• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Recovering a M1061 trailer?

Bulldogg

So I won a auction on GL its a M1061 trailer that I'm recovering on Tuesday. What are some things that I should bring with? I'm using my M923 5 ton to recover it from Camp Ripley. So jacked up about it thow :grd:

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
I can't think of anything special you'll need, just the basics. Bring some tape incase you need to secure the air lines, and if its got wheel chocks on the back I'd remove them or secure them very well. It uses the same lug wrench as your 5 ton. Good luck.

Attachments

Bulldogg

Yep thinking the same throw some tools in the truck and make sure the cell phone is charged. I only got 50 miles to go so fingers crossed!!

3dAngus

After you put the air to the brakes, you may have to rock it back and forth to get them to release. It was a problem with mine. Make sure your truck air lines are working before departure.
If you need to fix a flat, the stabilizer legs will lift it fine. The crank handles are located under the trailer mounted on the frame at each corner with four handles originally coming with the trailer. Hopefully you will have at least two left.

Bulldogg

Well I checked my truck over, made sure everything worked. Loaded the tools WD-40,1 inch socket set, four foot cheater bar, vice grips, crescent wrench, channel locks,duck tap,zip ties and a high jack just in case. Should be ready for the 100 mile trip to rcover my 106A1 trailer from Camp Ripley!! Will have road trip pics.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Take an infrared heat gun too if you have one. Great for monitoring hub temps, tire temps and the like. I recovered one last summer from across the state. Was an effortless recovery.

jw4x4

Take an infrared heat gun too if you have one. Great for monitoring hub temps, tire temps and the like. I recovered one last summer from across the state. Was an effortless recovery.
And an effortless ride behind my 932 back to Ohio. Enjoy your 1061. Thanks again, Kenny!!!!!
I bought an IR gun at Lowe's for $39. Great investment. Get one!!

Bulldogg

Well the recovery went well!! The only bad thing that happened was a guy was helping me hook up my air lines as I was on the other side hooking up. Well I walked around and checked the lights made sure they worked and asked him if I was good to go he said yep your good thanked him and took off. Well first stop signe out of camp Ripley I saw white smoke yep breaks were on?? Jumped out and he never turned on my air to the emergency brake!!!! Should have checked it again well opened it up and waited 20 min and tried it again all the way home no problems!! ( I'll have picks latter)

Ray70

Could you guys give me a little insight into the 1061 brake system, I will be going to Long Island to recover one next week.
I thought the air over hydraulic systems leave the brakes off when no air is supplied, like the M103 and older gen trailers?
I won't have air on my recovery vehicle, so is there anything I need to do to release or cage the brakes before I can move it?
Thanks for any help getting me prepared!

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Could you guys give me a little insight into the 1061 brake system, I will be going to Long Island to recover one next week.
I thought the air over hydraulic systems leave the brakes off when no air is supplied, like the M103 and older gen trailers?
I won't have air on my recovery vehicle, so is there anything I need to do to release or cage the brakes before I can move it?
Thanks for any help getting me prepared!
It has a bleed valve/petcock on the air tank if the brakes are locked if a valve is not working properly. Had to do that on a m105 I recovered. Same system as a m105/m103 but 2 axles.

Once the air is bled off if you had any, brakes are ok. No need to cage as there are no brake chambers just old school hydraulic drum brakes with brake shoes and wheel cylinders.

Last edited:

Scrounger

As already posted, as long as there isn’t any air in the air tank the brakes will be free.

On a different note. The M1061 is a heavy trailer for a pickup truck. If you should have to tow it in the rain be extra careful, it will push you when slowing or stopping.

I would also bring some tape to secure the unused air lines and power cord. The safety chains may be short, so plan
[FONT=&quot]accordingly[/FONT]. The landing gear on these trailers pivot up 90 °. Sometimes the landing gear doesn’t always lock in the up position. Ratchet straps or strong cord will hold them up. It is just a matter of cleaning and lubing the gear, easier to do when at the house.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Like already said, the brakes will not be a problem unless you charge the system with air via the emergency side. Just don't hook any air to it at all (on recovery). Sure, you have no trailer brakes but if you are using a mil truck for recovery, you should be fine.

Ray, the emergency line charges a tank on-board the trailer and if the emergency line is pulled free, the valve stops air from going out the line and instead puts it into a brake actuator. That is the "break-away" feature. If you don't charge the tank (via emergency line) or hook to the service brakes, there is no air to actuate them and they remain off.

Bulldog, your brake problem was likely from charging up the emergency side then disconnecting it.

One thing about lighter trucks...the 1061 likes to go straight. Take the corners easy and if you are using a pickup and have no brakes, slow down before the turns. Turning and braking with the pull truck is NOT recommended...it may jackknife.

Here is a little tidbit about the 1061. They made a version that has C channel on the outside and one (most) that has a smooth surface. The channel can have a pocket mounted to it for side stakes but the smooth side, the pockets have to be inset to stay under the 8'6" limit. I found one with channel as I want to install stake pockets.

Last edited:

Ray70

Excellent advise everyone, thank you. I usually go pretty well prepared to all recoveries so this should be fine.
I'll be bringing my normal set of tools, straps, tape, zip ties.... air tank, magnetic lights etc.
Will be towing with a friend's Ram 3500 Dually and plan to drive from RI to Long Island, pick it up then take the Ferry back to CT., to minimize the distance traveling with it in tow.
Thanks Guys!

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I pulled mine home with a K3500 Chevy, be fore warned it will want to keep going straight on a sharp turn even at 25MPH. Just remember to allow for it to push you whenever it is given the chance and you should be ok.2cents

Jericho

Its a great trailer , recoverd mine with an F250 dually , no problems esy 70 on the interstate, IT IS HEAVY, well made. I use it to haul a Gamma Goat pulled behind an M 931 A2 and an M109 A3. I dont hook the air brakes up hauling it empty behind my M 931 if you use the brakes they like to lock up on stops and it sldes in the sand , 931 hauls and stops it fine , very usable I can load my goat by jacking the trailer all the way up, chock the wheels and the four foot ramp extensions i added hit the ground an one can drive right on

Lukes_deuce

Excellent advise everyone, thank you. I usually go pretty well prepared to all recoveries so this should be fine.
I'll be bringing my normal set of tools, straps, tape, zip ties.... air tank, magnetic lights etc.
Will be towing with a friend's Ram 3500 Dually and plan to drive from RI to Long Island, pick it up then take the Ferry back to CT., to minimize the distance traveling with it in tow.
Thanks Guys!
I had one and towed it with my ram 2500. It would tow fine but it is heavy trailer with no brakes. Make sure your hitch is setup to have some tongue weight. If the trailer is level or has no tongue weight, it will sway and sway bad. Once its set up properly, it will tow fine. Mine had a tool box on the front and that made a big difference in how it towed.

Im on Long island if you need help in a pinch.

Ray70

Thanks for the info and offer. Tomorrow 6:00am, catching the ferry in New London. This trailer has 2 MEP-003A gens up front and some kind of cord reels out back. I'm expecting tongue weight and overall trailer weight to be pretty significant in the current config.
Bringing a couple different pintle hitches and risers with us, incase we need to adjust anything.... Truck is 24" at receiver and trailer is advertised at 32" high at the lunette ring.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks