• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just bought my first Deuce!!

nchittendon

Yes. I'm going to keep it tan. The person that re-painted it did a very thorough job. Pulled the cab and bed and even painted the frame. It would be a lot of work to switch back correctly, so to make life easier it will stay tan. It kind of sets it apart in this sea of green anyways.

nchittendon

Ok, quick little update of the small things done to the deuce thus far. To this point, we were just getting to know each other. Checking all the fluids....A lot! Driving it around town like a moped. And just making sure everything was as sound as it appeared from the outside.

The first pic is her ugly rear end. When the truck was painted on 10/03 (according to the markings on the passenger door), they didn't re-paint the markings on the rear of the truck. It appears they just painted around it. Looked like poo. One of the other pics shows the progress on that.

I basically just wandered around the entire truck with a rattle can and wire brush touching up the bad spots. That's when I found the hole in the driver side fender. During my electrical fire repair, I had removed the driver side fender, so we cut the bad metal out, and just welded some good metal back in. Good as new!

When I got the truck it came with a jerrycan, and somewhere down the line it was painted red. I'm not sure if I ever intend on hauling anything in the can, but I had my 7yo wingman paint it to match the truck for me. He's getting pretty good with a rattle can. lol

I recently snagged a bridge plate and numbers. The truck came with the plate attached, but no numbers or keeper. The numbers I needed, the "0" and the "8" were painted OD green at some point, and hand painted numbers in black. I sanded them down, and shot them yellow again with stencil numbers in dark brown. Close enough to black for this purpose.

My wingman and I took it to a local mud bogs. We learned a lot that day. I learned that my boy looks pretty legit in his bomber goggles and hearing protection. I'm thinking I want to get some sort of internal comms for the cab that can also be used in the bed as well.

And, most recently, a buddy that has his own automotive youtube channel wanted to do a shoot with the truck. Just so happened the Blue Angels were in town so we tried to get some shots with them in there. Elusive little suckers, that's for sure!

next on the to-do list: Remote reservoir for brake fluid (already purchased). Horn repair. Troop seat refurbish with the wingman. Passenger mirror replacement due to it being quite faded (already purchased). Finish painting markings on rear. Snorkel kit. Windshield glass and weather stripping repair. And acquire rear cargo cover and hardware in tan.

1743504_10154031480360657_1352141225_n.jpg1920310_10154031481095657_805563434_n.jpg0604141346.jpg0604142019.jpgconnor deuce.jpgDSCN5631.jpgmurica minus pole.jpgCAM00028.jpg

nchittendon

Ok, I really hate owning a deuce.

Every thread I read, every picture I see of someone's project, I get my own ideas for things that I "need" to do. Now trying to figure out what to do first, and how to prioritize......that's the part I hate.

There are tons of things that I feel I need to do to the truck. But right now I want to focus on reliability and use-ability.
~ FDC bypass
~ remote reservoir for the brake master
~ fuel filter upgrade
~ air tank drain valves (stock ones are all messed up)
~ vent tubes for axles, transfer case, tranny, fuel tank, and airpack all going to the airbox.
~ snorkel kit
~ airbag the drive seat (instead of the spring)
~ cargo cover
~ upgrade windshield (glass and seals)
~ .....and so much more.

Eventually different rims/tires. Eventually full air ride seats for both driver and passenger. Add a 12volt system. Upgrade wipers. Add a winch.

.....so much more. I drive my truck daily hoping that the quirks will show themselves. At the same time, I fear having a break down.

Another Ahab

Wouldn't it be sweet to buy one:

- Out of the "box"

- All restored and updated (wheels, tires, brakes, filters, A/C, seats, lights, etc.)

- Ready to go

But of course then, it wouldn't be a Deuce would it?

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, I really hate owning a deuce.

Every thread I read, every picture I see of someone's project, I get my own ideas for things that I "need" to do. Now trying to figure out what to do first, and how to prioritize......that's the part I hate.

I drive my truck daily hoping that the quirks will show themselves. At the same time, I fear having a break down.
Oh, believe me, the quirks will show up! What's wrong with breaking down - that classifies as an adventure!
At least you are working on it and including your wingman! Not enough people doing that! [thumbzup]

nchittendon

Ok so thanks to Carnac I have some new information on my truck. I'm excited, and kind of sad at the same time.......

The truck came to me badged as follows:
971960_10154031479690657_93922836_n.jpg10001519_10154031479705657_1110562750_n.jpg

So, I immediately got to investigating the 34th Infantry Division. Based out of Rosemount, MN. This would make sense because the truck was purchased by the previous owner up near the Twin Cities in Minnesota.

However, Carnac's revelations gave me this information:

Organization: 194TH IN DET LRS AUG TDA
Nomenclature:TRUCK CARGO 2-1/2T Model:M35A2

So now I'm not sure. And I have researched and found that the 194th LRSD has been disbanded.

First question: Is it possible that when the 194th was done with the truck, it got transferred to Minnesota to serve with the 34th?

Second question: How would I go about properly printing ~194TH IN DET LRS AUG TDA~ on the truck's front and rear?

This just has me stumped currently. And a little discouraged. At least with the 34th, I could still find someone active to discuss it with. I'm not sure where to begin with the 194th.......

nchittendon

Hit Iola today! First time. Picked up some bows, corners, and uprights for my cargo cover I'll be getting later this week. So stoked!!!!!

Missed out on some other items I was after, but all in all, great day. Pics to come soon.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks