• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 axles under a M1008

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you get 6 lug or 8 lug stuff Rich? Saving an M1008 from the scrapper and making a nice daily driver.

Westech

CPL
I got 6 lug. 200 bucks for both with springs and sway bar.
Really I could use the 8 lug hubs and axles but I have a brand new set of steel rims and firestone tires in 6 lug.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
You should have put him in the neighbor's mailbox that you don't like.

Imagine that surprise, finding a P-Oed possum in your mailbox!

wdbtchr

Wow! I haven't pulled that one since I was a teenager, about half a century ago. I'm interested in this thread because I'm restoring an '80 Chevy 3/4 ton that has really low gears, somewhere in the 5s but I forget the exact #, old brain and I didn't write it down. It's not military but is retired Department of Interior. I have a set of axles out of and '89 3/4 ton Suburban but I haven't counted the teeth yet.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow! I haven't pulled that one since I was a teenager, about half a century ago. I'm interested in this thread because I'm restoring an '80 Chevy 3/4 ton that has really low gears, somewhere in the 5s but I forget the exact #, old brain and I didn't write it down. It's not military but is retired Department of Interior. I have a set of axles out of and '89 3/4 ton Suburban but I haven't counted the teeth yet.
The burb axles will bolt right in to your 3/4 ton unless it's a 4 door. 5.?? gears should be hot sellers to the off highway crowd.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would run it keeping in mind that I might need to replace it soon. If you're not going to hotdog it, should be fine for quite some time. Plenty of time to hit the pick a part yards.

southdave

I have a 10bolt/14bolt out of 3/4 bruban 3:73 ratio under my 1009.. Had to do it cause of 4bt with nv4500 ... too much lugging and shifting but the axle where direct swap just had to get U bolts

Westech

CPL
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394887094.924829.jpg
Well I just ended up ordering new axle kits. Studs, nuts, bearings and seals. If I did not have to replace bearings and seals I would have for sure ran the old axles.
But for only 80$ more I could get the axle kit rather then buy new studs, bearings ect...
I hope to have the rear axle in late next week. If it ever warms up we are still below freezing !!
And baby will be here any day ...

Westech

CPL
Fun fact of the day. A 3/4 ton rear end yoke will fit a 1/2 ton ten bolt rear end. I swamped them out so I did not have to spend 35$ on the convertion u joint. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396202048.581490.jpg
I hope to have the rear end installed by the end of the day. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396202083.635891.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks