• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce window channel felt thickness?

bigginstactical

I recently bought front and rear channels to help smooth out my roll up windows on my deuce. For those who have experience with new or even good condition old channels how thick should the felts be in them? My new channels are metal with a rubber coating and then a very thin "flocked" felt. It seems pretty thin to me but I am not quite sure how thick it is actually supposed to be. My OEM channels are all completely warn out so I have nothing to compare to. I searched the TMs but only found how to replace everything and some adjustments. Nothing I found states how thick the felt should be. Its probably in a TM that I missed haha. Obviously it has to allow the window to fit, I'm mainly wondering if they added more rubber instead of felt that's supposed to be there. Any help on this is much appreciated. Could just be paranoid haha.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What brand are your new parts?

Cruceno

What you're describing sounds about right. I just replaced the window channels on both of my doors, and they looked like that. The felt was fairly thin in my opinion, but after installing both the front and rear channels, the window is definitely much more snug. Almost to the point of being difficult to close.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like I will have to dig a bit into my old files and notes... and post some more about it. Be patient!

OK, here we go... picture #1 shows the end product, installed; #2 is a cross section of the actual door window frame inside the channel, fitted with carpet. The rest of pics give all other dimensions...

The sheet metal used for the channel is #1.0mm stainless steel.
The stripes of carpet were glued in place using PU adhesive/ sealant. It doesn't take much to have it stay in place.
If the door frame was recently painted then a bit of silicone grease does the trick to avoid any grabbing. It was not necessary in my case.

G.

Attachments

Last edited:

Jeepsinker

So I'm guessing that you were forced to fabricate new channels because yours were too corroded? I will probably put mine in my bead blast cabinet and take them to bare metal, then repaint and glue in new carpet. Just have to find some of that carpet...

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Forced? Well, yes because I had no access to spare parts, used or new. And no, because for me this represents part of the hobby: recreate parts and eventually improve something...

It's fairly common to find those channels all rotted- from the lower end, upwards, and hanging loose; at least in vehicles that are over 50 years old (!)...
Making a dozen repros of them was no big deal for me, and being that bit of material, stainless steel doesn't really make a difference in cost.

I don't know if there are aftermarket replacement parts available or not. Maybe someone there should tool-up a bit... and start offering them - ready to install, say for $25-30 a pair...?;)

G.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So you really want to know where I got that fabric...?:)
... some place (in Montevideo) that sells upholstery materials and cheap carpets...

It should not be that difficult to find this in your area, also in form of carpet mats; -rugs and similar applications.

G.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks