• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923 & M925 questions

Cdub

Hey Guys,

Instead of driving everyone nuts in all the different threads
with all the questions I may have for the M939's. I thought
starting a separate thread would be a better idea.

Just a few general question that would aid me in learning
about a truck before I lay down some $$$.

During what years were the M923/M925 A1 and A2
made by AM General.....???

C'dub

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe the original M939 series trucks were produced from 1983 through 1985. The A1s followed in 1986 through 1988. The A2s were produced from 1989 through 1992. I am quoting this from memory. Maybe David Doyle can confirm... AM Gendeal ONLY produced the M939 and M939A1 series. BMY, a Division of Harsco, produced the A2. I believe BMY is now part of United Defense.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
...sorry I mistyped...should have been AM General instead of AM Gendeal...the brain is moving faster than the fingers...

Cdub

BKubu said:
...sorry I mistyped...should have been AM General instead of AM Gendeal...the brain is moving faster than the fingers...
WoW am I bad.......I didn't even catch that...
rofl

Thanks for the info Bruce, I'll add it to my notes..... [thumbzup]

seya,

C'dub

Cdub

Hey Guys,

by looking at the pic I can see the bumpers had
the paper clips that someone cut off. I've learned
that the Marines used them for wider lift points so
the truck doesn't flip over during hoisting. Also in
the pic the bed has split cargo sides...

Why would some of the Cargo M939's have a
split (two piece) drop side on the cargo beds and some
have a single long drop side......???

Would this be called a ISO drop side bed..??

and if so..

What does ISO stand for.....??

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is an ISO bed and the Marines use it alot if not exclusively. Pretty handy and universal.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
International Organization for Standardization (ISO)

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've had trucks with the ISO bed and with the original bed. Hands down, I prefer the original bed. You might be surprised how flimsy feeling the ISO bed sides are. With that said, it is a cool design that allows you to carry small shipping containers. Most of the USMC trucks had the ISO bed...although not all...I had a USMC M928A1 that had the original drop side bed.

Cdub

I have also noticed that the rear of the ISO bed is different
then the standard bed.........

This ISO bed seems to over hang much farther
then the standard bed and the body end pannel
on the ISO bed has some sort of cut out in the
middle with holes in it.

What would be the reason for that and why......??

would it have to do with the spair tire......??

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The cutout is for side storage. You can remove the sides if you have a Connex to move and store them there.

Cdub

The ISO bed appears to be a different bread of Cargo Bed in it self.
It looks much longer then the standard bed.

Looking through the TM Operator's Manual the ISO bed isn't even covered in there.

Where would I find more info on the ISO bed....??

Cheers,

C'dub

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The ISO bed is 15' long, the extra foot being at the back. The 'regular' single drop panel bed is 14'.
The beds are basically the same on the 800 and 900 series Marine trucks. On the 800s, the spare tire rack and jib are mounted inside the bed at the front, and there are no clearance lights on the sides.
The ISO bed also sits higher off the frame by about an inch or two (eyeballed, but haven't measured it).
As Recovry pointed out, the sides slide underneath when flatbedding, and the tailgate attaches to the upright panel at front of the bed. Since I don't take my side panels off, I carry a boarding ladder from an M820 in their slot under the bed.

Cdub

Hi M812rc,

Thanks so much for taking the time to share that with us........... :D

I found your post about the ISO bed very interesting and packed
with some great info............

I will use it very wisely.....

Cheers,

C'dub

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't think you'll find any info on the ISO bed in any standard "10" operator's manuals because it was retrofitted by the Marine Corps. I do not believe that they came from the factory with the ISO beds. When the trucks were overhauled at bases such as MCLB Albany, the trucks were converted to "Marine" trucks with the ISO beds and the lockers (and the fording kit).

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My truck supports what Bruce says- it has the ISO bed, super singles, and all the kits, and has a dash tag indicating it was rebuilt at MCLB Albany in 1989.
I have yet to find any manuals or documents that cover the ISO bed. Or one of the newer style tarps that will fit it!

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M813rc: If you are interested, I might be getting a brand new 5 ton cargo cover that is for the ISO bed. I only want the new bows out of the kit. I'd sell the new cargo cover and end curtains for $300. PM me if you are interested and I'll keep you posted about the potential deal.

Cdub

M813rc said:
My truck supports what Bruce says- it has the ISO bed, super singles, and all the kits, and has a dash tag indicating it was rebuilt at MCLB Albany in 1989.
I have yet to find any manuals or documents that cover the ISO bed. Or one of the newer style tarps that will fit it!
The ISO bed sounds cooler and cooler all the time.......I do like the mods the Marines
did with it.

A real versatile piece of equipment to have on the back of a 6 x 6.

Thanks guys,

C'dub

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some interesting ISO bed info in this old thread, but another terrible title for search purposes.

So my question is if most all ISO beds are on USMC trucks, and most all lockers where in USMC trucks, anyone care to make a guess at the chances any truck with an ISO bed will also have lockers in it?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks