• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just won my first MV! A 1990 M923A2 from Fort Hood. -Have a few general questions.

2nDefense

57708514_gl_large_thumb.jpg

Haven't driven one since the guard in late 90's - early 02 and never purchased one so I have a few questions! Didn't expect to win or I would have been better prepared and started researching earlier.

My first question: I have previously bought items that required an EUC that was clearly listed.
I do not see an EUC required on this listing. Is that normal or an oversight on their part? Should I expect one to pop up when I pay the invoice on Monday?

Second Question:
The auction states it runs but requires a jump start. Is it possible to add fluid, and maybe jump it and it may recharge fully, or should I assume they are gone and take batteries with me?

Alternative - I live 3 hrs away. Should I jump and not worry about it till I get home and see what it does?
Alternative - Anyone have suggestions for batteries purchased from Interstate Batteries? - They are close by and I have a business account with them.

Third Question:
The vehicle has an oil filter that is marked 2011. Can I assume the oil is good enough to drive home if level/clear enough?

Fourth and Final: For now :)

The passenger tire is clearly blown out or it was low and they carelessly moved it that way.
It appears to have a nice spare. -super single and heavy

Can anyone detail the specific parts I will need?

Wrench size. -length
Lug Size.
Any specific 'just in case' tools to take with me like to cap the CTIS or anything else?
Any fuel additive for older fuel?
Anything else I might have missed.

Side note:
Any members in the Houston - Conroe - The Woodlands - Bryan - College Station areas that want to ride along are welcome.

Looking forward to being an active part of the community!

Last edited:

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
1. No EUC on these trucks. You'll get an invoice probably Monday-Tuesday.
2. Assume no fluids are present, batteries are dead if not missing - unknown. The 6TML style batteries require a deep cycle charger and a lot of time to revive if they even come back. Purchase any two top post style commercial batteries with at least 750CCA and that should do you fine.
3. Never assume unless it's for the worse. If you want to drive it bring ALL fluids and return what you don't use later. Expect low antifreeze, no fuel, and dead batteries at the minimum. My luck with other fluids have been good but YMMV.
4. Minimum: geared lug wrench, 10 ton jack, jack stands, usual tools, elbow grease, soldier B, and luck.

Do bring:
-2 batteries
-either
-diesel fuel booster/cleaner
-tools
-glad hand to air chuck hose to air up tires manually - dont rely on the CTIS.
-insurance
-tow truck service number

With as many bad tires as you have on that truck I highly suggest hiring a wrecker service to get it off site and work from there. I suggest you start reading the TM's about a week ago to get up to speed to know what you're in for on this one. With your spare (assuming it's good) is already going to be used for the front tire so any other tire issues or problems may leave you stranded. Be safe, drive safe, sacrifice a goat to ward off murphy, and take pics! Sorry for the messy write up, im heading out the door. Maybe someone else will chime in about CTIS specifics.

2nDefense

@mkcoen
Thank you for the quick reply!

@fuzzytoaster
Thank you for the detailed response.

1. Good to know, thanks!
2. I'll pick up two batteries ahead of time and jump if it has them already. If they don't charge on the way home I'll have them ready to switch.
3. Water for antifreeze since I'll be immediately flushing. I'll bring a can of diesel and either booster or cleaner. I'll use the TM for oil type and other fluids.
4. I will look for a wrench and 10 ton jack and stands at harbor freight today.
4b. I'll have 'soldier b' ready to go on my iphone for the ride home.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Wt9hUiKGwfQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Will get the insurance monday and take a tow service # with me just in case.
Glad Hand - any idea where I should look for that locally?
Do you know the size of the lugs are?

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad hand with air chuck available at any truck stop store.

Charge the batteries before trying to start the truck. A truck alternator won't charge 4 dead batteries without releasing the magic smoke. (Done it twice now...)

Looking at your truck it might be a good idea to have it hauled home first and then go through it.

2nDefense

@ mkcoen

Thank you for the quick reply! Good to know.

@ fuzzytoaster

Thanks for the details. I'll take a batteries just in case as well as all of the fluids.

Would water be ok with our current temperatures? Planning to flush when I get it home anyway.

Any idea on the lug size?

@ swbradley1

Thank you on the Glad Hand and charge warning. -I'll be sure to follow that.

On the tires, the driver side is all inflated and looks almost new for tread - not sure about cracking though.
The rear passenger is fully inflated and the spare looks unused.
The mid passenger is flat and the front is gone.

I am going to check to see if I can inflate mid passenger and change front. Other than that, truck is reported to operate.

Any idea where I can find tires this size just incase?

Piper Cub

From the picture it looks like you have at least 2 bad tires. The rear one may air back up, but it probably has cracks in the sidewall from sitting flat for so long. Even if it looks ok from the outside, I think it would be safer to have it hauled home since you'd already have the your spare on the front.

2nDefense

2. Assume no fluids are present, batteries are dead if not missing - unknown.
3.Expect low antifreeze, no fuel, and dead batteries at the minimum.
4. Minimum: geared lug wrench, 10 ton jack, jack stands, usual tools, elbow grease, soldier B, and luck.

Do bring:
-2 batteries
-either
-diesel fuel booster/cleaner
-tools
-glad hand to air chuck hose to air up tires manually - dont rely on the CTIS.
-insurance
-tow truck service number

start reading the TM's about a week ago to get up to speed to know what you're in for on this one.
Thank you for your rely! I've left a couple myself but they don't appear to be posting.

Looks like a 3/4 set for the tires. - I will pick that up with a jack and stands at harbor freight and take someone with me along with the fluids and batteries.

Do you know if in Texas a class B is a must? - A lot of different info out there.

2nDefense

Glad hand with air chuck available at any truck stop store.

Charge the batteries before trying to start the truck. A truck alternator won't charge 4 dead batteries without releasing the magic smoke. (Done it twice now...)

Looking at your truck it might be a good idea to have it hauled home first and then go through it.
Thank you for the info on the air chuck. - I will pick one up.
The batteries will be fun. I will figure out something for charging them so I don't hurt the alternator. - Really appreciate that notice.

2nDefense

From the picture it looks like you have at least 2 bad tires. The rear one may air back up, but it probably has cracks in the sidewall from sitting flat for so long. Even if it looks ok from the outside, I think it would be safer to have it hauled home since you'd already have the your spare on the front.
You are definitely right, however, that would not be nearly as fun!

All tires on driver side are inflated and appear new tread. - Assuming usual cracks. Spare looks unused.

Mid passenger tire is flat. hoping it will air up. - If not, I will tow.

I should be able to swap the spare for the front and bring it on home. -It's really not that far and worse case, I believe I may save a few miles on the tow :)

Best case, I get an adventure that I'm paying for either way! -I'll drive slow. It's all back roads and I'm in no hurry.

Anyone know where I can get a couple tires?

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't try to charge the battery's with the truck gen, I did and the gen is smoked.

I would say I'm glad it wasn't only me but it is such a pain in the butt and I've done it twice now.......sorry for your luck.

To the OP, although it would be as fun you may want to give a little bit more thought to safety trying to drive a truck home. Have an accident and I'm guessing one of the first things a smart insurance attorney would do is subpoena the threads from this site. Maybe I'm the only one that ever things of that though. Good luck.

2nDefense

I would say I'm glad it wasn't only me but it is such a pain in the butt and I've done it twice now.......sorry for your luck.

To the OP, although it would be as fun you may want to give a little bit more thought to safety trying to drive a truck home. Have an accident and I'm guessing one of the first things a smart insurance attorney would do is subpoena the threads from this site. Maybe I'm the only one that ever things of that though. Good luck.
Yes that is a good point. I intend to stay over night insuring everything is up and running and that I have time to charge the batteries. Aside from the middle tire condition being unknown everything appears to be covered and will be inspected before moving. I am used the having to air up 2-3 tires in the guard to move them. That tire will determine how the truck comes home. I am also a commercial rated ME pilot, and can assure you and everyone else that the vehicle will be fully inspected prior to a transport decision. - I would simply prefer to move it myself if it appears capable of safely doing so.

From the other pictures and video I have seen, it appears to have been in really good shape before the front tire went out. I bid on it because I assumed correctly that the first picture (tire blown out) would make other people pass by it and not realize it runs. - It worked. It was sold for scrap price along with all the other non running trucks but listed in F condition. 2 similar trucks with normal tires sold for 3x as much!

Pretty good deal I think

Last edited:

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you for your rely! I've left a couple myself but they don't appear to be posting.

Looks like a 3/4 set for the tires. - I will pick that up with a jack and stands at harbor freight and take someone with me along with the fluids and batteries.

Do you know if in Texas a class B is a must? - A lot of different info out there.
Class B for the Air Brakes is a must legally speaking. We are rooting for ya!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks