZ legislature. Getting the plates was far easier through the third party DMV but still cost an arm and a leg, cost me $500 for AZ fees and $625 after adding in the third party fees. Good thing I'm planning on using this thing commercially now, it'll hopefully pay for itself, or at least the plates.

BajaRat

"Bump"
I payed 600.00 plus last year for my 71 M816 Wrecker registration here in Arizona.
Anyone here heard of a way to register without the weight fees.
Thanks in advance, Lionel
PS thanks for the Great Site !

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you're using it commercially, I don't have any information for you - If its a hobby truck, the two documents I posted earlier are what I take with me to register a vehicle. I did this less than two months ago. If the vehicle is 25 years old, (1971 is, certainly) you can get a historic plate. Historic plates make the GVW 0 and you'll pay no weight fees and by Arizona law, a vehicle that would otherwise require a CDL to operate does not require one if the vehicle has historic plates.

The biggest factor seems to be getting someone behind the counter who's amenable to doing what you're asking for. I have mostly been lucky, but the several times I haven't, I have just tried again at a different location or with a different person. I know, potentially difficult in smaller towns.

BajaRat

Thanks Castle Bravo,
I've had good fortune " if there's such a thing at the MVD " in the past . Never tried the historic plate route though.
I hope to be returning soon with a positive report.
Lionel

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks