• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Unimog 404 or Deuce?

99TCSig

Hello All,

I am a newbie to the MV world, but I have been doing a lot of research on the topic. My whole life I have wanted a Unimog 404, but a deuce and a half owner has almost convinced me to buy a deuce. His argument is that the deuce is cheaper, simpler and the parts are more available. It is also easier to find a deuce for sale, and the plethora of technical manuals (and in English) also makes working on them easier and more accessible. On the other hand, the Unimog is more drivable and from what some people say, better offroad. I plan on using both to go offroad and drive around town. I love the Unimog, but the deuce seems to be a better logistical option. I know there is a large constituency backing both MVs, but I am interested to learn from both sides. This would be my first MV, and although I am mechanically inclined (I do my own work on my car), I am by no means an expert and I mostly just continue to learn. I do not have a ton of money, but I have enough to buy a cheaper vehicle and be in the hobby. Thank you for any input and I know this is a tough choice!

-Eager to Own a MV

ixpacman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I own Both .A 1966 Unimog 404 TLF converted into road service vehicle and a M35a2 dump conversion that is used commercially. The M35 is easier to work on and parts are more available but when I need the Unimog ,I need the Unimog.I think it just depends on what you are going to do with it.You can get just about any part you need to fix most unimogs and some things aren't expensive. The diesel unimogs I would prefer but you are going to pay a lot more money for one of them than a gasoline 404S. If you want to pay less money in total between purchase cost and maintanence the duece will possibly be the best choice if you get a good one that has been taken care of properly. My two cents-good luck Harry

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I completely agree with the above post. For getting hard work done, go with the deuce. For a nimble off road truck, go with the 404. Either truck will give you plenty of wrenching time and opportunities to spend your hard earned money.

And there are conversion threads out there regarding converting the 404 to diesel, so if you get tired of the 'gasser, you will have a project to look forward to!

Best wishes and remember to post photos of your acquisition!

Rick

Mercunimog404

Banned
Hello All,

I am a newbie to the MV world, but I have been doing a lot of research on the topic. My whole life I have wanted a Unimog 404, but a deuce and a half owner has almost convinced me to buy a deuce. His argument is that the deuce is cheaper, simpler and the parts are more available. It is also easier to find a deuce for sale, and the plethora of technical manuals (and in English) also makes working on them easier and more accessible. On the other hand, the Unimog is more drivable and from what some people say, better offroad. I plan on using both to go offroad and drive around town. I love the Unimog, but the deuce seems to be a better logistical option. I know there is a large constituency backing both MVs, but I am interested to learn from both sides. This would be my first MV, and although I am mechanically inclined (I do my own work on my car), I am by no means an expert and I mostly just continue to learn. I do not have a ton of money, but I have enough to buy a cheaper vehicle and be in the hobby. Thank you for any input and I know this is a tough choice!

-Eager to Own a MV
It's super easy to get parts for a 404. I have manual printed in English that will walk me through rebuilding any part on the truck. Unimogs are not that rare. In my area their is at least 5 running around. A Unimog will carry 4000 pounds so it'll carry a load.

99TCSig

Awesome, thank you guys. That is comforting knowing there is an english repair manual. If I can get a good Unimog at a decent price, I think I may go with that. I do not need a ton of hauling power, I am looking to drive them for fun around town and offroad, not as a big work vehicle. I will keep looking around and see what happens! The Unimog is so unique and cool, I may have to go with that.

PaFarmer

They are both military trucks, but they are a lot different. The mog is a good bit smaller, half the weight, more nimble suspension and better wheeling off road. The deuce is a lot more common, more tech and parts support, more cargo capacity and another axle.

Condition being equal, the mog will likely be a good bit more expensive to buy and hard parts are generally more expensive and hard to find.

I like off roading and I prefer the mog off road. The suspension works a lot better. I use may dump deuce more, it is very handy.

You did not ask about 939 series 5 tons, but I really like them as well. They are nice to drive with power steering, power brakes and auto transmission. I have taken mine off roading as well and like it better than the deuce.

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I like this quote "My whole life I have wanted a Unimog 404".

:) I believe that is your answer!

You should define your use for the truck. Is it a daily driver? Need to haul heavy stuff and really need a large truck with 10 wheels/tires? Do you ever park in a 'normal' parking lot? The 404 will make small radius turns a large pickup can't make. [now I see your post #5]

You really should drive both vehicles before such a commitment. There's really no comparison in driveability and convenience, both aced by the 404, IMHO.

The 404 Unimog is low powered, is not a freeway speed vehicle (but is rated at 59 mph), and slows appreciably on hills. I go on a lot of cross country rides with Deuces and 5 tons and the Unimog hangs in there with them. What the big Diesel in the big trucks excels in is climbing the hills, but the 404 can do better at acceleration and high speed. On flat country the Unimog is much more maneuverable.

Parts are no problem. The 404 engine is early MB sedan and parts are as close as the local auto store. Any other parts are available from a network of Unimog suppliers across the US (but not MB dealers). Once you get any initial bugs out of a 404 Unimog, it becomes basically repair-free. These little trucks were made to see 30 years of service then be rebuilt for another 30 years. You'll be surprised at how many components run in lube reservoirs: diffs (of course), wheel/portal bearings, fan, idler pulley. water pump, distributor, etc.

Insurance: The 404 gets insured like a pickup truck. My 404's are listed as Mercedes "other". There is no Unimog category though LOL. 404 brakes are simply manual hydraulic. No air-over (on 404's) so no complications as to what license you need.

Bob

Last edited:

99TCSig

I think the 5 ton is too big for me, especially because I am a noob. I also really enjoy a manual transmission. I think I am starting to lean towards a Mog. I have seen videos of Mogs doing well on hills offroad, are you talking about a big hill on the road? Is the Mog way more superior offroad or is it similar to a deuce? I do not need ten wheels, or a big hauler. I really want these just for the fun and hobby. It also seems like insurance wise, over time, the Mog will earn its price over a deuce. This is making me excited to get into the hobby haha.

99TCSig

Also, some people say the Unimog is over engineered and more difficult to work on than the Deuce. I do like the simplicity of the Deuce, but is the Unimog truly that much more difficult to work on?

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi 99TCSig,

A 404 is probably the best all-around 'factory' offroad vehicle ever made. No modifications required. There are loads of videos on Youtube you can watch. There aren't a lot of rock-crawling Deuces or 5-tons on there.

Hills, yes, I was referring to long hills on the highway. You WILL downshift. The 404 has a really small displacement engine, only 2.2 L, or 134 CI. That's the same as a WWII Jeep, and the mog weighs over twice as much. You'd think that means the 404 would not pull a greased string out of ...well, er, anywhere, but the 404 will surprise you. The design of the engine/transmission/diff/portal ratios has some interesting characteristics. The engine is an overhead cam design that thrives on high RPM. 4500 rpm all day...no prob. 5000 plus, if necessary and tuned right.

The transmission is a 6 speed and 'granny' is very slow, 16:1 if I recall. Add the reduction of about 7.5:1 in the axles (combination diff/portals), and the 404 has slow crawl speed. With the tranny in high (1:1) the engine rpm allows the good road speed. Two reverse gears are fun to play with. When was the last time you heard someone shift gears going backwards?

Cost is an issue. There is no doubt you can buy a deuce, or even a 5-ton, for less than you will pay for a lower priced 404 Unimog. I would recommend buying a 'better' maintained 404, too. There are rusty 404's for cheap, or one with a bad clutch, engine, transmission. Go cheap and you will probably hate the choice eventually. My advice is save your money until you can get a decent truck.

Bob

Mercunimog404

Banned
I think the 5 ton is too big for me, especially because I am a noob. I also really enjoy a manual transmission. I think I am starting to lean towards a Mog. I have seen videos of Mogs doing well on hills offroad, are you talking about a big hill on the road? Is the Mog way more superior offroad or is it similar to a deuce? I do not need ten wheels, or a big hauler. I really want these just for the fun and hobby. It also seems like insurance wise, over time, the Mog will earn its price over a deuce. This is making me excited to get into the hobby haha.
Any Unimog is superior to pretty much anything In our inventory. As far as being over engineered. That means it is so well designed that it's not going to fail often. The only major thing I have done to mine is replaced a bearing in the portal box. And that was my fault. I was driving the truck through a river and some water seeped in. I never checked the oil in the box so it sat in there for 6 months. Needless to say the bearing rusted. It was noisy driving it, but it was drive able. And that's in 7 years of owning it. An m35 or 5 ton will never follow a Unimog.

Mercunimog404

Banned
Also, some people say the Unimog is over engineered and more difficult to work on than the Deuce. I do like the simplicity of the Deuce, but is the Unimog truly that much more difficult to work on?
The 404 is the only mog where it is difficult to replace a clutch. The book says you need to remove the cab. But I've seen threads where people remove the engine by pulling it through the cab. The rest of the Mogs are easy to do a clutch change.

99TCSig

What about drivability? I have read the Unimog is more cramped and does not shift well. I am 6'4''... would the Unimog be miserable for someone of my height? Thanks everyone for the help, btw.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks