• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What EGT Gauge to use?

Br0nc0xrapt0r

Yep, that's also why I add links, prices, and part numbers to all my threads so others can learn from my research "or mistakes" when they want to do the same mod.

metal worker

Had to check my records. Those are the same part numbers I used. For the EGT I used SYL-1813-24 for the digital readout and TC-KEGT for the probe. I got the longer probe and used a weld in fitting downstream of the turbo as close to the turbo as I could get it. For the boost I used the same SYL-1813-24 with the 303 boost sensor. Unless you got some sort of package deal, the price you listed is a little low. Did you order one readout and two probes? The readouts allow you to hook a variety of probes/sensors to them but you can only have one of them hooked up at a time. There is no way to "toggle" between the probes so if you want to see EGT and boost at the same time you will have to have two readouts and two probes.
A nice feature about the Auber's is that they have a trigger function. If you want to use a water injection system you can set the readout to trigger at a certain boost or temp to activate the system.
BTW - I have four of these. I use red led's for my EGT and oil pressure. Blue for water temp. and green for boost. They really show up nicely at night.

Br0nc0xrapt0r

Had to check my records. Those are the same part numbers I used. For the EGT I used SYL-1813-24 for the digital readout and TC-KEGT for the probe. I got the longer probe and used a weld in fitting downstream of the turbo as close to the turbo as I could get it. For the boost I used the same SYL-1813-24 with the 303 boost sensor. Unless you got some sort of package deal, the price you listed is a little low. Did you order one readout and two probes? The readouts allow you to hook a variety of probes/sensors to them but you can only have one of them hooked up at a time. There is no way to "toggle" between the probes so if you want to see EGT and boost at the same time you will have to have two readouts and two probes.
A nice feature about the Auber's is that they have a trigger function. If you want to use a water injection system you can set the readout to trigger at a certain boost or temp to activate the system.
BTW - I have four of these. I use red led's for my EGT and oil pressure. Blue for water temp. and green for boost. They really show up nicely at night.
You nailed it, that readout can only read one probe at a time. Auber wrote me that and suggested this readout for both probes. http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5_21&products_id=357

It is a bit more expensive but if you want dual readout it's still not a bad price. In the end Boost really isn't that important to me so just knowing the EGT's would be enough since the goal here is to avoid engine damage while I turn up my Fuel. As for sensor location I think having a weld in bung past the turbo isn't bad but I'd rather drill and tap the Manifold with a 1/8th NTP fitting. I'd just rather know what's going in than coming out since it can vary by a couple hundred degrees in some instances.

Br0nc0xrapt0r

Ok so for the gauge I have the boost/egt unit Part number SYL-1813-24 and the EGT probe TC-KEGT and boost sensor AUBER-303 the total is $137.76 not too shabby.
Just to be clear these part numbers I listed will work for Boost OR EGT but not at the same time as the readout will only monitor one probe. So the readout with green LED and the 1/8th NPT EGT probe is $97.50. This price is consistent with what I saw in other threads porting about the unit and is offered as a bundled set in this link: http://www.auberins.com/index.php?m...ducts_id=231:1fdf0ed7cc198e06923460320c7a8fa0

metal worker

Yep. That's it. I paid 195.00 for the 2 readouts and 2 sensors (EGT and Boost)
A lot of talk on here about probe location. I just went downstream because I didn't want to take a chance on getting any metal shavings in the turbo. Plus a buddy of mine put his after the turbo and runs his temps up to 1000-1100 with no problems.

Br0nc0xrapt0r

A tip about the shavings, start drilling the hole and when you are about to break through start the truck and the exhaust gasses will blow through the hole and remove any shavings.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A tip about the shavings, start drilling the hole and when you are about to break through start the truck and the exhaust gasses will blow through the hole and remove any shavings.
That is exactly what I did. I started with a 1/8" bit and started the truck just before it broke through, and used the proper size bit. The pilot hole made the larger bit go through like a hot knife through butter.

Another tip for you...When you tap the holes, dip the tap in some grease. It will lube the tap and trap the cuttings at the same time.

Br0nc0xrapt0r

I use crc cutting oil on taps and drill bits, it foams and sticks to the bits real well. I like it for heavy duty jobs like when I bore out steering knuckles for hiem joints. True grease will hold the shavings better but I just like cutting oil.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I understand what you are saying, the CRC stuff is superior for almost all cutting/tapping jobs. But the cast manifolds are so soft, there is likely zero chance of damaging the tap, to each his own though.

Br0nc0xrapt0r

Soft you say? That's good, perhaps they are less likely to crack then. After careful thought I am still going to use that kit fro Auberins but I will buy a cheap anolog boost gauge just because.

jbayer

Soft you say? That's good, perhaps they are less likely to crack then. After careful thought I am still going to use that kit fro Auberins but I will buy a cheap anolog boost gauge just because.
That's what I did. Sunpro, like $17 online. Light socket is the same as the instrument lights, so just popped in a 24V bulb, and tied in to same.

Hawssie

What I like best about the Auber gauges is the warning features. I have a bunch of gauges in my F250 all Autometer but only 1 or 2 has the warning light feature and when it lights up you really notice it. With the driving requirements of these trucks It really helps when you don't have to concentrate on the gauge to know whats up but let the gauge tell you when you hit your peak temperature or boost.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks