• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-802a & 803a

storeman

Originally Posted by hcso2332
I picked up two 802s at the last auction. Both appear be to be in great shape. I will get them next week and spend another fortune on batteriesaua

2009 with 9 hours and was not a rebuild, paid 1600.
2002 with 3 hours , 2010 rebuild, paid 1405.

Prices have dropped from a year ago. But he is asking the "Retail Price". Again, I say it is whatever a person is willing to pay for a troubleshot and tested generator. Can't hang a price on it, other than GMG and they may be selling them.. who knows?

I know that if I pay 600-1000 for an auction unit and spend a bunch of time and some parts on it, I'd hope to double my $, at least. Time and effort is worth something and a lot of folks are gun-shy of digging into things.
Jerry

Last edited:

ETN550

is the civilian version 24 volt??
There is no exact civilian copy because the enclosure is different. But the Onan that uses the same engine and similar gen head is fitted to their classic steel skid and sheet steel housing. Those are 12 volt. The engine is a Lister Petter copy made by Onan. This engine is very available through Lister petter dealers and Onan also sells parts.

storeman

There is no exact civilian copy because the enclosure is different. But the Onan that uses the same engine and similar gen head is fitted to their classic steel skid and sheet steel housing. Those are 12 volt. The engine is a Lister Petter copy made by Onan. This engine is very available through Lister petter dealers and Onan also sells parts.
Things are confused. My comment had nothing to do with the 800 family. Guess I screwed up. The starter I sent was 24 volt for what I recalled was a civ generartor. Looking over 2 month old e-mails, it was an old Mil generator but he didn't know the model #, only the part # off the starter. Probably a MEP. Certainly 24V.
Sorry,
Jerry

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
They take (2) 2HN batteries. But anything will fit.
yes, anything will fit, but MT51R is the closest in correct size. 2HN are not allowed to be sold to civilians because of an agreement between exide and homeland security. you may be a terrorist and are not allowed to own an 2hn battery.

peapvp

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Originally Posted by hcso2332
I picked up two 802s at the last auction. Both appear be to be in great shape. I will get them next week and spend another fortune on batteriesaua

2009 with 9 hours and was not a rebuild, paid 1600.
2002 with 3 hours , 2010 rebuild, paid 1405.

Prices have dropped from a year ago. But he is asking the "Retail Price". Again, I say it is whatever a person is willing to pay for a troubleshot and tested generator. Can't hang a price on it, other than GMG and they may be selling them.. who knows?

I know that if I pay 600-1000 for an auction unit and spend a bunch of time and some parts on it, I'd hope to double my $, at least. Time and effort is worth something and a lot of folks are gun-shy of digging into things.
Jerry
Our Auto / Remote Starter Kit will work quite well with these unit's too!
:beer:

10Lugger

We just picked up a 802 yesterday. After getting it home and servicing to fire up, I discovered that it has no housing for the secondary filter. BTW this site has been a tremendous help thus far with links and info about these units. Hopefully someone can direct me to a source for that housing and bolt.

ETN550

The Onan engine is an exact copy under license of a Lister Petter LPW. The secondary filter housing is standard issue on the LPW. But it is not a throwaway housing. Any Lister Petter dealer on line can get it for you.

One of the great things about the 802/803 is the Lister Petter connection. All parts very available from multiple sources. The LPW has been made since the early 80's. It is still a main line today for Lister Petter. It is made in 2, 3, and 4 cylinder with an additional 4 cylinder turbo model. It is also made as an air cooled and water cooled engine. It is used in generators, pumps, Ditch witch, marine, etc. They have an incredible amount of accessories and options to configure them many ways.

I finished a head gasket repair last year on one and had parts in 2 days after ordering on the phone.

We just picked up a 802 yesterday. After getting it home and servicing to fire up, I discovered that it has no housing for the secondary filter. BTW this site has been a tremendous help thus far with links and info about these units. Hopefully someone can direct me to a source for that housing and bolt.

10Lugger

Thanks, I will get a housing from them. I made one today out of 2 1/2 o.d. exhaust pipe. I just had to hear if it would fire off. Bingo! I let it run, checked for issues, so far so good. I will spend more time on it Monday. This sites members helped a lot with the manual and operation links along with the first hand tech tips.

Rapracing

Wow! After reading the horror stories I sure am I had decided I would wait for a deal on an 803 or I may have ended up with one of the 802's. I'll really be gun shy now. For those who have got their hands on one ( those with the older sets) of the 80-'s what is your opinion. Are they inferior or less quality than the 00-'s genset's?

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
the 802, 803 are so much better than the 002, 003 that there is almost no comparasion, of course you really cannot compare an air cooled to a water cooled anyway. just my 2¢

dangier

Looking for opinions on how the long term maintenance compares with the 002/003 and 802/803? Being water cooled, the 802/803 have cooling system maintenance, belts, water pump, etc. Word is that both the Lister/Petter and the Onan engines are dependable. And parts are still available for both.

David

Knuckles

I think the 80Xs are designed better. I'm not sure if that makes them better though. My 1989 003 started in 10 seconds the first time I tried it. My 2009 803 has refused to start weeks (and many hours of work) later. So better to me, is not necessarily the newer, most high tech unit with the best design - better is the one hooked to my house, that I can count on to provide power when I need it. Right now my vote goes to the 003.

steelypip

The 802/803 is much more complicated than the 002/003. Its also quieter and more fuel efficient. A little smaller and lighter. Because it is a much newer design, parts are easier to come by. But then it has a lot more parts to begin with.

If an 802 falls into my lap at the right price, I will certainly adopt it. That said, I intend to keep the 002 indefinitely - it is a simple machine in good running order requiring very little care.

If I were shopping for my first standby gen set, I would tend toward the 002/003 because of the simplicity and good track record. The only exception I can think of is noise control in suburbia, where the newer design wins out.

dangier

Looking at the feedback from the last GL 802/803 sale, appears like the units are more complicated and the military mechanics had problems maintaining them. Not having worked on them, I still think I will stay with the 002 as I have many parts for them on hand (as well as a spare working unit). Did a full function test for two hours yesterday and my connected 002 performed excellent. The only appliances that require management are the dryer, water heater, and electric oven. Otherwise, everything else is just a switchover and go. The three appliances can be used sparingly (extended power outage is an emergency situation and we don't need the oven or dryer). I won't say that I would turn down a good price on a 802/803 though. Got to learn sometime. :)
David

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks