• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Question about air assist power steering kits for m35... shelf life ???

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I have a customer's A3 here now with air assist and previously got to work on another friend's A2 with the air assist.

I have driven 2 different A2's with Tom's (Waterloo Specialties) kits.

I have been offroading with none of the 4 vehicles.

I have no "dog in this hunt" as I have no relationship with either the air assist companies or Waterloo Specialties.

I do hate to say this as I have friend's selling air assist kits, but Tom's power steering kit is worlds better.

First, and this is entirely subjective: The air assist looks more vulnerable to me in an off-road environment.

Second: The air assist is an "assist" and not full blown "power steering". Now, don't get me wrong, it's worlds better than the stock manual steering but if you're expecting the same level of "boost" that your Dodge Ram or Honda Civic has, you shouldn't.

Third: When air assists were cheaper, I might have gotten one but now that their prices have gone up so much, Tom's kit is a no-brainer.

Like welldigger said, you have to look at the prices of each kit and decide what's best for you. For me, I don't have the money for Tom's kit, but when I have $1500 or whatever an air-assist kit is selling for................. I'll wait and keep putting money in the piggy bank until I have enough for Toms kit.

As I said above, the air assist is world's better than stock and I don't hate it, I just don't love it as much as Tom's hydraulic kit. If I found a air kit for $500-750, I'd buy it and install it on my personal truck.

AceHigh

Excellent analysis! I bought in when the kits were being sold here on SS for $800. The biggest advantage then was price, but another advantage is we already have air, lots of it and it is easy to access.

At over double the price from what many of us paid, I would very seriously look into hydro, but I love the air over manual. And as far as I know, the hydro kits don't make the cool air escaping noise when turning. :)

Darwin T

from what i have read the air assist is better in the fact that if it goes out you are back to regular steering. if the hydraulic one goes out it is just like any other power steering that goes out. none of my 4 have either , however i am looking for an air assist to put on my M109a3.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A few people make some good points. It all comes down to cost. My air assist came off a old bus and was free for the taking so I can't complain.

I also have a few of the components for a hyd setup and once I get enough stuff gathered up I'll probably put it on my other deuce. I was actually looking for hyd components when I stumbled upon the air assist kit.

yolner

I picked up a used air assist kit for $500 a few months ago and now that I looked up the prices they're going for online I'm half tempted to sell it and spring for the Waterloo kit. It's crazy how the prices are rising on m35 parts lately.

JasonS

The question is are they actually selling for those crazy prices. I have noticed wild variations in prices on ebay. Water pumps range from $50 to $245 (yes, people are buying the expensive ones). One person is asking $129 for the screw in block heater; Amazon is $32. $8500 for a new multifuel.

welldigger

I picked up a used air assist kit for $500 a few months ago and now that I looked up the prices they're going for online I'm half tempted to sell it and spring for the Waterloo kit. It's crazy how the prices are rising on m35 parts lately.
I would install that. You got a screaming deal if it is fully functional.

sue

We put a TAS 56 new steering box out of
a snow plow. Got it from “vanderhags” a
truck parts supply place in the Midwest.
bolted a cat hydraulic pump up to the
air compressor, found a pitman arm from
a truck junkyard and we would not change
a thing, steering feel is perfect. And we have
the 53” tires on it.
Cost was less than $800

Nomad1

Are you trying to get somebody to sell you a air assist kit for under $750:grin:
I have a customer's A3 here now with air assist and previously got to work on another friend's A2 with the air assist.

I have driven 2 different A2's with Tom's (Waterloo Specialties) kits.

I have been offroading with none of the 4 vehicles.

I have no "dog in this hunt" as I have no relationship with either the air assist companies or Waterloo Specialties.

I do hate to say this as I have friend's selling air assist kits, but Tom's power steering kit is worlds better.

First, and this is entirely subjective: The air assist looks more vulnerable to me in an off-road environment.

Second: The air assist is an "assist" and not full blown "power steering". Now, don't get me wrong, it's worlds better than the stock manual steering but if you're expecting the same level of "boost" that your Dodge Ram or Honda Civic has, you shouldn't.

Third: When air assists were cheaper, I might have gotten one but now that their prices have gone up so much, Tom's kit is a no-brainer.

Like welldigger said, you have to look at the prices of each kit and decide what's best for you. For me, I don't have the money for Tom's kit, but when I have $1500 or whatever an air-assist kit is selling for................. I'll wait and keep putting money in the piggy bank until I have enough for Toms kit.

As I said above, the air assist is world's better than stock and I don't hate it, I just don't love it as much as Tom's hydraulic kit. If I found a air kit for $500-750, I'd buy it and install it on my personal truck.

Nomad1

I pretty much got my air assist for 45 dollars just need to figure a way to test it and need to find some install instructions
Are you talking the air assist kit that the military actually used in working condition for that money? Also I remember seeing somewhere on here some installation paper work.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Swap out the steering tie rod, install the plate on the passenger side spring, clamp air cyl to long tie rod, hook up air lines, drive with one hand!

Dunkeye11

I mostly just don’t know where the air lines would connect...

yea really cheap but I don’t know if it works 100% or not it’s used for sure all the rubber and hoses look good

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks