• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Extreme Unimog Video

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 404.1 has a final gear ration of like 7.45 an that is the normal ration you can also get another add on that will reduce it by a fair amount more, Very capable vehicle!
KK

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Subscribed

Another Ahab

The 404.1 has a final gear ration of like 7.45 an that is the normal ration you can also get another add on that will reduce it by a fair amount more, Very capable vehicle!
KK
I got a kick out of the text under the video describing that they're on a new "trail"; trail wasn't the first image that came to mind looking at all that boulder and rock.

Last edited:

scottgs

At the 2013 Southeast MogFest in Tennessee, they had a drag race. Most drivers started thier Mogs, engaged 1st gear in schnecke (snail) range, then got out and waited at the finish lines for the Mog's to arrive. The race took something like 30 minutes to go the full 40 feet of the drag strip. Last Mog to the finish line won.

The 404 shown in the video has only a moderately low gearset by Unimog standards. Many Unimogs with "working" gears are geared down more than 4,000:1 in the lowest gear (counting the transmission, axle diffs and portals).

Another Ahab

At the 2013 Southeast MogFest in Tennessee, they had a drag race. Most drivers started thier Mogs, engaged 1st gear in schnecke (snail) range, then got out and waited at the finish lines for the Mog's to arrive. The race took something like 30 minutes to go the full 40 feet of the drag strip. Last Mog to the finish line won.

The 404 shown in the video has only a moderately low gearset by Unimog standards. Many Unimogs with "working" gears are geared down more than 4,000:1 in the lowest gear (counting the transmission, axle diffs and portals).
That's absolutely crazy. You could go overnight canoeing (put a GPS on it), and:

- start it at the put-in
- and time it to meet you at the take-out

I mean, sort of. Wild.

saddamsnightmare

February 6th, 2014.

AnotherAhab:

I believe just the final axle ratios on the stock S404.114 is about 7.65 to 1, with normal "1" gear that gets about 175 to 300 RPMs of the engine to one turn of the wheels. The "auxiliary" transmission ends up adding either 6 or 8 gears in low range 1+2 gears, with a final output speed of about 450 feet an hour. These critters were designed to be farm tractors originally, so the gearboxes had to allow for different ground speeds and PTO output speeds.
The downside of an Unimog, when you get stuck, you are generally really well stuck!

http://youtu.be/hPQ3PFt_vXw

Some more off roading with S404.114's:

http://youtu.be/CTxWRF7uQjY
The S406/408/412's that Case brought to the US had a stock 24 or 29 gear transmission, and they were sold with a buku lot of add-ons to fit them up for various industrial or agricultural applications. A lot of these guys doing the extreme rock crawling have been known to break the panhard member in the frame by the steering gear boxes, by exceeding the engineers intended design use by several factors of severity. I am so fond of my Unimog S404.114, that while I can outperform most American 4X4's without thinking about it, I do give the truck the benefit of the doubt as she is going on 51 years old this year, and about all she doesn't like is extreme cold weather starts (sitting out in the cold just makes her a bear to crank or fire off even as a gas engine truck).

One of my favorites, a more modern Unimog as a locomotive:

http://youtu.be/JsrdO_hl8RI

http://youtu.be/DpKNKA1_kUw

http://youtu.be/7ZRX5E_9dDk

Tray that with your common Ford, Dodge or Chevrolet pickup, here is where the gearing goes to work!
Have a Good Evening!:D

Last edited:

saddamsnightmare

February 7th, 2014.

Mercunimog:

On the red U 406/8(?) when the gentleman shifted the lever on the left side of the engine housing, was that taking it from L-1 to L-2 functionally? On the S404's I believe that the auxiliary gearbox shifter ends up over by the F-N-R shifter according to the diagram plates on the engine cover. I will say that I have seen a Unimog stuck in Texas (not mine) so bad that it took two deuces to get it unstuck. Those who have not yet driven a Unimog have yet to see the light, so to speak.

Have a Good Morning, Gentlemen!;)

Mercunimog404

Banned
February 7th, 2014.

Mercunimog:

On the red U 406/8(?) when the gentleman shifted the lever on the left side of the engine housing, was that taking it from L-1 to L-2 functionally? On the S404's I believe that the auxiliary gearbox shifter ends up over by the F-N-R shifter according to the diagram plates on the engine cover. I will say that I have seen a Unimog stuck in Texas (not mine) so bad that it took two deuces to get it unstuck. Those who have not yet driven a Unimog have yet to see the light, so to speak.

I think the lever he was pulling was the throttle. I could be wrong. On the 404 it is right beneath the f-r lever. You have to move the f-r lever into neutral in order to engage the crawler. I'll take a picture of mine and post it. I agree about seeing the light. :)

Another Ahab

February 7th, 2014.

Mercunimog:

I think the lever he was pulling was the throttle. I could be wrong. On the 404 it is right beneath the f-r lever. You have to move the f-r lever into neutral in order to engage the crawler. I'll take a picture of mine and post it. I agree about seeing the light. :)
"I see", said the Blind Carpenter, as he picked-up his hammer, and Saw:

Unimog Poem #1

The Light/
Is Very Bright

Last edited:

saddamsnightmare

February 7th, 2014.

Very Interesting! The hand throttle on the Swiss S404.114s is up above the engine cover and is locked with a butterfly nut, just to the left of the choke. I use it often to warm the truck up at high idle, and as cruise on road trips (not a very fast cruise ,mind you, but it does beat pushing the foot throttle. The Ultra low range gear shift should be between the standard gearshift and the F-N-R lever (at least, again, according to the s404 series manuals and data plates). I'd love to get a 408/412 or better yet a U1300L, as they seem to be more user friendly on comfort then the older s's are.:!:

Cheers,

Mercunimog404

Banned
February 7th, 2014.

Very Interesting! The hand throttle on the Swiss S404.114s is up above the engine cover and is locked with a butterfly nut, just to the left of the choke. I use it often to warm the truck up at high idle, and as cruise on road trips (not a very fast cruise ,mind you, but it does beat pushing the foot throttle. The Ultra low range gear shift should be between the standard gearshift and the F-N-R lever (at least, again, according to the s404 series manuals and data plates). I'd love to get a 408/412 or better yet a U1300L, as they seem to be more user friendly on comfort then the older s's are.:!:

Cheers,
On the 404? No it's right below the f-r lever. I'll take a picture tomorrow as the truck is parked at the in-laws. I would love to get a 1300. So nice power steering, diesel and nice cab :)

saddamsnightmare

February 7th, 2014.

Mercunimog:

The S404.114 (Swiss) I have, SN 446, and her sister #443 (in the Dallas,TX area), both have the hand throttle up on the metal hood above the engine, just behind the radiator top tank and to the left of the choke knob. The only other thing on that cover is the turn signal switch lever and the map light with the retracting cover to turn it on., and from what I have seen of these two 1963's they were pretty much unaltered from built. The only minor difference between 443 and 446 is that mine has the VDO wheel position indicator attached to the steering column under the steering wheel to give the wheel direction of their point, and the other truck did not have this device.

The levers on the floor from L to R behind the engine cover, between the seats are:
1. Fuel selector valve handle, Main, Reserve and "Off"
2. FWD shifter & lock lever
3. Handbrake lever
4. Main shifter 1-6 gears
5. over by the passenger seat "F-N-D" lever
(No PTO or Winch controls present, no Ultra low range lever either)

Purely stock 404.114 from 1963 according to the original German operators manual, and the English version manual covers the slightly later, more modern S404's just before the S406/408 production began. Apparently the Swiss Army did not want to spend one more mark on the basic truck, so they were delivered bare frame, cab and windshield, no cab cover, no cab bows, no cargo bed or cover, all of which the Swiss built in their own Army shops, so they are not standard when compared to the German trucks. The Belgians either had the Swiss build similar cab roofs and cargo beds for them, or they copied the design, as their trucks are very close to the Swiss S404.114's in general appearance and details.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks