• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Chopping the Top Lower. Windshield Chop Modification

m715mike

Okay, seriously... I have similar restrictions in my neighborhood. That's why my truck lives in an RV storage unit. I had it at the house for three days once while I was using it and the neighborhood started calling. I agree with the other posts. You will fix the height issue but they will come after you for something else.

sunshinelock

Thanks Lieutenant Dan. The most helpful answer yet. Everybody here seems to be a wiseguy. Like moving to a different county is soooo much easier than chopping the top down.

Yeah you'll get used to it.... a lot of purists here which I respect but I'm not the type to leave anything alone it's my truck and I want it my way like no one elses.

It does suck with the neighborhood deal.... I have a lot of yuppies on my street and one already tried taking me to the township about riding quads on my two acres. The township guy shut hin down real quick. My truck is registered inspected and insured so they can kma haha

Jeepsinker

Not to rain on your parade, but I'm not being a wiseguy. You are embarking on a losing battle here. You bobbed it, so it's ok length wise, now you have to chop the top to appease the powers that be, next thing will be someone complaining that the truck is an eyesore. Just look up some of the HOA threads. Besides,what's the deal with the height rule anyway? Airplanes fly that low in your county? ( yes that was a wiseguy remark)

RodUSMC1962

Not being a wise guy I have lived long enough to know that you can never satisfy the gestapo. What ever you do , it is never enough, they want control over your life, just read some of the posts here about what some of the members had to endure. At some point some people just want their freedom to do what they want with their own property, maybe you are not one of them.

SteelWarrior

Now I'm not trying to start anything here - I'm just feeling for the OP who has clearly thought about this quite a bit and posted looking for advice. Its so frustrating when people feed you all these (serious) alternatives like "Move" - without also offering a reasonable answer to his question. Believe me, I'm all about the humor in things but some posters were beating a dead horse with their suggestions. That being said - I loved the "Dig a couple trenches" suggestion - funny but true at the same time. My advice to the OP is to think about this as simply removing a few inches from the MIDDLE of the cab supports. A lot of folks have a hard time with wrapping their noggins around how to cut off the top then recreate what was there - when most times you can just cut off the top few inches, remove a few inches from what is left, and then re-attach the Top part which you cut off first. - Then have the glass shortened to fit. I know what you fab guys are thinking, "You can't do that because if the posts are at an angle you will be left with a smaller frame (cross-dimension, now 3'10" wide instead of 4'0") - This, of course, is true - I just wanted to point this out to the OP, With this thought in mind, I'm thinking the OP has the smarts to figure out how to modify the dimensions to compensate for this.

- All that being said - I'd be getting involved in your HOA or town govt to attempt to inject some sense (the very thought kinda makes me laugh and frown at the same time) If at all possible.

- Best of luck!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks