• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Unimog SEE FLU-419 Winch question

UNIMOG-GUY

Yes it is for the Mercedes Benz Unimog SEE FLU-419. While I am not an expert this is the only example that I've seen of a winch on the front of a 419 (that looks stock). I don't actually own one but I was trying to get an answer for a friend of mine.

Another Ahab

Sorry. Can't help you there.

Not a Unimog answer-man; I just like them is all. But somebody'll know.

Is that rig of yours parked on a wooden deck? Little unusual. You got a plank driveway?

UNIMOG-GUY

No the Unimog pictured isn't mine or my friends so I don't know what it is parked on. It was a picture I found online and he wants a winch like the one pictured for the front of his SEE FLU-419.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It looks like a factory add on - as in Mercedes not Freightliner.
I remember in the UK, friends who had 404's used to call it a rubbish bin (UK) winch - 'cause it looked the same size as a 'trash can' (US) mounted on the front bumper.
Not a huge capacity - I think the cable is in the order of 9mm...... But I'd stand corrected from the more informed.

UNIMOG-GUY

These people should be able to answer your questions;
http://www.unimogs.co.uk/gallery/gallery4.asp?category=10&start=1

I wish they did... Here is my correspondence with them:

Simon,

I am wondering if you could tell me what manufacturer/model winch is in the picture on the front of the SEE FLU-419? Do you have any for sale? If not do you know where I could source one?

Thank you in advance,

Chris

Chris,

I’m not sure who made the winch – it isn’t a type which we’re familiar with I’m afraid.

We have nothing similar currently available.

Kind Regards
Simon

+44 (0) 15242 62922
Wenning Mill | Wenning Ave | High Bentham | Lancaster | LA2 7LW | United Kingdom
www.unimogs.co.uk
www.tpwoodchippers.co.uk
www.agricultural-tyres.com

Registered in England | Company Number: 2873238

Another Ahab

That's a drag, hitting a total dead-end like that.

Have you tried Mercedes directly? Maybe they have a "tech questions" department that at least might steer you in a likely direction.

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That winch does not look stock to me. The mount for the winch, how it connects and bolts to the work plate/accessory horns, does look Unimog-ish. But looking closely the winch is connected to the mount by smallish bolts in tension (not even in shear, straight tension), definitely not the MB Unimog way. No serious manufacturer mounts winches that way. I think this is a fabrication, one of a kind probably.

peakbagger

That photo pops up on this thread on another forum on FLU 419 implements https://www.benzworld.org/threads/never-say-never-with-unimog-implement-mount.2465177/

My guess is its one off mount for the military. Some one with the right fab gear can make up the plate that mounts to the military specific mount and go from there. The adaptor plate looks like a factory cut (smooth ) so it may be from a loader but looking at the rest of the fabrication I see some torch cut pieces. On occasion I see military surplus hydraulic winches of various sizes so expect someone with fab experience could just make one and paint it green,.

That snowplow on the other thread is what I would love to run into ;)

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great update! The picture from the older thread, and from this thread, are of the same truck, same winch so could still be one of a kind. The new photo does show a much more robust lower mount for the winch assembly than I thought. There are two heavier bolts on each side, in shear (not tension), and in line with the pull of the cable.

That's a nicely modified SEE, to non-SEE status.

1967corvette

That winch does not look stock to me. The mount for the winch, how it connects and bolts to the work plate/accessory horns, does look Unimog-ish. But looking closely the winch is connected to the mount by smallish bolts in tension (not even in shear, straight tension), definitely not the MB Unimog way. No serious manufacturer mounts winches that way. I think this is a fabrication, one of a kind probably.
Not a fabrication

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks