• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 axles under a M1008

Westech

CPL
Hey for 18 bucks.. no cutting of dash.... were good.
I did have a factory 1985 Chevrolet truck radio in there that I cleaned up but it was having fits
so I had no choice but to remove her.

Westech

CPL
I installed the under hod insulation tonight (it's 10* today) and what a noise difference inside the cab and out side the truck. Wow!! I got mine with clips off eBay for 49$ shipped. This is another must do!!!! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1420411738.126474.jpg

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We can call that the "Westy hood mod"!.

Westech

CPL

I made a short speed run in the HSM1008 today. She will hold 65 with ez and power to 80 on the flats.
very smooth at 65 MPH and with the new under hood insulation all you can hear is the wind noise from the 30 year old window seals.

I see this thread and have to ask myself is this loony, and Keep in mind Im now answering myself.

would you do this? And I answer well yes and no...as I personally would put M1008 axles and drivetrain into a M1009 as an upgrade for the M1009 but would not downgrade a M1008 with the inferior weaker axles from a M1009. Im assuming the op wanted opinions of his plan to do this.

eta a link with gear ratio calculators.
http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/gearing.htm

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I see this thread and have to ask myself is this loony, and Keep in mind Im now answering myself.

would you do this? And I answer well yes and no...as I personally would put M1008 axles and drivetrain into a M1009 as an upgrade for the M1009 but would not downgrade a M1008 with the inferior weaker axles from a M1009. Im assuming the op wanted opinions of his plan to do this.
Nope, this truck is a daily driver and he did it for economy.

Westech

CPL

If you are going to be towing 10K pounds or working the truck with heavy loads, yes I would not install 10 bolts.
But I am not towing loads heavy enough to damage the axles.
With the power out put of the 6.2 you would be hard pressed to take an axle out as is.
I installed the 10 bolts for two reasons. one: I got the truck with 3/4 ton axles that were hacked in and in VERY poor shape.
and two: I wanted the 3.08 gears for high way use. I drive a little over 90 miles a day to work and back.
I was packing on the miles in the new 2500HD.
This truck in the spring will become the daily driver. With 308's and 33" tires she idles down the road at 55 MPH.
And when I do need to go off road or a little play time I just slap her in Low range.
I have been adding parts to make her a good daily driver with out taking away the CUCV. Floor insulation and underhood insulation, automatic locking hubs (a very good upgrade) and very high powered radio.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks