• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Using a 24v Battery Charger via the outside slave cable port

joesco

I have done a search and know this has been done before, but can't find specifics. I just purchased a NOCO Genius 12v/24v Smart Battery Charger / Maintainer and would like to charge / maintain (24v) my four Hawkers (installed in 2010 by Uncle Sam) via the slave port on the passenger side. I know I will need to purchase a male plug and wire it to my charger cables. My question.... has anyone done this? How do I wire it to the male plug (two wire??) and what gauge wire would I need. Thanks very much!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In a NATO plug, the center hole is positive while the surrounding part is negative.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
A G26000 will work through the Nato plug, a standard 24V charger would work also. A gen 4 bank charger with a set of wires to each battery would be better.

Last edited:

joesco

One more question.... being budget conscious, I found this connector online for short money. Are all NATO Slave Receptacles the same? My truck is a M931. HUMVEE NATO Slave Receptacle J-6362/U 24V Connector

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Always confirm connections with a meter. I've seen the nato plug wired incorrectly on more than one truck!

steelandcanvas

One more question.... being budget conscious, I found this connector online for short money. Are all NATO Slave Receptacles the same? My truck is a M931. HUMVEE NATO Slave Receptacle J-6362/U 24V Connector
Yes, all NATO (North Atlantic Treaty Organization) Slave Connectors are the same. This is standardized to work with all our allies in NATO.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
That plug would work for dumb charging but not for slaving, low amp plug. Not all plugs are the same there are high and low amp plugs the J-6362/U 24V is low amp, if you hooked 2 of those up with cables and tried to slave a truck one end or the other would melt to the male plug.

Last edited:

joesco

Thanks, it will only be used for my new 24v charger / maintainer. Saw these slave plugs con the manufacturer's website for around $250.00, bought it new for $47.50!

joesco

See my pics below, installed today. The Humvee Nato (new $47.50) Slave Receptacle J-6362/U 24V came with a fused-in electrical power cord which would have plugged into a 24v charger. In about 5 minutes, I removed the screws on the back of the Receptacle, removed the power cord, and installed the my charger's cable (red to red, black to ground). I then plugged the new Receptacle into the side of the truck and using a multi-meter I tested the new charger's pigtail cable pins and it showed 24.8 volts coming off the batteries in the truck. So I knew my truck's Receptacle was wired and working correctly.

I plugged in my charger and set it to 24v Normal and it began conditioning and charging! Really neat, thanks for all the help on this guys!!!

New charger 3.jpgNew charger 1.jpgNew charger 2.jpg

Last edited:

Maverick1701

See my pics below, installed today. The Humvee Nato (new $47.50) Slave Receptacle J-6362/U 24V came with a fused-in electrical power cord which would have plugged into a 24v charger. In about 5 minutes, I removed the screws on the back of the Receptacle, removed the power cord, and installed the my charger's cable (red to red, black to ground). I then plugged the new Receptacle into the side of the truck and using a multi-meter I tested the new charger's pigtail cable pins and it showed 24.8 volts coming off the batteries in the truck. So I knew my truck's Receptacle was wired and working correctly.

I plugged in my charger and set it to 24v Normal and it began conditioning and charging! Really neat, thanks for all the help on this guys!!!
Thanks for posting this thread. I am also looking for battery charging/maintaining options for my Jeep. I may end up copying this idea...only with the correct slave plug for my Jeep.

Last edited:

datadawg

A G26000 will work through the Nato plug, a standard 24V charger would work also. A gen 4 bank charger with a set of wires to each battery would be better.
Why would the GEN4 be better? You have to wire up each battery (more hassle) and according to their website, it's recommended only for battery maintenance, not charging (See the charging chart at bottom of page: https://no.co/g4)

The G26000 seems to offer more power and have additional versatility for civvy use (jump starting a dead battery), and with a NATO plug can be just as easily used to charge the 5 ton batteries. What am I missing?

NEIOWA

Why would the GEN4 be better? You have to wire up each battery (more hassle) and according to their website, it's recommended only for battery maintenance, not charging (See the charging chart at bottom of page: https://no.co/g4)

The G26000 seems to offer more power and have additional versatility for civvy use (jump starting a dead battery), and with a NATO plug can be just as easily used to charge the 5 ton batteries. What am I missing?
Because you're testing/charging each battery individually based on it's condition.

Your option (plan B) is treating the battery bank as one big 24v battery which it is not. It is 4x 12v batteries interconnected. Can you correctly assume that all the batteries were identical in identical condition? Unlikely and they are $250ea Plan B works until it doesn't, at which time you won't know if plan A would have worked out better or not.

ericp351

Worked with many large battery system on ships to start stby diesel. Used one charger per battery bank. Not perfect, but worked well.

FloridaAKM

I charge my trucks by this method thru the slave port & have no problems with either the LMTV or the Deuces. Love the charger by the way, it is by far the best charger I own.

View attachment 483360View attachment 483362View attachment 483361

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks