• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

My “new” Automotive Technik Ltd Pinzgauer 718K.

DSD277

It has been a while since I've updated the photos here. The Pinz has participated in 3 parades, served as a modest camper at Mogfest and 1 car show, and these are all I have is from the Torrance Armed Forces parade last May, Mogfest in October and show

Attachments

DSD277

A little late in posting, but a year has come and gone since I entered my Pinzgauer in the Queen's English British car meet last year. This year's visit was with a far better reception, as I went from the back of the meet last year (sort of from the back of the bus) to the front, next to the entry. :grin:
Even before I could set up, I was interview by usatoday.com.

Attachments

DSD277

Though I don't have any new photos, the end of last year did have me in contact with BAE in the UK, that fruited some basic numbers for Pinzgauers made in the UK., and more questions.
For reference, TD Pinzgauer VINs start at #1 and continue up year after year (never reset to 1), even with the factory moving from Austria to the UK. Only the WMI (world manufacturer identifier) code changed from VAG to SFF.

Notes added to a UK VIN breakdown sheet has UK (soft skin) Pinzes starting at #6001, and armoured variants (aka Vector) starting at 7001.

On another sheet, the # vary a bit as UK production went from #6032 to # 7242, but Vector prototype 1 was chassis # 7061 to #7242 (making a total of 181). The total UK Pinzgauer production stands at 1210 by these numbers.
Because of conflicting references, were chassis's between 6001 and 6031 made in Austria, or units assembled and completed in the UK after the ATL opened factory? or those number not utilized?

Things get more interesting, at least for me and my Pinz. ATL published newsletters announcing large sales contracts. The two most notably were the New Zealand LOV (Light Operational Vehicle) for approx 336 vehicles and another to MoD for 400 716MK (4x4 ,3 door hardtop). If the number total were made, it comes to 736 vehicles, all RHD. This does not take into account any of the general troop vehicles in use with the British army (716M, 718M or High Volume Bodies or ambulances). After removing another 181 Vectors leaves less than 300 vehicles for MoD and any other contract that ATL had for a Pinzgauer.

After dwelling on this a while, I asked about UK made LHD Pinzes , and the reply was that any LHD Pinz made in the UK would be very low volume almost custom vehicles.

So, I already knew my truck was a special order as a sales demonstrator for Stewart/Stevenson, so it fits the custom bill, :lol: I just wonder how many more were made?

ATL was pitching the 718 to the US Marine Corps as a gun tractor for the M777 Howitzer, but never happened, and supposedly, the Navy ordered a few.
A earlier ATL's newsletter also has order of a LHD to Saudi Arabia, unfortunately I can't tell for sure if they are UK or Austrian made, and SDP and ATL both used photos of older model Pinzgauers in literature and newsletters. From the exterior, I can't tell a P93 from the last Pinzes except from the later ones have different badging, and on the interior, trucks with the 2.5TDI have a completely different engine "doghouse".

DSD277

It has been a long time since I've updated this thread, and have recently gotten some 716/18 info worth posting. First, the total number of Austrian made TD's was 5215 The UK made Pinzes totaled out at 1210 to 1214 ( depending on which source you believe, one an ex ATL employee, the other BAE) .
I don't have any other breakdown to what were P80,P90 or P93 made in Austria or 716 or 718 , or LHD or RHD. At 6429, this means there were roughly 3 times the number of 710/712 made than 716/718 . o_O

On the UK manufacture side, Other than the total made, I haven't been able to get any breakdown of the P93 verses the number of the 2.5 TDI made, though 800ish might a fair guessimate of the 2.5 TDI in the 'soft skinned' 716/718. The only hard number is a total of 7 718s with the 2.5TDI AND in LHD were made. 4 were 718M made for the USMC with no followup info and there were 3 of the 718K, 2 of which were made for contracts in Europe and my 718K made as the demonstrator for S & S. As it was told to me, no other Pinzes were made in LHD in the UK... ( though I'd be completely shock if one wasn't in the early P93's assembled in the UK).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks