• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Unimog 404 or Deuce?

99TCSig

Vermont-Unimog is the guy I am dealing with. He seems really knowledgeable and nice. He also said the upkeep on these things is fairly extensive. How does it compare to the deuce? He also noted that the carbs on these are a pain and that the tranny overheats a lot. What has been your experiences?

Mercunimog404

Banned
Vermont-Unimog is the guy I am dealing with. He seems really knowledgeable and nice. He also said the upkeep on these things is fairly extensive. How does it compare to the deuce? He also noted that the carbs on these are a pain and that the tranny overheats a lot. What has been your experiences?
In the 7 years I've owned it, it hasn't cost much money. He may be talking about preventative maintenance which costs money on anything.
The carbs are great. No issues. Just use gas treatment for ethanol. The tranny isn't designed to go 60-65 down the road. If you keep it below 50 you'll be ok. But good synthetic oil in it and you'll have no worried. Go on to benzworld.org.

99TCSig

Ok, that is good. I always run full synthetic Mobil 1 in my cars. He also said he would include shop manuals and the driver's manual. It seems like through the projected cost of tires (4 vs. 10), maintenance, gas prices and cost of insurance that the Unimog will actually end up being less than a deuce.

eaw46

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I checked all the Mogs available on both sites and for a nice one that is clean and running it is in the 8 to 12 K range I thought it would be. There is one in Tucson AZ for under 8K that does not look too bad I am going to check it out. Eddy

dburt

Any indicators that would show the clutch is about to go south? I have been looking at a '63 with 19K kilos on the clock. What do you look for? Hard to shift? Soft clutch pedal? The usual early warning signs of clutch issues, or are there other things to watch for?

Mercunimog404

Banned
Any indicators that would show the clutch is about to go south? I have been looking at a '63 with 19K kilos on the clock. What do you look for? Hard to shift? Soft clutch pedal? The usual early warning signs of clutch issues, or are there other things to watch for?
Good question. I really don't know. Try asking ok benzworld. They are the mog gurus.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks