• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Unimog 404 or Deuce?

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Changing a clutch, engine, or transmission in any of the Unimogs up until the transmission was divorced from the engine, and the cabs made to tilt, will be challenging. That's why it's worth getting a good truck to start with.

The design of the whole Unimog series is definitely unique. Over-engineered? Perhaps. It was done for a purpose: a highly flexible frame, every major component mounted '3 point' so it does not hinder flex, coil springs allowing high wheel/axle droop and compression, all done in the name of superior offroad performance. Flex is what it's all about. I'll attach a picture when I find it.

What other vehicle has every major component tied to the transmission with only 3 points of attachment to the frame? The axles are supported by rigid torque tubes to ball/sockets on the transmission. Definitely unique, and definitely purposeful.

Back to 404 specifically, yes, changing a clutch is a lot of work but the cab can stay on. By removing the stuff in front of the engine, the engine can be suspended from a hoist and moved forward to the grill. That leaves enough room to change out the clutch, and there are removable floor plates to provide access. I have done this several times.

Changing a 404 transmission is major surgery. Because the transmission is the center of the universe for the 404, the axles have to disconnect, the engine disconnected, and the bed off. Heck of a lot of work!!! Again, get a good 404 to start with.

Bob

99TCSig

Wow, I did not realize it was that major to do a transmission. It sounds like you really got to take the truck apart for that job. I would have to buy a crane and get that heavy lifting type equipment. I only have basic tools right now. Thanks for the help.

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is why a Unimog is over-engineered: performance in tough terrain. This is my radio comm 404 on the Golden Crack in Moab, UT. Never had to touch the clutch. Tires never slipped. This is considered a major obstacle to most vehicles. Note the gouge marks in the rock, and tire skid marks.

The comm box weighs about a ton.

Attachments

Mercunimog404

Banned
Also over engineering. A 404s axle shaft is maybe a millimeter smaller than an m35 shaft. A 404 is. 1.5 ton. The axle shaft on the 404 sees maybe 1/4 of the stress an m35 shaft does because of the portal box.

99TCSig

That is an awesome picture!! And that is also why I have always wanted a Unimog. I think the Unimog owner's are convincing me away from the deuce!

eaw46

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have both and they are totally different trucks. The Mog is light and nimble and will go just about anywhere but slow. The Deuce is much heavier duty for hauling and pulling. A good Mog will cost almost twice what a good Deuce will cost 10 to 12 K for the Mog and 5 to 6 K for the Deuce. The Deuce will do more work and is a little cheaper for parts and Maint but the Mog gets over twice the mileage per gallon than the Deuce. Both are great trucks and have advantages and disadvantages it just depends on what you want to do with your truck the most and what you like more. This advice is worth just what you paid for it. Eddy

saddamsnightmare

February 24th, 2014.

Permit me to weigh in in a small way gentlemen. I have owned both an M3A2 and a S404.114, and will I loved the deuce and miss it often, the S404.114 for its size and weight was and is a more capable, competent truck. I h ave had to replace the throwout bearing because of a very incompetent mechanic, and he got me for $1400.00 in labor because he was neither intelligent enough to listen to my advice, and he was just an everyday twerp who loves soaking foreign vehicle owners here in Springfield. And there are enough rich ones who do not know how to work on their vehicles, so he soaks them worse.

The three point suspension and torque tubes for power transmission are not all that odd, the Model T and A Fords used the same set up on their rear axles, and they worked pretty well. The S404.114 should not run you as much as $8 K to 10 K to buy unless it is an exceptionally clean low mileage or overhauled truck, and again, S404.114's and M35A2s are apples and oranges different. An M35A2 can eat you alive pretty fast if you have neither the shop nor the skills to do the overhauls and heavy repairs required.

I might suggest a new guy get a good low mileage well maintained S404.114 or 115 Unimog, or, if you have a little more cash, a similar S406/408 diesel with ultra high speed axles for running on the road. You will not be cheated if you take care of your truck and drive sanely, because once you have operated a Unimog off road, you won't go back to American pickups or pseudo FWD's....... Look over the YouTube videos on these models and the U1300L, you will be convinced that they are like no other military truck in the world.

Good luck, happy hunting!

99TCSig

Yes I have watched an extensive amount of youtube on these Unimogs and I think they have me convinced! I don't need something as large as a deuce, so a Unimog seems more within what I want. I don't have a ton of money, but I can afford the cheaper Unimog, so I will go with the 404. I have started looking in my area to buy one, but it may be anywheres from a few weeks to a few months, depending on where I get my orders. If I get on the east coast, I am gonna get one in a few weeks (I hope). Just got to clear it with the lady haha

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think the 5 ton is too big for me, especially because I am a noob. I also really enjoy a manual transmission. I think I am starting to lean towards a Mog. I have seen videos of Mogs doing well on hills offroad, are you talking about a big hill on the road? Is the Mog way more superior offroad or is it similar to a deuce? I do not need ten wheels, or a big hauler. I really want these just for the fun and hobby. It also seems like insurance wise, over time, the Mog will earn its price over a deuce. This is making me excited to get into the hobby haha.
Welcome to the club, no matter which truck you decide on. You have to be without a doubt one of the smartest new people on SS as you said you think the 5 ton is too big for you especially because you are new. So many guys see an MV go down the road and want one and then get on SS or GL and buy a 939 all the while being clueless.

I commend you and wish you well on your "new" Mog. ;-)

99TCSig

Thank you, I appreciate that! This website is absolutely awesome. I just need to convince my fiance, but I think I have her convinced. It seems like such a fun hobby and I am really looking forward to the excitement of owning a MV. As far as insurance goes, I have USAA for my car. Is that a good company to go through for this type of vehicle or is there a better one out there? Thanks.

armytruck63

Your fiance will probably appreciate the smoother ride on the passenger side of the Mog. My wife is still mad at me for getting rid of my Pinzgauer and getting an M923.

99TCSig

Yea I saw that. It looks awesome, but 12k is a little high for me. Also, I am in CT so I would have to pay for the transportation. I am looking for one in the NE area, or just on the east coast with a few hours. I found a place, Vermont-Unimogs, so I will see with that.

99TCSig

I talked to a guy in VT. He has two, both are 404s and one is for 10k and and the other for 8500. Both have had their trannys cleaned and taken apart and both have gotten new clutches and the Pertronix ignition upgrade. The one for 10k is in better condition than the one for 8500. He is sending me pictures so I will see. I may go up and drive them depending on what I think. The cab of the 10k one is still off because he had done so much work on it. If I become more interested, I will ask about all that was done on it and then let y'all know so I can see what you think. Of course, me buying it depends a lot on my orders I receive next Thursday. Thanks for the help guys.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks