• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

MEP-802a & 803a

10Lugger

I might crank it tonight if I remember to pick up a funnel for the oil fill on the way home from work.

I had an ASK on my 002, damaged by DRMO before I got it, so I removed and gave it away. I think to another member. As much as I wanted to repair and keep it, I have enough to do. It's probably faster to dig a hole in the ground and put the 002 in it when it runs to dampen the sound...

Any good news?

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
for all with fuel delivery problems:
This is dependent on the actual design of the pump, but just because the bottom plunger moves, does not always mean the actual plunger is moving. Remove the injection line adapter and under it is the delivery valve, in the center is the plunger part of the pump. Using a 1/8" hardwood dowel see that it is moving when cranking.

Ratch

So does that mean if the lines and tank were 100% drained, the pump needs some initial manual priming before it will work? That would fit with what I experienced, but seems like a really poorly thought-out system for unit that have to be drained for storage and transport through customs.

Of course, an exhaust system that allows rain into the engine is not really great for fault tolerance, too, but it's what they have.

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
no, the fuel 'system' stays full of fuel, especially the injector pumps. the system is self priming with the supply pump running for maybe as much as a minute. what can happen is the plunger can stick in the up position if it has sat for many years.

Glockfan

That's a great price. My 802A won't power my whole house unless I take the water heater, dryer, and range individually with no additional load. It struggles to start my ancient 2.5 ton A/C but it does do it. Once running the a/C load is nothing. But, I can live with that as it is most efficient. However, I would like to get an 803 just because...
I put a $12.00 hard start kit on my heat pump which provides enough stored current to give the compressor about 500% more torque. Well worth the small investment and helps lessen the stress on your 802...

evanjohnson

Any suggestions on where to get a head gasket for an 803a? I just picked up a 2007 with 181 hours that is mounted to the front of a Keco reefer but it has coolant in the oil. I did a flush and got her started but fresh coolant in oil.

wildbilly1760

Can a mep 802a. 5Kw run a Lincoln idealarc 250 welder 220v. ? Thinking of mounting the welder onto the gen trailer for use on welding projects that are far from my house. Thanks

kb3bf

Hi Wildbilly

I have a pair of 802As and I would not use them with your welder. You need at least an 803A for around 10KW.
Your welder's manual states it will draw 68Amps at 220V (with KVAR correction, using capacitors). The 802A will handle about a third of that amperage. The 803A might be able if you don't use max welding current and keep the duty cycle low.
I hope this helps.

Guyfang

Staff member
"I have not seen one yet that has signs of wet stacking. So they may be very resistant to it."

I agreed with everything you said until this statement about wet stacking. IF you under load these sets they WILL wet stack like crazy. I have seen hundreds and corrected the problem by the only way possible. Run the set at full load for 6-8 hours.

That's the good thing about most of your load requirements. You need/have a relatively stable load, whether its 5 KW or 10 KW. You plan on using a generator that is close to your needs. The Military has another kind of mindset altogether. If the max load requirement is 4-5 KW, the military will allocate a 10 KW generator for the job. A perfect case in point were the Duck Hunters, (Air Defenders) during the heyday of HAWK low to middle altitude, Air Defence System. All the generators ran at 30-45% load. Wet stacking was a big problem. To compound it, and prove that no one could learn from the problem, along came PATRIOT Air Defence. Each firing battery had 6 launchers. Each launcher had a 15 KW, MEP-113A 400 hz generator mounted on it. The sets ran day and night to power up the launcher. Max load? 4-5 KW. The Exxon Valdez oil spill had nothing on these sets. So when the launcher suddenly needed more of a load, like to fire a bird, the generator sets dropped off line. We would receive them in our work shop and have to run them at stepped up loads until they could pull at least 15 KW. Usually took 8 hours of full load to clear it up. When PATRIOT went to the 15 KW, MEP-814A, 400 hz model, same problem. You are never going to run a set 1000 or 1600 hours at 20-40% load. Most of you are too consciences to do so. You know your requirements, and you try and stay close to it with the right generator set. But beleve me. Wet stacking can be a problem if you allow it to happen.

Lawman21

I have two 802's on a trailer. They can be joined together for 10000 watts. I have a fuel leak in one of them near the tank and from the drain hose. Is there a gasket in them that can.leak? Also the same generator won't start. I had a generator repair shop look at it. They told me it's only getting 18 volts. But needs 24 to start. They can't seem to find out why. Anyone have an idea on why it won't start? Batteries are new relays and wiring checked.

Guyfang

Staff member
For the leak, look at the well nut thread, by DAYBREAK. There is maybe someone in the forum who will sell you one, or you can find one yourself. BUT read the thread. There are well nuts, and there are well nuts.

When you say you cant start the set. What do you mean? Will the starter turn over? Do you just hear clicking when S-1 is engaged? Have you tried S-10, to see if that will crank it? Do you have the manuals for the set? Have you read them? If so, did you try the troubleshooting? I hope you didnt pay anything to the "generator shop".

What kind of trailer are you talking about? A picture is always good. Most Power Units or Power plants do not allow you to combine the outputs. You can synchronize the outputs, but its only to allow you to take one off line and replace it with another set, without interrupting operation.

Last edited:

Spud_Monkey

Can a mep 802a. 5Kw run a Lincoln idealarc 250 welder 220v. ? Thinking of mounting the welder onto the gen trailer for use on welding projects that are far from my house. Thanks
When my 803a ran it couldn't run a welder of your size even at smallest load it hates the transformer welders now a inverter welder it will run all day. For comparison it hated my Lincoln AC/DC 225 yet ran my Lincoln 210 MP no problem

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have two 802's on a trailer. They can be joined together for 10000 watts. I have a fuel leak in one of them near the tank and from the drain hose. Is there a gasket in them that can.leak? Also the same generator won't start. I had a generator repair shop look at it. They told me it's only getting 18 volts. But needs 24 to start. They can't seem to find out why. Anyone have an idea on why it won't start? Batteries are new relays and wiring checked.
Howdy,

You do not get charged extra for word usage. ;)

Start a new thread and give as much details about what you are working with.

A MEP-802A power plant does not combine the load. It allows you to keep constant power at the location. 1 unit runs til it needs something... oil change, you start the 2nd unit, you use the switch box to synchronize the power, you then let 2nd unit power your location, you then shut down unit 1 and change oil etc...

Pictures are great.

MEP-802/803 Filters and Parts

The infamous Well Nut info

Lawman21

Will these gen sets only start with optima yellow tops? I replaced all 4 batteries. I gen runs fine the second won't start at the switch. It will prime the pump but when turned to start it makes no sound. Totally dead I had a diagnostics run on it and the gen shop tells me it's only getting 18 volts. Starter and relays all good. Don't know if it's a combo bad switch and electrical issue.received_10210996852030818.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks