• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New to me and Dad M38A1

Al Harvey

Helomedic, Looks like your getting ready to go full bore on the project and I'm guessing you will be building another A1 in the future. Feels good getting the parts together doesn't it. Seems like getting the parts can be just as much fun as anything else. One thing about the pictures, upload them to the site instead of posting links. The mods are trying to get people away from posting links to photo sites because people end up moving or deleting them, then the info is gone from here. Can't wait to see more. Guess I gotta get back to building mine.......

I picked up 4 - NOS early style M38a1 front leaf springs in Asheville last Sunday. I'm trying to find someone with a pair of NOS rears that wants to trade now.
How do you identify the rear springs? I have a 2 sets of springs here, one I think is NOS and the other used that I believe are for M38A1 but not sure how to identify them. Saw the posting on G503 and was going to reply but saw this one here too.

wilfreeman

Hey Al, I think the rear 'a1 springs are 44 1/2" eye to eye, have a 7/16" eye bolt, 1.75" wide, 13 leaves and 6 leaf clamps (with the bolt holding them together, not bent over).

Last edited:

helomedic1171

Helomedic, Looks like your getting ready to go full bore on the project and I'm guessing you will be building another A1 in the future. Feels good getting the parts together doesn't it. Seems like getting the parts can be just as much fun as anything else.... Guess I gotta get back to building mine.......
yup! Dad goes on Ebay all the time just cruising for stuff. we picked up a carb in good shape the other day, and we're waiting on it to show up. there's still little things that will become known as we go along, but I'm trying to get to the point where we know what sheet metal we need to fix it. the quarters look like they'll blast clean and look fine with a little metal work, but most of the floors are junk. the A1 footwells are going to need help too, because there's quite a bit of metal that's eaten up there. I'm most worried about the trans tunnel sections, where the panels bolt to. the floors will only help so much with that part.

Al Harvey

Hey Al, I think the rear 'a1 springs are 44 1/2" eye to eye, have a 7/16" eye bolt, 1.75" wide, 13 leaves and 6 leaf clamps (with the bolt holding them together, not bent over).
Well I still don't know what leafs I have then. lol The sets that I have are 35 1/4" eye to eye with 10 leafs and two bolt retainers, the other set is about 40.5" eye to eye with 11 leafs and 4 bolt on retainers. Though there are some numbers I'll have to look up.

Attachments

wilfreeman

I would almost bet they are m38 springs, but of course the mb and gpw also measure the same (they had an 8 leaf version too). The m38/mb springs measure slightly more than yours - 36.25" and 42"(compared to 35.25" and 40.5"), but the leaves and clamps are the same. Gpw clamps are marked with an F of course.

Another maybe would be trailer springs - m100 or 416s.

Last edited:

wilfreeman

I just got home and measured both of my m100s. With weight on them, and old, they measure 35.5" + they both have the bent over clamps, so thats not a match on them - my guess is m38.

Al Harvey

I just got home and measured both of my m100s. With weight on them, and old, they measure 35.5" + they both have the bent over clamps, so thats not a match on them - my guess is m38.
I glanced under my M38A1, but there is too much stuff in the way to really see lol, and the rear one I saw had the bent clamps. I'll have to check the other three when I get things moved around cause that one could've been replaced over time. Haven't done anything with the M38 since we bought it so I don't know what has been or hasn't been replaced. Amazing how time flies when projects get in the way.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks