• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LT. Dan M35a2 Modification Thread

Mine doesn't leak but also isn't hooked up. The truck has a ether start on it which I also can't freakin figure out why that doesn't work either. Idk very frustrating between that and the horn.... I think it might be the temperature sensor that is bad on the ether start. I'm going to try and bypass it. If that doesn't get it going it's coming off too and a $2 can of ether will suffice just fine.

skinnyR1

Im just holding out for warm weather. When it is above 30 f, mine fires up a lot easier.

To further expand on the heater, it leaks onto the turbo when using it, holding the switch when cranking. It doesn't just leak in idle operation. It leaks like that when the flame isn't lit, and it goes out easily.

Leaking fuel into the crankcase, that's a different scenario. A matter of seals in the valve being bad.

tobyS

Hey Lt. Dan, glad to see you got your Deuce! Nice truck to start with for the modifications you have planned. Remind your neighbor that your friends have 5 tons, it could be a lot bigger, that you took his delicate feelings into consideration and decided not to class up the neighborhood with a really big truck.

Have you considered the Navy gray flat color with a blacked out bottom...that would look really cool. For only $3 each, you can get the Behr sample size that is to the federal standard. I got 12 to compare but no Navy gray.

Are you putting on the G177"s or going to 395's?

Well I haven't been to home depot yet but I was at lowes... they have Valspar..... Idk paint is paint to me lol..... they have this awesome shade called knights armor..... let me find the card....

A few of the neighbors love it.... they stop by when I'm out working on it.

And no I got 6 of these bad boys for $400 14.00R20 michelin xls.... 2 have. A it of dry rot but will be good spares.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

tobyS

Will it be a flat gray?

Are you going to get A3 rims or adapt? Do you plan on front lockouts?

Yes it will be flat grey.... It's a toss up between the left two.

As far as rims I'm going with stock deuce rims for now and will eventually switch to 5 ton two piece rims with bead locks. I'm going to cut the centers out of the deuce rims send weld them into the 5 ton rims.

Plans in the future but probably not for a year or so will be hydraulic power assist steering from lock out hubs and front and rear detriot lockers. This summer will be the extended cab. Not a 4 door a extended cab.

Attachments

tobyS

Yea, they seem rather faded but I thought it may be a good start point. Blacking out the bottom will make a lighter (not dark anyway) look really nice. I like the sand/tan color with the black bottom too. Personally I like a contrast, not two dark colors. That said, I'm using Green 383 and black on my 817, both are rather dark.

I'm sure whatever you choose, it will be awesome! Have fun with your new iron.

tobyS

I painted a bit of the Behr (383 green )with a brush on an M105 trailer and it covered up all the GL writing and smoothed out real well. They call it paint and primer.
It was close to freezing and the stuff is harder than nails now. I've always liked oil based paint but have become a fan of this new Behr. For $3 each, one can try a couple that are darker or lighter and not break the bank.

I did the black grill too and made an expanded metal cover (black also) to keep sticks and brush out of the radiator.

Yeah I have professional Wagner power painter that holds like 3 gallons so I'm going to wash the truck do a little wire brush and have at it. Just wondering how much paint I'll need.

tobyS

You should spot primer all the rust spots first, after removing the loose matls and debris, even grinding.

I doubt that it will take 3 gal (maybe as little as 2) with the underside black, but an extra gallon can probably do a trailer to match. I bet on 2 gals of black.

Are you tarping the bed (or a trailer)? Do you have a trailer?

I'm working on an m105, changing the axle (making a frame for dump bed) and using hummer wheels and tires. It would look sweet behind your bobbed deuce!

I have a m105 but it's being sacrificed for the bob. I plan on getting another m105 later on down the road but I think I'm going to put a mild lift on it and 2 more 14.00r20 so it sits level with the truck when it's done.

Today was an awesome day!!! I got the horn to work and I'm pretty sure I got the either injection to work too. There was a loose y splitter that I wasn't getting juice through. Greased it up and bam horn and now I have power to the either start too but Idk if it works yet. I'll try it tomorrow morning.

Also I got the rear mounts for my traction bar done and the lift blocks are done and I also got one side of the turn signal welded up for the side marker lights.

Also figured out what I need to bypass the fdc and turn the fuel up.

Attachments

Bad bad bad day...... I'm taking the truck for inspection tomorrow morning and was getting a few things lined up after work. Everything that could go wrong did. I put a LED light switch in the truck and it worked pretty good except the dash lights stay lit all the time. I put the old switch back in and it was fine. Everything else works ok just the dash lights are on all the time. Then I did the parking light mod jumping circuit 21 to 491. Thought I had the right wire and I didn't cut the wrong one. So I had to do it all over. Then I was checking lights and the right front turn signal was wired backwards. The running light was the turn signal and the turn signal was the running light. So I went to unplug the terminals and swap them and they pretty much crumbled in my fingers and the ends pulled off. So I had to quick splice them back together. Then after I did that the bulbs started blowing. Good thing I bought a bunch. After that I got my lower front grille sort of installed and ripped my arctic cover bad. I put it back on the truck and started to lace it tight and the lace ripped and I punched myself in the face...... was not a good day..... hopefully tomorrow goes better get the truck inspected in the am then going to get my hard top And then come home to put it on.....

RAYZER

"Sounds" like a bad day, I hope tomorrow goes better.
If your blowing bulbs check your grounds, install some star washers.
I hate it when I punch myself in the face.:D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks