• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Alaska : looking meet other members.

RangerBob

Making another long north-south run through the interior if anyone wants to have a BS competition. Tomorrow night, Tok. Friday, working in Chicken. Saturday, Somewhere between Paxson and Delta Junction. Weekend in Squarebanks. Monday or Tuesday will be the big run to Toolik Field Station on the north slope, then Coldfoot on the way back. After that, a leisurely drive down the Parks Highway with short stops at Nenana, Denali Park visitor center area, and Trapper Creek. Should be back in the big city by the end of the week or over the weekend.

Last edited:

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Range Bob

I'll be in Fairbanks, Saturday, here on the days before that. Like a lot of us, you seem to have a fluid schedule. As for the coffee.... Fix a Kit to make your own - its dependable that way. Send a PM, We may be able to co-ordinate something.DSCN0005.jpgJust went to Anchorage, & picked up a container. Good trip!

RangerBob

I'll probably be staying at the Alaska 7 motel on Friday night. I hope to head for Squarebanks on Saturday, but depends on how work goes. We might pass each other enroute. Watch for a silver Tacoma with bug-eye off-road lights and govt plates. Is that a stripped-down laundry trailer (M1061) you are pulling?

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No, an M989 Ammo Trailer. I manage to snag this one here from FT. Wainwright. A laundry trailer might do the job too, but have not seen one come up in the State. The 989 pulled good and after some adjustments to the axles (alignment)DSCN0002.jpgDSCN0003.jpg, it pulls straight now. It was rebuilt 5 years ago, and I don't think it saw service since. Everything is new on it. I did put the dock bumper on it.

If you stay here in town Friday night, maybe we can get together. PM sent.

RangerBob

Friday night the 'Jitter Junction' was actually open, and the owner of the Alaska 7 Motel halfway remembered me.

Went to the IGA on Saturday morning for coffee. They have a surprisingly good espresso bar and pastry counter, and the Jitter Junction never seems to be open in the morning. The man in the parking lot was angular and long-legged. His skin a sun-dyed tan. The cup in his hand gray steel and his truck mother-of-pearl, its paint unmarred. Nice to meet you, rosco. I look forward to our next meetup.

Last edited:

Another Ahab

Friday night the 'Jitter Junction' was actually open, and the owner of the Alaska 7 Motel halfway remembered me.

Went to the IGA on Saturday morning for coffee. They have a surprisingly good espresso bar and pastry counter, and the Jitter Junction never seems to be open in the morning. The man in the parking lot was angular and long-legged. His skin a sun-dyed tan. The cup in his hand gray steel and his truck mother-of-pearl, its paint unmarred. Nice to meet you, rosco. I look forward to our next meetup.
RangerBob, you are a writer; bar none. This post reads like a Hemingway short-story. Leads me to want the next chapter:

- The Man in the Parking Lot, a story of Green Iron and intrigue out on the Last Frontier; by critically-acclaimed RangerBob.

Last edited:

RangerBob

Wish I could take credit, but I stole it and reworked it a bit...

The Six Shooter
The man in the saddle is angular and long-legged. His skin is sun-dyed brown. The gun in his holster is gray steel and rainbow mother-of-pearl, its handle unmarked. People call them both 'the Six Shooter'.

One of the greatest old time radio programs starring a USAAF/USAF bomber pilot named Jimmy Stewart. I think he did some acting as well. :wink:

Thanks! Its going to stay pretty much the way it is with a few hidden improvements.

The engine is stuck, the radiator is missing, the brakes do not work and it needs glass all the way around.

but all 10 tires are in excellent shape the frame has not been butchered and it has zero rust all the gauges are there

I had originally planned to replace the 270 with a 302 but that changed when I picked up 3.3 ISB Cummins It has about 135 hp and 300ft/lbs so a fair bit more then the 270 and should be better on fuel.

It will require a switch to 12 volts and a rewire of the entire truck but should make it alot more usable and fun to drive.

Another Ahab

Thanks! Its going to stay pretty much the way it is with a few hidden improvements.

The engine is stuck, the radiator is missing, the brakes do not work and it needs glass all the way around.

but all 10 tires are in excellent shape the frame has not been butchered and it has zero rust all the gauges are there.
I like your attitude yellowk20. You sure don't let anything phase you at all. That's great.

Essentially, you're saying that it's totally dead. But, "not a problem"; and that you know you can bring it back to life. Can't wait to see that happen.

Go, Brother. [thumbzup]

Thanks, I know its not a true restoration but I plan on using it.

The Old man I got it from used it for about 30+ years to build log cabins it has a set of 25Ft "ginpoles"

I will be using it around my place to pick heavy items and I'm in the search for a 40's era Lincoln welder to mount on the bed ( it already has a setup for torch bottles ) Basically I'm not going for a military restoration I'm gearing more of a restoration of what it was AFTER its military career , but with some hidden modern touches to make it more usable.

Another Ahab

I will be using it around my place to pick heavy items and I'm in the search for a 40's era Lincoln welder to mount on the bed ( it already has a setup for torch bottles ) Basically I'm not going for a military restoration I'm gearing more of a restoration of what it was AFTER its military career , but with some hidden modern touches to make it more usable.
Not that it matters totally, because that IS just a fine looking old rig:

- But are you sure that thing has a military background?

I don't know the historic MV line-up that well I admit, but I don't recall seeing that style cab on anything back to WWII. Do you know that it did service?

Closed cab CCKW's are a little more rare from what I have found, being that there shipping height was taller because of the full cab . if I had to guess Id say this truck most likely never seen any combat but there is a good chance it helped build the Alcan Highway or transported goods on it .

Another Ahab

Closed cab CCKW's are a little more rare from what I have found, being that there shipping height was taller because of the full cab . if I had to guess Id say this truck most likely never seen any combat but there is a good chance it helped build the Alcan Highway or transported goods on it .
Oh yeah, I didn't mean combat. I'm just not familiar with the rig is all. Please keep us all posted of the re-build. It's a "beaut"!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks