• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Carburetor filling with gas-M882

jmartin

I have an M882 with a 318 and a two barrel Carter, I think, carberator. This truck is a 1977. I had the carb rebuilt by a legend of a Mopar guy in my area. While the carb was being rebuilt, the gas tank was removed from the truck, cleaned and replaced with a new sending unit. Since putting the truck back together, about 30% of the time the truck won't start. It is randomly just filling the carb with gas. Gas wont run out the top of the carb but it runs out of the seams in the carb where the top and bottom half screw together. The screws are tight. The only way to get the truck started after it does this, is to remove the gas line from the carb, remove the needle valve and seat, and reinstall. The guy who rebuilt the carb says that the thing is filling with gas because trash is getting in the needle valve. The fuel filter has been replaced three times and is installed in the right direction. I think something is wrong with the carb itself. Is there anyone out there who can help diagnose this problem? I need the truck to start and run well every time I turn the key. Also, does anyone know of a resource that would have a brand new NOS Carter carb for sale? Feel free to call, text, or email to my personal email. Thanks in advance.

Jim
757-478-0370
jazzythreads@cox.net

Scar59

Steel Soldiers Supporter
jim,
The leak sounds like the main plate (top) gasket is missing or out of alignment with the carb body. The overfilling is a result of a bad float; of combination of float/needle valve stuck, or out of adjustment with float. These carbs are real easy to take apart and start over with a fresh kit. Sometimes the "legend" rebuild guys know to many short cuts and the end product reflect that. Time to start over.

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
do you have an inline filter at the fuel pump?
If it was consistent, as in always did it the same then it could be a float issue either set too high or a leaking or saturated float.
Is your fuel line actually rated for gasoline? I have seen todays gas turn the inside of some rubber hoses to goo.
I have also seen the el-cheapo clear filters that let unfiltered gas through because the filter element was loose inside.
As basic as a Carter BBD is it would be hard to screw up a rebuild kit install.

jmartin

Thanks for the responses. Just to shed more light on this problem. Scar59, sorry I don't have your name, are you talking about the thick gasket that sits on the manifold before you mount the caberator? Bob, all of the gas lines on this truck are original except the rubber fuel lines(very short pieces) coming off of the sending unit. This is the story. Last fall I was trying to start the truck. it wouldn't start. Thought it may be low on gas as the gas gauge never did work. I went into the garage(I rent an apartment over the garage) grabbed a RED gas can of Gas and poured it in my truck. The truck ran but it ran like it had two spark plug wires off. I don't use the truck as a daily driver so it sat while I pondered what could be wrong with my truck. A couple of weeks later my landlord called me and said he knew what was wrong with my truck. He was missing five gallons of diesel fuel that he had put in a RED can. I removed the fuel tank from the truck and cleaned it thoroughly, I replaced the sending unit, and fixed a couple of hairline cracks in the tank which would leak gas when the tank was absolutely full. Everything was reinstalled with the two short pieces of new gas line, one a supply line which connected to a piece of factory metal tube, and one short piece is to vent the tank. While I had the tank out and the truck was apart, I removed the carb and had it rebuilt. I put the truck back together and replaced the inline gas filter with a new cheap clear inline filter. Could trash from the diaphram breaking down due to diesel exposure be causing trash to stick in the needle valve?

rickf

I would tend to agree, bad fuel pump. Replace the pump and put a quality, brand name filter between the pump and the carb. You will have to pull the top off of the carb and rinse out the trash that has gotten in there. Also look closely at the gasket you say is leaking on the carb, it should seal so there is a problem with it, either it did not set in there right or there may have been old gasket material left on the surface.

rickf

Fram, Purolator, Wix. Could use a metal one but the clear plastics ones you can see what is in them. That way you will know what is coming through the line.

rebelreck

To clear up any carb issues, 1, buy a rebuilt one, 2 get one from a junk yard. Swap it out with Yours, and see if problem continues. Definitely clean the fuel tank, and check fuel pump. I replaced all the fuel lines on My from the tank to the carb. Even if Your truck has low miles, it is still almost 30 years old. Modern fuels will deterioate the old rubber in the fuel systems faster. Need to use modern fuel line with a PTFE liner.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks