• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Blackwater armored truck

Marines42

PBS had a documentary about the Blackwater guys a couple of years back. Very interesting. They operate pretty much with no civilian or military oversight (or at least they did at the time) so while they are driving down the Iraqi highways they have tail gunners shooting at any driver they feel is getting too close. But since they have no real oversight, they aren't held to the same standards that our men & women in uniform are. So some of these guys can just be killing random civilians for their own amusement and not be held accountable.

Well since I worked for Blackwater, I will chime in here and say that you are misinformed and your statement is way off base. The men and women here are all former military and heavy on the spec ops end. Well gunners don't just "shoot at any vehicle they feel is getting too close." The use of force is set by the state department and they provide our oversight. Diplomatic security agents head each team. I was a Marine for 12 years and worked in civilian law enforcement as well. Please remove head from ass before speaking about something based on what you heard on CNN or read in the Washington Post. Our whole mission here is security for US personnel and despite how it is depicted on TV, there are no battalions of mercs running around engaging people.

Last edited:

deuce259

looks like grounds keeper willy in the 3rd photo. I work with a metric **** ton of former BW guys now. And Marines42 is correct on the DOS policies. Although back in 05/06 and early 07 the ROE was quite vague and it was what you had to do to survive. Now its tight, real tight.

Is that one made by toyota? I know Aegis was running some toyota manufactured types like that too.

davidkroberts

In regards to the original post, Im also a former "Blackwater Guy" and it is probably my old vehicle. Its a South African Puma and was repowered in country (by some kick-a** diesel mechanics of ours) with a 4BT Cummins and a 5 speed. Our heavier Saxon was repowered by a 6BT with an Allison. I think the original engine was a Perkins but dont quote me on it.

Yonder please refrain from passing judement on people and things you have no clue about. Calling us unsupervised killers is morally no different than our vets being called babykillers during vietnam. I dont appreciate being refered to as "basically a mercenary" when nothing could be farther from the truth. I am former Force Recon Marine with tons and tons of combat experience. It was an honor to work for the Dept of State taking diplomats to and from meetings and the very vehicle we are talking about has protected many Army units after they had been hit by IED's and during attacks. The unsupervised killers you are talking about have MEDEVACed dozens of US Military personnel with OUR helicopters because our response time was less than 10 minutes from call to delivery to the hospital.
I have over 5 years of experience in warzones and at no time have i killed anyone that was Innocent with oversite or otherwise.
Sgt Roberts
1st Force Recon Co
2nd Force Recon Co
3rd Force Recon Co
Al Anbar, Al Hilla, Baghdad, Al Kut, An Nasariiyah, Najaf, Diwaniyah, Karbala, and many many more than you have ever heard of.

Last edited:

watrousmark

The helicopter that was refered to on the first page was piloted by Ron "Cat Daddy" Johnson of Crossville Tn, a former 101st soldier who was wounded in the legs and then cross trained as a pilot. He served his 20 then got out and went to work for Black Water. There was a large price on his head, he went in to rescue a couple of his guys but it was a trap for him. After the bad guys tortured him with no oversight they executed him and mutilated his body again with no oversight.
Please pardon me for ranting, I was the ride captain at his funeral for the Patriot Guard. It's a hard thing to get to know his two sons and family and hear him talked of as if he went around casually killing.
Cool MV by the way.

Mudstone

rock that i dealt with some of the blackwater personel in my tour. they were well trained heavily professional. BTW keep in mind if we made a blanket statement based on Guantanamo then ALL ARMY soldiers are **** who treat people indignant. that is completely untrue. BW isn't as bad as our wonderdful completely objective media portrays :roll:

XM 2742

SO..............what was the result of the trial for the Blackwater guys that were accused of mowing down civilians and what type of truck were they driveing?

What kind of truck did Clinton drive as he slashe the military budget in the 90's?

Does CNN drive a truck with a message on the side that says "shoot the messenger?

davidkroberts

the two gunners in with Cat Daddy were old roommates and teammates of mine. Steve Gernet and Casey Casavant or G-man and Rooster to those who knew them. All of them were good people. Last I heard the other pilots brother is still in Iraq flying.

Marines42

the two gunners in with Cat Daddy were old roommates and teammates of mine. Steve Gernet and Casey Casavant or G-man and Rooster to those who knew them. All of them were good people. Last I heard the other pilots brother is still in Iraq flying.

Good stuff David. Glad to see another former Marine and BW alum around. I was on Raven 23 after all the drama. Red Detail isn't as fun as it once was. What about you?

Marines42

SO..............what was the result of the trial for the Blackwater guys that were accused of mowing down civilians and what type of truck were they driveing? Case dismissed

What kind of truck did Clinton drive as he slashe the military budget in the 90's?
Who knows?

Does CNN drive a truck with a message on the side that says "shoot the messenger? I wish

;-)

Catron

Wow the vehicles sure have changed from when I was over there. Everyone has been much better outfitted. Although cruising around in 1025's and 1026 with plywood and rubber gym mat armor w/ sandbag floors was better than nothing. I can say from experience that BW was always professional, helpful, and fun to be around. BW saved us or made our lives eaiser more than once.

Best we ever saw/had was 1114's and they were GREAT!!!!

(If you don't know what your talking about keep your yap shut, the news is not a reliable source as everyone should know :rant::deadhorse:)

Back on topic...Awesome rigs!!!

Stan Leschert

When you care enough to send only the very best!

If they save just one of our troopers, they got my vote.
As for oversight, a cancelled contract is much more effective that some stupid politican screaming to take away your rank and pension.
Do you really think that they have Carte Blanche? Really?

If you are that sure, feel free to enlist, and take over their job.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks