• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LT. Dan M35a2 Modification Thread

tobyS

Yea, now I remember having them, but it seems there was extreme power being applied all of a sudden. Drag racing comes to mind. They kept the torque from twisting the axle but were not attached at the front.

Is there another name for the link that you are using?
Are you using springs on the rear?

Yes I'm using m105 springs.

Basically the weight of the truck causes hop and I'm hoping to stop it with these.

Check the modified forum for axle wrap in a bobbed deuce

It's a Hard Top!!!

It's finally a hard top. And man what a pain in the arse!!!!! None of the holes lined up at all so I had to drill all new holes. But it fit really well. I used 1/2" straps of pure silicone from work. There is no way it's leaking. In the front I put 2" wide rubber weather stripping. Also got the driver side window swapped. Any idea on how to get rust stains off of glass?

Oh and the truck is inspected hehe..... thanks to a good buddy of mine.

Attachments

bonedoc

Today was a beautiful day to get some work done in the Northeast. 50 degrees and sunny....gotta love it!! Truck looks great!!

Yes it was.... thanks a lot guys!!! I was hoping to get more done but the top turned into all day. It was also good my dad came over cause the top was a two person job. That silicone strip was a real bear and very sticky.

I'll have to post some interior pictures of this top. It's not like I ever seen before. None of the holes lined up in the back and it has a solid window. The inside has a lip upfront that will be good for mounting switches and sun visors. The truck is way quieter with the hard top. It's actually unbelievable how much quieter it is inside with windows up. No I have to get a good seal around the windows and windshields and get a muffler on her and then some interior padding and she'll be ready to rock to some AC/DC while cruising!!!!

Also here was my deuce/wife trade off..... she says it isn't a mack lol

Attachments

tobyS

I see your suspension mods and choice in this thread:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?118556-Axle-wrap-with-a-bobbed-deuce&p=1506413

There may be more but I made it through. What I noticed missing was a consideration of the 923 dogbone links? I know this is a deuce forum but the geometry of a 923 rear axle would seem to be perfect for a Deuce. It would be like the four link aftermarket referenced in the link above...but on steroids.

The alignment of the drive shafts is the issue. The best operating drive shafts maintain an angle that is parallel to the output shaft of the transfer case all the way through their travel. While a long ark has less wear than a short angle, the angle (in relation to the transfer case) is always changing. The argument in the thread is that with so little spring movement...changes in angle are moot. He has a point...but it is that you have a nearly rigid rear suspension with little travel.

I've considered this with the five tons (923) and bobbing one. Lt. Dan, if you understand the way a four link operates, look at the dog bone from a 923. The four link would allow a coil spring or air bag for more travel and flex, while maintaining drive shaft position.

I understand what your saying but I'm trying to keep it simple right now. My bars didn't cost me anything except for the him joints and I had the bushings from a old Ford truck I never finished.

Some day a 4 link rear and air bags will come but not till after power steering and front and rear lockers and winches.

cidrich

Glad to see you got your hard top and got it installed. Looks good. I have 2 trucks with hard tops and one without. I like both but if I had to choose it would be a hard top. I like it. Cant wait to get my mirrors so I can drive my newest bobbed truck. Good work and progress!

What a nightmare...... more things to fix now..... got the mirrors off today for cidrich and broke 3 out of 4 door hinge bolts...... got them soaking in Pb now so hopefully with a little tapping I can get them out without taking the hinges off.

Here's some shots of the hard top interior very strange I haven't seen one like this.... i like it though the doors fit nice and square and tight and it seems very solid. With some good weather stripping around the edges i see it being sealed quite well. A few shots of the light bar too lol but I'm building a rack for that.

Attachments

I'll tell you what Mr clean magic erasers are some freakin awesome things!!!! Below is a before and after of the new to me windshield I put in..... I got the hard top and the windshield assembly including the frame and both Windows and both wiper motors for $300. The windows as you could see has some heavy rust stains on them and the eraser all but took them off. The finer stuff I'm going to try steel wool and maybe polish but they are pretty darn good. The window has a but of surface rust on top on the outside but inside is like brand freakin new. And both wiper motors work great. Deal of the century for me!

Attachments

Well I installed my muffler today.... and I'll tell you Idk if I like it..... it no longer sounds like a deuce. And it's still loud as **** going down the road.... Idk just not satisfied with the out come. I love the way it looks just not happy with the sound.

Attachments

skinnyR1

I kinda felt that way too after I put mine on. But I came to realize that there are way to many other sources of noise from these things. The exhaust is just one of many sound makers. Im sure it still sounds like a deuce. I have the d turbo and consider just getting the c to be distinct deuce.

Get the truck up to speed and just push in the clutch, or shut the truck off entirely. There are so many other noises besides the exhaust note.

Oh I know..... I gotta get working on the cab insulation... I was just thinking on the way home this thing is loud..... maybe I'll just straight pipe it again lol..... idk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks