• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

24V Battery Charger Questions, who makes a good one?

FlakShrapnel

Not an advertisement, but I'm looking for advice on lower cost battery chargers...!!!

I know the most preferred method is to use $1100 and up expensive battery chargers, but can I make use of a lower cost charger?

Is it possible to use run-of-the mill Schumacher 12V - 10/30/50amp charger to maintain and/or recharge M923A2 batteries linked together or is it recommended recharging batteries individually if you only have a simple ordinary 12V charger...?

IYHO, Will this particular unit fulfill recharging safely 24V M923A2 batteries...? Time elapse to fully recharge is not an issue only to keep batteries in good working order.

NOCO/26 Amp 12/24 Volt Genius battery charger...
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ac...y-charger/_/N-2604?itemIdentifier=388471_0_0_

Last edited by a moderator:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes, I have several Schumacher chargers and it is what I use on all my equipment.

FlakShrapnel

If you keep batteries linked together how long is the average battery charge. Reason I'm asking is my charger I have now is older and doesn't have all the automatic stuff new ones have now. Personally time isn't an issue but I don't want to start a melt down.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please change your user profile to list your state of residence. You where told to do that a week ago by another moderator. No need to ignore the forum rules.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Regular 12V battery charger works great, doing one battery. They can stay linked together but only hook the charger to one battery at a time.

The NOCO will do all batteries at the same time and if you use the net you can find them cheaper than A Zone. It is also a maintainer.

FlakShrapnel

Older Schumacher 12V - 10/30/50amp charger purchased from Sears twenty years ago.

I'm more than willing to update battery charger, but would like to make sure which one would works best hopefully under a arm and leg price.

4 - 12V non-sealed almost perfectly square shaped batteries linked together + to -. Positive and negative battery cables on opposite corners of complete linked batteries. It's my understanding the most common battery set-up for the 1991 BMY Harsco M923A2.

MtnSnow

Your running what is known as a series/parallel configuration (2x12v = 24v with the two 24v strings connected in parallel) which gives you greater capacity at 24v

With the 12v charger you are better off undoing the cables and charge each battery individually. Each battery on the 10amp setting will need to run for about 13.4 hours if you have the military 6TL batteries (approximately 108ah capacity each) with your older charger having about a 30% efficiency loss

OR you can use the 50amp setting and charge them approximately 2.9 hours using the 30% efficiency loss for the older charger BUT you run a much greater risk of boiling your batteries so use caution when using the higher amp charge settings

Last edited:

Hard Head

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had 4 12v AGM batteries that were between 3 and 6 volts. I tried different chargers and nothing seemed to work. Before ditching them I spent a little extra to get really good chargers to desulfate the batteries.. I bought the Genius Charger You can also buy 4 battery minders or the Pulse Tech for about the same price. I tried fast charges, slow charges, and was about to give up after doing this over and over for a week. Then I found out it would cost over 1,000 to replace the batteries. I got a try it and buy it from a company on the internet and I spent $200 on 2 - two bank Genius chargers. They did the trick in 3 days. I also reviewed the one below. Genius chargers saved me $800. So I was very happy. With Optima AGM batteries only charging to 3.6 and 6.0 volts, I really didn't think they would ever recover. Individual 12 volt control/charging is worth the extra over 24 volt chargers. They can overcharge a good battery while trying to bring a bad one up in series. Heck I even recovered my lawn tractor battery that was shot.

[h=1]Genius Multipurpose 4-Bank Battery Charger — 6V/12V, 4.4 Amp, Model# G4[/h]The Genius Multipurpose 4-Bank Battery Charger is a smart, 7-step fully automatic 4.4 Amp switch-mode battery charger and maintainer with 4 independent battery banks. Safely and efficiently charges different battery sizes, voltages (6V or 12V), and battery types (wet cell, gel, MF and AGM), simultaneously.

[h=3]Xtreme Charge 4-Station QuadLink Battery Charger Kit by Pulse Tech QL4-K1
Product Description[/h]The 4-Station QuadLink Charger Kit includes an Xtreme Charge Battery Charger & Desulfator, a QuadLink multiplier, a 12V battery tester, (4) 2' battery leads with lugs, a 2' battery lead with clips, (4) 5' extension leads and (2) 25' extension leads - everything needed to maintain FOUR 12V batteries individually or in 24V, 36V & 48V series configurations. That's a huge savings over buying products individually! The simple plug & play system maintains the batteries sequentially in ten minute intervals indefinitely without the risk of overcharging

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had 4 12v AGM batteries that were between 3 and 6 volts. I tried different chargers and nothing seemed to work. Before ditching them I spent a little extra to get really good chargers to desulfate the batteries.. I bought the Genius Charger You can also buy 4 battery minders or the Pulse Tech for about the same price. I tried fast charges, slow charges, and was about to give up after doing this over and over for a week. Then I found out it would cost over 1,000 to replace the batteries. I got a try it and buy it from a company on the internet and I spent $200 on 2 - two bank Genius chargers. They did the trick in 3 days. I also reviewed the one below. Genius chargers saved me $800. So I was very happy. With Optima AGM batteries only charging to 3.6 and 6.0 volts, I really didn't think they would ever recover. Individual 12 volt control/charging is worth the extra over 24 volt chargers. They can overcharge a good battery while trying to bring a bad one up in series. Heck I even recovered my lawn tractor battery that was shot.

Genius Multipurpose 4-Bank Battery Charger — 6V/12V, 4.4 Amp, Model# G4

The Genius Multipurpose 4-Bank Battery Charger is a smart, 7-step fully automatic 4.4 Amp switch-mode battery charger and maintainer with 4 independent battery banks. Safely and efficiently charges different battery sizes, voltages (6V or 12V), and battery types (wet cell, gel, MF and AGM), simultaneously.

Xtreme Charge 4-Station QuadLink Battery Charger Kit by Pulse Tech QL4-K1
Product Description

The 4-Station QuadLink Charger Kit includes an Xtreme Charge Battery Charger & Desulfator, a QuadLink multiplier, a 12V battery tester, (4) 2' battery leads with lugs, a 2' battery lead with clips, (4) 5' extension leads and (2) 25' extension leads - everything needed to maintain FOUR 12V batteries individually or in 24V, 36V & 48V series configurations. That's a huge savings over buying products individually! The simple plug & play system maintains the batteries sequentially in ten minute intervals indefinitely without the risk of overcharging
Did you actually use the Genius charger on truck batteries? Reason I ask is the product description is kinda vague in it says can maintain bigger batteries, but kinda specifies smaller batteries for all the features such as restoring them. I'm in need of a good charger/sulphider My 923 will barely turn over at all after sitting an hour hooked up with slave cables.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I have two of the big chargers they sell at Advance Auto and I use them to charge the big TL's and regular batteries.

I set them up in the cab when doing a 900 series truck. You have to take the wheels off them to get them to sit between the battery box and firewall.

I disconnect them, remove the cables from the posts and charge two batteries at a time.

As stated above I use the 10 amp setting and let the charge until the multi-meter shows 13 volts per battery. I usually takes a day or so but you have to check them often to keep from over doing it.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use both solargizers and the trickle chargers (depending on where the truck is).

74M35A2

You can use a 12V charger, and the price of it doesn't matter. You can charge 2 of the 4 batteries at the same time also, without undoing anything. As stated, it is 2 in parallel, and then those are in series, to make 24V. They are each 12V batteries though. Connect your charger to any one battery, and it will simultaneously be charging the other battery which is in parallel with it. This means the two batteries who's "+" are connected together. The charge rate will go half as fast as you expect it to, because you are charging 2 batteries at once. You can then switch the charger over to the other "set" of 2 batteries who's "+" are connected together. An automatic charger may not ever reach "full" if the batteries are in bad shape. Typical battery life is about 5 years. When you see one battery "+" connected to another battery "-", that is the jumper between sets which is linking them in series, making it a 24V system.

An open circuit voltage of 12.8V represents a fully charged battery (generally speaking). If using a specific gravity meter, this will be 1.26. The battery will show higher than this if just coming off the charger, this is called a "surface charge" and can be removed by turning the headlights on for 30 seconds or so. Then you can read the true voltage level.

Last edited:

EGW

Picked up a M925 from GL said it needed a jump.
Got it home and plugged in two of these. tied to one battery at a time.

BatteryMINDer Model 1500: 12 Volt 1.5 Amp Maintenance Charger / Desulfator

Very impressive. Started in 25 degree weather the other day NOW.
put same on my Loader and it started when it was 4 out.
well worth the 45.00 investment.
They make a jumper that you can attach it to 2 at a time and even y out to 4 at a time.

Note the batteries need to be Charged individually or the 15a fuse blows when you try to tie together a live and a weak one.
Once charged your good to go.

geo

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sometimes it's the easy things we overlook! I was going to remove the batteries and charge them on a couple chargers I have in the pole barn, Went to remove the negative cable.....Loose connection! Tightened it up and presto my engine cranking was back in business!

steelandcanvas

$$$ OUCH!

My choice has been the 24 Volt BatteryMINDer. No pulling out the batteries, no jumpers, etc. Comes with a pre-wired setup to leave connected to the batteries, just connect the charger and plug it in. The charger charges, de-sulfates, and maintains your AGM, GEL, and Flooded batteries. If you have some patience, Northern Tool will put them on sale occasionally for about $100, normally they are about $150 on Amazon.
BatteryMINDer 24041.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks