• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Buying an Original Unimog 404

99TCSig

Hello,

I am looking to buy an all original Unimog. The guy wants about $10,000. It is very original, all the maintenance has been done and it has brand new tires and canvas, as well as all the fluids changed. It also has only about 10000 km. Is buying an all original Unimog a good idea, or will things just began to break? What do you think? He says it shifts and runs just fine.

Thanks,
99TCSig

UNIMOG-GUY

First question is what do you want to do with the 404? Why a 404 and not a different model?

Pics are worth a 1000 words.... Seriously tho post up some pics it will help some of us who are more familiar with the 404 give you an opinion on it.

I personally wouldn't take anyone's word on changing fluids. I change any and all fluids asap once I purchase a vehicle. What if they consider changing the fluids was just the oil and coolant.

I don't think "things" will just begin to break. First off you are buying a Unimog they are extremely well built partially why you are probably interested in them. However you do have to remember that the last 404 was made in 1973 so there are maintenance issues that will arise just from the age of the vehicle. I replaced everything that was rubber on my 404 as soon as I got it (radiator hoses, brake lines etc). Just because I didn't want to have an issue with it while I was out driving. And there isn't anyway to know how old the rubber components are unless you replace them. I will tell you that a blown radiator hose in the middle of nowhere can ruin your day.

Last edited:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Basically, what was said above. I have owned a Swiss 404 since around 2000, the only things I have replaced were rubber products, fluids, and the wood in the bed is starting to go soft. Other than that, it has been extremely reliable.

Price depends on condition and where its from, the Swiss ones tend to bring slightly higher prices, mainly because most of them were in very good condition when surplussed off (mine looked almost new). And the Swiss don't salt their roads in winter!

Cheers

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oh, and don't expect to go anywhere fast. They will do 60mph on the level if you push them, but they really don't like it. You will break things if you push the speed. They are happiest around 45-50mph. At that speed, they will run all day, even in Texas.

Cheers

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cool Truck, All things can break and they seem to happen at the worse time. After buying cheap for a few vehicles that then required alot of money to get running properly I am now into spending more for a better vehicle. That said until you go onsite and spend a few hours going over every inch of the vehicle you really can never tell.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Before anyone freaks out, his link is to a CLOSED auction!

That is a Swiss truck, looks like a pretty complete and original. Bed tarp is not original, of course. Ask for the maintenance records that came with most Swiss 404's to see if the odometer is correct. Odometers on military vehicles are swapped out routinely, so are not usually a reliable way to judge mileage.

The piece of metal clipped on the passenger door is your fuel gauge, by the way! You dip it in the tank to see how much fuel you have. :)

Cheers

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I consider the care and feeding of the Unimog to be like most old vehicles: you must tinker with them much more than current vehicles, you find and catalog parts resources and make new friends with similar vehicles.
Good luck to you and let us know if you make the purchase!

Rick

UNIMOG-GUY

Still curious why you chose a 404?

It looks pretty good from the pics. No oil leaks from the engine, transmission or axles. It is missing a few miscellaneous parts however but they might be separate or you could purchase them from a vendor. I personally wouldn't pay 10k for it however in the condition that it's in.

Last edited:

99TCSig

I like the troop carrier part of the 404. Also, they are the cheapest to have. I don't have a whole ton of money, but a 404 is within the budget for me for this hobby.

PaFarmer

I think it looks pretty good. I would like to think it is worth $10,000, but ultimately that is for the buyer and seller to determine. From that auction, it was worth $7200 to a potential buyer and more than that to the seller.

I am taking mine to our rally at Rausch Creek at the end of the month. It is fun off road.

99TCSig

I think I am going to pass on this one. I can't go out and look at it, so I will just have to wait to find one that is closer. Thanks!

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The thing to remember is the age of this truck, Unimogs are the ultimate 4 x 4, they just start working when everything else has stopped! AGE of the truck is critical and if its truly original you are going to have some things come up that are going to need some attention. Rubber products have a shelf life, in my experience your going to be rebuilding the master brake cylinder, the fuel pump is going to need a rebuild, your going to have hoses that are going to be leaking, anything rubber is going to be a possible issue! Would that stop me from buying a really nice 404, NO just know what your getting into and know what you can expect!
KK

99TCSig

The thing to remember is the age of this truck, Unimogs are the ultimate 4 x 4, they just start working when everything else has stopped! AGE of the truck is critical and if its truly original you are going to have some things come up that are going to need some attention. Rubber products have a shelf life, in my experience your going to be rebuilding the master brake cylinder, the fuel pump is going to need a rebuild, your going to have hoses that are going to be leaking, anything rubber is going to be a possible issue! Would that stop me from buying a really nice 404, NO just know what your getting into and know what you can expect!
KK
Karl,
This is me Dave. I am the one that just bought your rig! Thanks for the input and I can't wait for that '68!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks