• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Just bought my first Deuce!!

nchittendon

1453269_10152129107307577_745582996_n.jpg1462917_10152129107267577_568468690_n.jpg1465187_10152129107687577_635705240_n.jpg1479359_10152129107327577_1629883159_n.jpg1470244_10152122223417577_1885308440_n.jpg

I'm in total overload right now, but this is what I remember......

~ clutch is less than a year old. Paperwork included.
~ truck is titled.
~ front tires are new, and a couple of rear ones are to.
~ truck was OD green, cab and bed were removed once and everything repainted tan (including frame).
~ tool rack (empty).
~ troop seats.
~ cold front.
~ modern wiper blades on stock arms.
~ spin on oil filters.
~ front manual locking hubs
~ after market muffler (HUGE improvement). Still sounds like the whistler, but you can carry a conversation in the cab.
~ soft top (in great shape).
~ new batteries.
~ jerry can (but it's red cause someone put gasoline in it)

Took it to a friend that used to wrench on them at the local army base, and he climbed around on it. Said the dog bolts were sound, everything looks to have been greased and maintained well. The only thing he found was front axle boots looked to be leaking. He said as long as I'm not submerging them, and keeping up on greasing it, it'll be fine for what little driving i'll be doing in the next year or so.

Drove it and the clutch feels good. Parking brake is good. Steering is good. Rolls down the road good for having the NDT's.

Did a quick walk-around and noticed the driver side blinker was out. Anyone have a bulb number off the top of their head? I know I can search it which I will be doing shortly.

Passenger door doesn't like to latch unless you abuse the naughty girl.

Troop seats need to be re-done. New planks and paint will be one of the first things to be done this summer.

Dura-liner in the box.....good Idea or bad idea?

I'm 300lbs. I think it may be time for a treadmill. I fit, but it's a snug one. lol

I hope to paint it again back to OD. However, I want to re-letter and do stars on the doors instead of the wings. Is there anything I should know about doing that?

You'll see in the pics that one of the rear wheels is green and not tan. Apparently, the wheel was put on backwards?? Perhaps painted wrong? The inside is tan, the outside is green. lol No biggie.

With my big ass on the fender, it was making some not-so-good crackly noises. Wasn't sure it would hold me. Any tips to strengthen these?

And heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee we go!

6x6TRex

I thought the wife wasn't going to let you buy it? :lol:

With my big ass on the fender, it was making some not-so-good crackly noises. Wasn't sure it would hold me. Any tips to strengthen these?
Look under the fender, ours had some braces underneath them. Or drive it here and I'll add some for you!

nchittendon

SANY1808.jpgSANY1809.jpgSANY1816.jpg

The truck was repainted at one point.
Question, do the number need to stay with the truck? And what do they mean exactly?

When I clean 'er up and do some painting, can I just get rid of these and re-stencil the same numbers/letters back on?

Another Ahab

View attachment 483642View attachment 483643View attachment 483644

The truck was repainted at one point.
Question, do the number need to stay with the truck? And what do they mean exactly?

When I clean 'er up and do some painting, can I just get rid of these and re-stencil the same numbers/letters back on?
What it comes down to is that:

- The rig is yours.

- Do what you want to do.

But some questions to ask yourself are do you want to restore the iron to what it actually once was (researching it's "personal" history)? Or to some "ideal" Deuce? Or even just plain clean it up and run it? Lots of roads to follow.

Others here know the significance of the stencils (unit ID, etc), and you can likely search some threads abut that also.

nchittendon

Thank you!
Been doing some research on it. Actually found the 34 ID facebook page and they have pointed me towards their motor pool for possible history.

As far as plan for the truck.......It's currently all "wrong." Someone put an Air Force logo on the doors, which contradicts her Army background (if the numbers are indeed correct). I plan to track down her history if possible, and tattoo her accordingly. It will then be cleaned up and ran.

The main purpose for the truck is a project for my 7 year old and I. I was looking at getting a hot rod to work on, but I considered a couple of different things.....if him and I are working on a classic car restoration (for conversation let's just say a 69 GTO) and he were to drop a wrench on the fender........the thought of eating my young would be a consideration. If we are working on the deuce and he drops a wrench, we pat the truck on her proverbial backside, and keep on working. In short, we can't really hurt her. He can learn so much more from this including history, off-roading, trucks, manual tranny, diesel engine, paint, welding......the list goes on and on. Learn it all with no fear of hurting it. On a GTO with a $10k paint job, and shiny chrome parts that you are afraid to scratch, it could be a lot more nerve racking for both of us.

Another Ahab

Hey chittendon, I see from your signature that you might do a little "squirrel hunting":

- any chance you know anybody from the Weapons Training Battalion at MCB Quantico?

- Capt. Trizila? SSgt Pickel? SSgt Hall? Cpl Sookdeo?

I've worked with them some in the past, and just a shot in the dark (so to speak). You know some of the team?

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome from 20 miles north on US Hwy 53. There is a thread you need to look at. I believe it was under "politics" and is related to the law that went into effect 21 days ago. I will try to find it later for you. It allows you to title as you normally would but you can buy historic military license plates for $30 (lifetime). Worth looking into before you go painting! Also gives you the right to park it in your property. More later. -Dan

nchittendon

I found the link about it. That's why I went ahead and made my move!

Welcome from 20 miles north on US Hwy 53. There is a thread you need to look at. I believe it was under "politics" and is related to the law that went into effect 21 days ago. I will try to find it later for you. It allows you to title as you normally would but you can buy historic military license plates for $30 (lifetime). Worth looking into before you go painting! Also gives you the right to park it in your property. More later. -Dan

m109a2

Me too,Friends family and strangers say Cool,Or what are you goging to do with that,Or you are crazy.But it does not matter what they say, There is a smilel

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks