• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just won a 5 ton in Barstow. Who's can give me some pointers for picking it up?

quickfarms

Arizona does 3 day trip permits for $1. Insurance guy already got me handled even though my liability policy covers anything I drive. Just waiting on the actual VIN. Once again I will state that flat towing would be just to get it off base if they didn't allow drive off, moot point now. I wouldn't use the brakes for slow speed flat towing, just install caging bolts to release them.
Towing a vehicle with the brakes caged is so dangerous and illegal if done on the street.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You have to drive on streets to get it off of base. No matter, no base would allow such a tow set up or allow you to crawl around at 5 mph. They are active military installations, not ghost towns. If anything, on base is where you want to be 100% legal, legit and correct and save the shady stuff for off base.

Best of luck to you, there have been some really nice trucks coming out of Barstow lately.

philofab

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393990655.201426.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1393990689.727987.jpg

Picked it up today. Truck runs great, only issue was the start switch has dirty contacts (works fine after a few uses) and the wiper switch had an air leak. Fixed that, pulled the cargo cover and bows, checked everything out and drove it 175 miles home. Had 3/4 of a tank of fuel when I picked it up so I didn't even have to put fuel in it. The smurfs at the front gate only checked my ID, they didn't care about reg or insurance. Didn't even verify I had the correct truck when I left, just waved me through.

I got lucky with this truck... even found a bridge plate kit behind the seat. This thing is nicer than most trucks in service.

Truck was rebuilt 2,000 miles before I got it. Much nicer than I expected.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks