• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Az Registration cost for a 1990+ 5 ton {not yet historic}

Kawgomoo

Banned
Was wondering if any arizona folks here could give me an informal expectation of cost.

Ive looked and looked, but my google-fu must be weak. :(

So the question is;

For a 5 ton truck that is 1990 or newer, which does not meet the 25 year requirement for a historic vehicle. What kind of cost am i looking at to register one of these things?

I assume i can drop my gvwr to say 26,000lbs. Not that id ever carry more than myself, my kid and maybe a few bags of mulch in the thing.

Anything crazy i should be aware of? Will the air brakes bite me if its not historic?

Thanks!

Ryanbmw

I don't think AZ lets you change the GVW rating. I believe the truck has to be titled as at least a 25 year old model to be exempt at all. You can look at the technical info on armytrucks.org . That is the AZ military vehicle club page. The technical info page has a PDF talking about GVWR.

Bighurt

The laws covering those questions are available at your main library, you can even copy them for a fee.

Some states have them online.

ND uses a tier system based on age and GVWR. No breaks till 40 though...

Also you can drop your GVW however again state law governs, in ND they minimum registered weight is double the unladen weight, unless you can prove otherwise. Say a picture of the data plate. A tractor is slightly different...

Your mileage may vary.

Kawgomoo

Banned
Well if i bob it, it shouldnt be any issue to prove its gvwr is less. but how much less?

I always figured gvwr was basically on your honor. you tell em how much you wanna weigh, you pay. your butt better weigh that at the scales or FINES.

But again, im looking to skip all that noise :) the laws arent really written in a way that is easy for me to understand. welder, yes. well educated, no.

Esp when looking for a "work around"

I know theres a way to register newer, massive trucks, as non commercial, avoid cdl's and weighs altogether. I just can't ever get anyone to tell me how they did it.

mhenshaw

Southwestern AZ. I have been eying M923s, M925s, and M934s. As this would be my first purchase, are there any registration/title pitfalls that might influence my decision? I have heard that some people register as rvs, others commercial, and others historic. Any assistance greatly appreciated.

Woodsplinter

I'm not familiar with the weights of those vehicles or how they affect registration. Registration fees in Az. are usually determined by the value of the vehicle- that's why it gets cheaper as time goes by.

It doesn't matter what kind of plates you have- some have Historic plates, I have Freedom plates.

I use 3rd party MVD agents instead of dealing directly with MVD. They seem to be more knowledgeable about collectors insurance and registration for military vehicles.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by a moderator:

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
5 Tons have a GVWR of over 26000 lbs, so they are normally CDL vehicles - however in Arizona, the law that establishes the CDL also lays out exemptions for vehicles with historic license plates that are not used commercially. All A0 and A1 trucks as well as a few years of A2 vehicles should be over 25 years old now.

Woodsplinter is correct about the vehicle license tax (VLT) being related to the value of the vehicle. A 1986 vehicle that was $75000 has a VLT that drops to $10.00 by 2014. This is typical of M939 5 tons in terms of age and price. The VLT is always at least $10.00/year. It doesn't drop below that. These military vehicles aren't listed in their database, so they may guess and sometimes guess high.

3rd party MVD agents are supposedly not able to deal with military vehicles anymore, but I haven't been able to confirm that with any kind of paper or law, just "yeah, we're not supposed to anymore" from several different 3rd party places.

Arizona is probably kinda unique in that you can't normally get a title without also getting registration, and you can't do that without having insurance and an emissions test (if you're in the emissions areas). You have to have everything before starting the MVD process mostly. The largest obstacle you will face is finding someone behind the counter (state or 3rd party) that will do it right. You can show up well informed and knowing what you want to do, but you're at the mercy of who you end up with. If they're not too interested in going out on a limb, you may have a hard time.

Quartzsite is not in an emissions area. I don't have any idea about RV registration, thats not something I've ever dealt with or researched.

So, bottom line - stick to a pre 1991 5 ton if you want to do the weight fee exempt, CDL exempt route.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just a reminder folks that insurance discussion is not allowed. The stickies cover that topic.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
CB

So what you're saying is basically a pre-1990 truck is more valuable that and post 1990 truck due to the ability to register it historic.

Heck I'm going to go in and raise the price on the one I'm selling another $5K to $14K. LOL

mhenshaw

You all rock! Closest Motor Vehicle office is Parker. Since I won't need emmissions inspection, I would need an SF97 (or is there a different titling doc preferred in Arizona) and a valid Class D Arizona license. Correct?

Going Historic won't limit me from driving occasionally on the 10, or the 95, or occasionally off road?

Again, Thank you!

Woodsplinter

Just a reminder folks that insurance discussion is not allowed. The stickies cover that topic.
Oops, sorry about that- my bad. :-(

Castle Bravo mentioned something I had forgotten about- 3rd party agents not being able to process military vehicles anymore. I'm not sure if that is actually in effect now but I will call my contact tomorrow to find out and report back.

Woodsplinter

You all rock! Closest Motor Vehicle office is Parker. Since I won't need emmissions inspection, I would need an SF97 (or is there a different titling doc preferred in Arizona) and a valid Class D Arizona license. Correct?

Going Historic won't limit me from driving occasionally on the 10, or the 95, or occasionally off road?

Again, Thank you!
As far as I know, Historic registration has no limitations on where you can drive. I know other members here in the Phoenix area that have historic registration and drive all over the state.

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
CB

So what you're saying is basically a pre-1990 truck is more valuable that and post 1990 truck due to the ability to register it historic.

Heck I'm going to go in and raise the price on the one I'm selling another $5K to $14K. LOL
Yes, definitely, might as well make it an even $20K. :)

Again, Thank you!
SF97 will work in Arizona. MVD (or 3rd party) won't care what license you have. Correct license is an enforcement issue, not a MVD issue. But yes, regular class D is correct for historic plate vehicle, regardless of weight.

Arizona doesn't have any license plate based restrictions as far as I know. Historic plates can do anything any other plate can.

As with any of this stuff, I don't think I've told you anything incorrect, but read the law yourself as well.

mhenshaw

28-3101C. A commercial driver license is not required to operate a vehicle described in subsection A, paragraph 1, 2 or 3 of this section if the vehicle has been issued a historic vehicle license plate pursuant to section 28-2484 and the department provides in the vehicle registration record both of the following:
1. That the vehicle is classified as a noncommercial vehicle and may not be used as a commercial vehicle.
2. The vehicle's gross vehicle weight is entered as zero.

0 GVW???

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
28-3101C. A commercial driver license is not required to operate a vehicle described in subsection A, paragraph 1, 2 or 3 of this section if the vehicle has been issued a historic vehicle license plate pursuant to section 28-2484 and the department provides in the vehicle registration record both of the following:
1. That the vehicle is classified as a noncommercial vehicle and may not be used as a commercial vehicle.
2. The vehicle's gross vehicle weight is entered as zero.

0 GVW???
Right, you don't pay any weight fees on a historic plate.

Woodsplinter

I just talked to my contact with the 3rd party agent I use in Phoenix and she confirmed that they can no longer process new registrations for military vehicles- you must go to a state MVD office. Apparently there is some confusion over registration renewal. MVD has put some "code" on the registration record of some military vehicles which would require them to come into a MVD office to renew. Apparently some can still be done at a 3rd party office. To find out if you can renew your military vehicle at a 3rd party agent, call them and give them your license plate number or VIN and they will check for you.

Typical gov't red tape that is subject to change on an almost daily basis.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks