• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Do I need a permit to drive my M923 home?

jvanhorn83

I purchased a 923A2 from GL and they said that I can drive it home from CA to AZ with proof of insurance and a permit. Does anyone know how to obtain such a permit? I looked into One Time Permits from CA DMV but I am not sure if this is what I need and how to obtain one. Any help would be greatly appreciated

zout

Did you not consider any of this before even bidding on the truck ? Or do a search here ? just curious. Did you not check yourself into the legality of any of this to protect yourself even if someone answered your question wrong ?

trooper632

Yes you will need to get a permit, But you will probably need a permit through each state you drive through. Here in texas you just need proof of insurance and go to the local tax office to purchase the permits....... It is so simple to answer a question, good luck

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would not beleive anything that a GL employee says. All it is is hearsay. The DMV or an attorney is the only place to get a proper answe. Always get it writting as most state employees don't know the answer and the CHP will interpet it how thay want.

Kloakndagr

JV83, wow -- second post and you get a wiseA$$. I'd check into whatever state you have a drivers license in. Since you don't state what class you have I'm not gonna guess. Check with your local dmv, I don't know what differences there are between CA and AZ. Good luck. Welcome to the klan. Most of the other posters are actually helpful without the tude. I got my deuce from a private party, used a one-way permit.

jvanhorn83

I didn't look into much for permits, I was just hoping to drive it home rather than have it hauled is all. Thanks for the help

jvanhorn83

JV83, wow -- second post and you get a wiseA$$. I'd check into whatever state you have a drivers license in. Since you don't state what class you have I'm not gonna guess. Check with your local dmv, I don't know what differences there are between CA and AZ. Good luck. Welcome to the klan. Most of the other posters are actually helpful without the tude. I got my deuce from a private party, used a one-way permit.
Thanks! I have just a regular DL in AZ. I checked with my local DMV and they only required proof of insurance but I know CA has some strict rules.

jvanhorn83

How did you go about getting your one way permit if you don't mind me asking. I tried to call the CA DMV but wait times were over 2 hours

Kloakndagr

Best bet....get a friend with a class B, smarter, safer and cheaper. If you get caught by the troopers, driving out of class that would be bad. If you get into an accident, driving out of class, that would be really really bad. Your trip from CA to AZ is a open invite for Murphy and we all know how he is. Especially if this is your first MV. Bring a cell phone and have cash just in case you breakdown in the middle of nowhere. I took the immigration express from central ca to sac, brought tools and cash just in case. Ended up staying at a hotel for one night, and Murphy struck at a rest stop, turns out the guy I bought the truck from switched the two NEW batteries with TWO OLD batteries, doesn't matter - I still scored a 1970 M35A2 w/winch AND a hardtop for $2k and I drove it home without any issues or problems other than the battery. Good luck.

jvanhorn83

Best bet....get a friend with a class B, smarter, safer and cheaper. If you get caught by the troopers, driving out of class that would be bad. If you get into an accident, driving out of class, that would be really really bad. Your trip from CA to AZ is a open invite for Murphy and we all know how he is. Especially if this is your first MV. Bring a cell phone and have cash just in case you breakdown in the middle of nowhere. I took the immigration express from central ca to sac, brought tools and cash just in case. Ended up staying at a hotel for one night, and Murphy struck at a rest stop, turns out the guy I bought the truck from switched the two NEW batteries with TWO OLD batteries, doesn't matter - I still scored a 1970 M35A2 w/winch AND a hardtop for $2k and I drove it home without any issues or problems other than the battery. Good luck.
Thanks for your help man! I really appreciate it

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the madness!

Read the -10 operator's manual and try to digest as much as your brain will hold from the 5 ton forum :)

We will also need pics asap !!! :)

quickfarms

Trip permits and insurance cards are a very tricky issue for a GL truck because without the correct vin the insurance card is useless and without a title you usually can not get a trip permit.

Then you have the whole class b issue.

I have had all my vehicles hauled off the base and back to the shop.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Did you not consider any of this before even bidding on the truck ? Or do a search here ? just curious. Did you not check yourself into the legality of any of this to protect yourself even if someone answered your question wrong ?
NOT a WISE A$$, Mr. Z was just stating a FACT in the form of a QUESTION, we get a LOT of people that look for this new gl win truck info. AFTER the truck is won, like how to get it off base, can I drive it, ect., ect., ect. ALL of the new gl won truck info SHOULD be in hand BEFORE a bid is made..

REMEMBER your LACK of PLANNING does NOT CONSTITUTE an EMERGENCY on our part.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I mean no disrespect. But there is a reason we have a tiered licensing system in the US. This is an example.

Now to the OP's questions. Most of it has been outlined. You'll certainly need a weight rating for the truck. You'll also need to check with your state and insurance company about insurance.

I'd suggest having the truck delivered instead of risking it until you have the proper license, insurance, and registration. You don't want to pay a ticket or have an accident when things aren't 100% with the paperwork/license.

jvanhorn83

I mean no disrespect. But there is a reason we have a tiered licensing system in the US. This is an example.

Now to the OP's questions. Most of it has been outlined. You'll certainly need a weight rating for the truck. You'll also need to check with your state and insurance company about insurance.

I'd suggest having the truck delivered instead of risking it until you have the proper license, insurance, and registration. You don't want to pay a ticket or have an accident when things aren't 100% with the paperwork/license.
After trying to get through to the CA DMV, I just decided to have it hauled. I researched as much as possible on here and like most said, I bid accordingly with an amount I was willing to lose. Thanks again everyone

wsucougarx

Yah, the veteran SS can be a bit salty in here. They mean well but sometimes don't come across that way. Being a triple axle truck, CA does require a CDL of some sort. Best to being a CDL buddy like Kloakndagr states. There are stories in here where troopers made guys leave their trucks at the weigh stations that didn't have the proper license. Bring all the tools you possibly can and TM's. Read the operators manual way ahead of time and bring it with you. You cannot bring enough tools or parts.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have all my GL purchases hauled home, I just think it's best considering what you're dealing with.

On a side note, are out of state drivers required to abide by CA CDL law if just passing through? I know here in TN, if I travel to KY, they are ok with me violating some of their laws as long as I'm legal in my home state.

poppypizza

Uhhh ooo, I thought insurance and registration for a current vehicle is what I thought people meant.. Im from oregon and am leaving to pick a truck up in Fontana. Oregon the laws are much more lenient, Will GL let you leave without insurance on that particular truck?

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
On a side note, are out of state drivers required to abide by CA CDL law if just passing through?
Well, since the CDL is a federally mandated entity - I'd say yes. However, there is a big difference when talking about the WHO that is stopping you. Local Sherrif; not so much , DoT trained Trooper; abso-flamin-lutely.

Last edited:

Bighurt

I've always had my vehicles hauled off locally and picked them up at that location vs GL. That allowed me to get the VIN and other info for Registration and Insurance.

Also keep in mind some of these vehicles may not be entirely safe to drive home. It's impossible to say what Uncle Sam did before turning them in or how long to sit. If the ad says towed to lot, might be a reason.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks