• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

404 Cylinder head help needed

UNIMOG-GUY

So my engine wasn't running very well so I decided to pull a couple of spark plugs to check them and make sure they weren't fouled out. Once I got the plugs out I noticed that they had antifreeze on them. So I figure that either the head has a crack/hole in it or there is a problem with the head gasket. It's a 1963 so I figure I'd have to do some work to it.

So I have pulled off and removed every bolt that I can see that could possibly be holding the head to the block. Is there some hidden bolt somewhere that I need to remove? I got the 2 allen head bolts near the distributor. I am extremely frustrated and any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have attached some pictures which will hopefully help you identify what else I need to remove.

Thank you in advance.

Attachments

Last edited:

saddamsnightmare

February 28th, 2014.

Unimog Guy:

I'm hoping that one of the longer toothed Unimog S404.114 owners weighs in here to help you out. All I can say is likely that head has been on there 50+ years and it may not budge as fast as you'd like. Drop a note to the MB engineers at the Unimog plant in Germany, they my have some tips to help you out, if they even remember what an M180 looks like. They also used in in the MB 220 "Ponton" sedan, so any M-B shop might be able to give you some tips if they have some really old mechanics still working there.
As the saying goes "It's just not rocket science!" " Heck no, it's Industrial Archaeology!"

Patience and gently soak the area around the head gasket with automatic transmission fluid (if you have already drained the block of anti-freeze and oil, as it will hunt and follow the smallest cracks. That is what I use to break loose stuck pistons and engines, it works better then almost anything else. Good Luck!

UNIMOG-GUY

UPDATE:

Scott from expedition imports responded to the same thread on another forum and advised me: "Did you pull the cylinder head bolts INSIDE the chain tensioner galley? You may have to move the tensioner arm to get at one of them. There should be a total of 4 "small" bolts at the front of the head". I only removed one from this area which would explain why it hasn't come off.

Thank you Scott.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks